• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Road Hockley

Hi Lyn

This does not show what want but its an interesting photo anyway -- probably late 1940's judging by Mr Jefferesons car (a Lanchester I think with its roof rack for carrying boxes of vegetables from the market). Also the "Red" telephone box is missing from outside Wilkes Newsagent.
Thanks anyway

David
Hi Lyn

This does not show what want but its an interesting photo anyway -- probably late 1940's judging by Mr Jefferesons car (a Lanchester I think with its roof rack for carrying boxes of vegetables from the market). Also the "Red" telephone box is missing from outside Wilkes Newsagent.
Thanks anyway

David
I lived at 253 Park Road from 1948 to 1961 and the phone box was always their. Roger.

I have a friend who lived in Park Road - she does not have a computer so she won't have seen this. Her father ran the pub near Factory Road, I think it was called The Railway or The Engine or something similar. Her name was Susan Jenkins. Came from quite a large family, Dot, Maurice (Mossy), Shirley, Linda, Barry - cannot remember the others. Does anyone remember this family? I also had a friend whom I lost touch with who lived on The Pleck, which was near the railway bridge, her name was Carolyn Walker. I have been trying for ages to locate her, but although I know she lived at Frankley for some time, she seems to have moved away and I cannot trace her. Any help would be very appreciated.

Shortie
Hi Shortie!
Came across an old comment of yours in the Birmingham Forum about a pub in Park Road. Could the pub be The Old Engine which was down by the railway bridge? I am trying to find a photo and any hep would be appreciated

Hi Shortie!
Came across an old comment of yours in the Birmingham Forum about a pub in Park Road. Could the pub be The Old Engine which was down by the railway bridge? I am trying to find a photo and any hep would be appreciated

Hi Shortie!
Hi Shortie. The pub on the corner of Norton Street was the Railway. Further down on the right hand side on the corner of Factory road and Park road was the Soho Tavern, further down on the same side was the Engine just before the bridge. my dad was a regular in the Soho Tavern, his name was Clem Moody, he also used the Wonder Vaults in Benson Road and the Don in Lodge road. I went to Benson Road school in the early 1950s and lived at 253 Park Road. Roger.

Hi. My name is Roger Moody and I lived at 253 Park Road from1948 until 1962. The car Bill Jefforson had was a 1938 Austin 18 which he sold to me in 1961 for£20. I used to help him in the mornings getting his fruit and veg outside and of a Christmas help him dress his turkeys. We backed onto Soho Pool Wharf and of a night we were rocked to sleep by the sound of the trains shunting. if I can be of any help in what you are looking for please get in t

Hi Roger, saw your post and wondered how your brother Tony is? I was in the same class at Benson Road as Tony and went to your house a couple of times, skipping over the wall onto the embankment down to the Soho Pool Wharf. I lived at the bottom of Norton Street, opposite the Railway Tavern and also used to love the sound of the trains shunting and the clatter of the trucks when the bumpers met - Roger Parker, if you chat to Tony.

Hi Roger, saw your post and wondered how your brother Tony is? I was in the same class at Benson Road as Tony and went to your house a couple of times, skipping over the wall onto the embankment down to the Soho Pool Wharf. I lived at the bottom of Norton Street, opposite the Railway Tavern and also used to love the sound of the trains shunting and the clatter of the trucks when the bumpers met - Roger Parker, if you chat to Tony.
Hi Roger - remember you well, hope you and family all ok. Happy memories of Park Road/Norton Street, mom worked for a spell at the McDougals flour factory just up the way from you if I remember correctly but had to pack it up as she was allergic to it (the flour that is not the work!). My brother Roger and I had a shock when we returned several years ago and saw what they had done to the wharf that ran at the back of our house although I have to say it was an improvement but still prefer the memories of how it was. I am still upset with you for winning all my marbles off me, still reckon you were cheating lol!! Great memories of Benson Road and Miss Legge, she was also the headmistress for both Roger and my sister Jean who was 9 years older than me so she had been around for some time and if I remember correctly was made a dame. Strangely I can hardly recollect any of the other teachers so I must have stayed out of trouble. Hope you are keeping well - Tony

