• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Road Hockley

hi juck
yes sure was the days of happiness and contentment well it was for me any way i did not live in park rd myself but i did use the pubs around there
i was like a sailor a girl in every port
and i had quite afew girl friends around on the park rd and lodge rd i will not name on hear incase some one is relative in one way or another
my now sister inlaw lived three doors from the hydralic pub across from scribonas
as i have said i used all the pubs around there but me and our kid would come out of the exchange and straight next door into the shipy of your aunts
to round of our nights run with a girl from brookie up the rd and incidently i mustadd yes the chips and peas was cracking and my grand fathers brother ran the coffee shop on the corner and aunt maud was the care taker in lodge rd
i wonder how those girls made out now as we are all older are they married divorced and to the point hgow many kids they ended up with
i often wonder do ladies ever think back in time about when they was young and about the lads they used to go out with when they was young
thanks for the memory juck i do have one memory of a family still whom i knew for years lived across the rd from the norton pub
and thats the nottinghams family three sister maggie patty and janet all ginger hairded girls and the brother whom was my good friend calleed freddie
named after his father fred from upper sutton street and moved to park rd i still wonder where they are now they also came from aston church rd nechells
juck thanks for restoring mymemories astonion
Hi Astonian, the Nottingham family u mentioned are my family. I'm the daughter of one of the ladies. I lived at 243
hi guys
getting back to park rd many years ago the 3 house where the white transit
out side was a very good old girl freind usd to live with her father and two
other sisters and a brother [ the white house ] they really did know how to
party [ maggie, janet , patty .pat went to live in baccus rd ] i beleive janet
went to live some where around the saltley gate and i do not know where
maggie went to live, after there dad died in that house but they orinated
from upper sutton street aston in the 60 ,s
thanks again lynn for those unforgettable moments astonian ;;;;;
Hi Antonian, I lived at 243 park road with my mom, two aunts and grandad.. the Nottingham family u mentioned.

hi dee i am sorry but astonian will not be able to reply to you as he sadly passed away last year...for members who may not know this the words gone but not forgotten underneath a members avatar denotes that they are no longer with us..it just the forums way of paying our repects

lyn

Last edited:
hi dee i am sorry but astonian will not be able to reply to you as he sadly passed away last year...for members who may not know this the words gone but not forgotten underneath a members avatar denotes that they are no longer with us..it just the forums way of paying our repects

lyn
Hi lyn,

I'm as very sorry to hear this, may he rest in peace, god bless.

Donna.

ParkRoadNo236Hockley-11-4-1957.jpg
hi brimmie. used to live in park road from 1950s to 1970s demolition time.i miss park road it would be nice to view your piks properly but i can not upload them. many thanks jim

Hello ex Park roaders.Ihave just joined.i lived at 236 the paper shop.I was a paperboy for a couple of years.1958-60.i have sadly learnt that Keith Bird has passed.Ialso remember--Derek Wardle ,Roger adams Kenneth Moore and his brother. I also remember lorraine Heath.(ihad a crush on her !) If i can help with any memories please let me know.My late brother in law Pete ran the shop after my mom retired

Hello ex Park roaders.Ihave just joined.i lived at 236 the paper shop.I was a paperboy for a couple of years.1958-60.i have sadly learnt that Keith Bird has passed.Ialso remember--Derek Wardle ,Roger adams Kenneth Moore and his brother. I also remember lorraine Heath.(ihad a crush on her !) If i can help with any memories please let me know.My late brother in law Pete ran the shop after my mom retired

hello ken and welcome to the forum...hope you enjoyed the photos of park road that are on this thread...hopefully someone will remember your family....enjoy

lyn

Looking at the photos in this thread I believe it could well be that the telephone box partly obstructed the pavement and might also have made vision for vehicles entering from Wharf Road difficult particularly as road vehicles were now far more in evidence than earlier times. The wall, where the box once stood does not seem to suggest any alteration.
Purely a guess, but if that is correct then maybe someone remembers where the box was re-sited especially as popstar mentioned the need by a large number of people for public telephones.
The phone box was added 1956-7 and stayed i think..but remember i am getting old and memory not as it was

other names i have thought of.--CLEWES,WARBOYS,RICHARDSON SUMMERS,MOODY.MRS HODNIT WHO LIVED IN WHARF ST.SHEILA RICHARDSON WHO WAS MY SISTER JANETS PAL LIVED IN WHARF LANE.MR AND MRS COLLIS WHO LIVED IN WHARF ST. JEAN HAYWARD WHO WORKED IN THE SHOP FOR A WHILE AND LIVED IN PARK ROAD TOWARDS THE CHAPEL

I have a friend who lived in Park Road - she does not have a computer so she won't have seen this. Her father ran the pub near Factory Road, I think it was called The Railway or The Engine or something similar. Her name was Susan Jenkins. Came from quite a large family, Dot, Maurice (Mossy), Shirley, Linda, Barry - cannot remember the others. Does anyone remember this family? I also had a friend whom I lost touch with who lived on The Pleck, which was near the railway bridge, her name was Carolyn Walker. I have been trying for ages to locate her, but although I know she lived at Frankley for some time, she seems to have moved away and I cannot trace her. Any help would be very appreciated.

Shortie
Yes I remember the family - I used to go to school with barry - noticed the pub has been turned into some type of other business now- real shame how the area has changed - as i live in the past there is hardly a day goes by where i do not think of park road - stewi

Phil, I sent over to my cousin in Canada your late brother's Park Road memories - and this was her reply.
I can absolutely remember everything. Who is Keith ? We lived at 170 Park Road and I bought a second hand bike from the Second hand shop opposite Goode St - it was a mans bike and I remember when I first had it I kept running it into the pavement and really hurting myself. I also remember going up to the sweet shopup by Abbey St - I think that is the name of street and I also used to take the ration book up every Sunday to get 6d of sweets. I remember getting some fish and chips from that shop just round the corner from Ford St And you know - what Keith said is exactly how I feel about it - I have lots of fond memories from living there. Mom used to work at Pascalls opposite your house in Ford Street. She also cleaned in the Abbey pub just at the corner of Park Rd. Our house was on the front but we had to go up the entry, up the yard and it was the last toilet on the left. And we used newspaper tore off a piece of the newspaper hanging on a nail on the back of the door. If I went to someone's outdoor toilet where there were pieces of paper hanging on a nail I used to think that they were posh. I worked at the cake shop on the flat - I just cant remember the name but I worked there and it was in the middle of the flat on the right side. We used to go to the Co-op on Friday and we would go the greengrocer on the left hand side of the flat It was a big shop. Oh my God this has so delighted me - you tell Keith (if you know him that is) that he has brought back so many memories

Yes I remember the family - I used to go to school with barry - noticed the pub has been turned into some type of other business now- real shame how the area has changed - as i live in the past there is hardly a day goes by where i do not think of park road - stewi
Yes the old engine I knew Barry & his sister - nice family

Lyn, this picture I have posted before. That is me leaning on the car and that's my mother standing at the bottom of the entry with 114 to her right. That was the first car I can remember having a ride in. It belonged to the elderly couple who lived at the top of the yard and they used to baby sit me while mom and dad brought in the pennies.
Hi I seem to remember the car - what year was photo taken ? Stewi

Hello Ken, You mention Roger Adams, do you ever remember him having a Bond 3-wheeler? Regards RobT

Hello Ken, You mention Roger Adams, do you ever remember him having a Bond 3-wheeler? Regards RobT
a motor cycle about 1963 then in 1967 he had a triumph tr4a sports car.First time i did over the ton in a car.! last time i saw him.Didn't he emigrate to Australia?.regards Ken

Last edited:
Hi just noticed you said paper shop - would that be Westons corner of Goode Street and Park Road ? Stewi
No,it was Wilkes the paper shop corner of park road and wharf lane.After school i served in the shop and also did a paper round.Regards Ken

Last edited:
Hi Astonia, I am sorry I dont remember a Carol Fisher. (The only Fisher I recall was Miss Fisher at Hockley Pentecostal Church on The flat) It seemed that Carol was a very popular name at the time. I remember Carol Gregory and Carol Jones. The people who owned the shop were called Munro. Also turning left onto Park Road from Abbey street there was another little grocers shop with an entry next to it, and then my cousin lived the other side of the entry there name was Timmins.

Back