Hi Roger - remember you well, hope you and family all ok. Happy memories of Park Road/Norton Street, mom worked for a spell at the McDougals flour factory just up the way from you if I remember correctly but had to pack it up as she was allergic to it (the flour that is not the work!). My brother Roger and I had a shock when we returned several years ago and saw what they had done to the wharf that ran at the back of our house although I have to say it was an improvement but still prefer the memories of how it was. I am still upset with you for winning all my marbles off me, still reckon you were cheating lol!! Great memories of Benson Road and Miss Legge, she was also the headmistress for both Roger and my sister Jean who was 9 years older than me so she had been around for some time and if I remember correctly was made a dame. Strangely I can hardly recollect any of the other teachers so I must have stayed out of trouble. Hope you are keeping well - Tony
Hi Tony, I hope you and your family are well, too. I know what you mean about the industrial estate - better in some ways but the Goods Yard always seemed better. Winning your marbles? Can't quite remember that but whatever happened, I'm losing my marbles gradually now! I loved Benson Road School and Miss Legge always seemed to have the air of authority but also kindness and she deserved some reward for looking after all of us. I remember Mr Griffiths, Mr Taylor & Mr Evans as teachers. I'm attaching two maps which show a proposed road on the wharf in a pre-1884 map, then another for 1888 with the first four lines of the yard. They also show that the canal used to cross the railway from Lodge Road, to Wharf Lane (which is why it and Wharf Street were named wharf, obviously). I'm not sure when this section of canal was removed (either through a leak or maybe bomb damage)? There may be a couple of other interesting bits to look at. Best wishes, Rog

Attachments

• Soho Pool Wharf 1888.jpg
    Soho Pool Wharf 1888.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 45
  • Soho Pool Wharf pre-1884.jpg
    Soho Pool Wharf pre-1884.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 44
Hi Tony, I hope you and your family are well, too. I know what you mean about the industrial estate - better in some ways but the Goods Yard always seemed better. Winning your marbles? Can't quite remember that but whatever happened, I'm losing my marbles gradually now! I loved Benson Road School and Miss Legge always seemed to have the air of authority but also kindness and she deserved some reward for looking after all of us. I remember Mr Griffiths, Mr Taylor & Mr Evans as teachers. I'm attaching two maps which show a proposed road on the wharf in a pre-1884 map, then another for 1888 with the first four lines of the yard. They also show that the canal used to cross the railway from Lodge Road, to Wharf Lane (which is why it and Wharf Street were named wharf, obviously). I'm not sure when this section of canal was removed (either through a leak or maybe bomb damage)? There may be a couple of other interesting bits to look at. Best wishes, Rog
Hi Rog - many thanks for the maps. Had to smile when I saw the 'Lunatic Asylum', don't think in these PC days that would be allowed now!. My uncle Joe was a nurse there, he lived in Bacchus Road so did not have far to go to work. Talking of Bacchus Road I always remember using the baths there as we had no running hot water, it was a tanner for the smallest piece of soap you have ever seen and a council towel that was as stiff as a board. Me and my mate Stan Wassell (remember him) used to double up so we would save a tanner and the attendant would regulate the amount of hot water you had with an allen key that fitted the tap!. Happy days, take care, Tony

Yep, the PC brigade would go mad about that - there was also the "Royal Hospital for Crippled Children" on Bristol Road, Northfield (Royal Orthopaedic) and there must have been many more. I remember Stanley Wassell - did he live in Devonshire Road, or Avenue? We never used the baths in Bacchus Road, we always used the old tin bath, although the baths would probably have been less fuss and cleaner! At some stage during (probably) the last year at Benson Road, I took a Kodak box camera to school and I took four pictures - three of some of the lads (one with two teachers on it) and another of five of the girls. You're on one of the photos, a group of 10 - I don't know if you'd like to see it? Regards, Rog

Yep, the PC brigade would go mad about that - there was also the "Royal Hospital for Crippled Children" on Bristol Road, Northfield (Royal Orthopaedic) and there must have been many more. I remember Stanley Wassell - did he live in Devonshire Road, or Avenue? We never used the baths in Bacchus Road, we always used the old tin bath, although the baths would probably have been less fuss and cleaner! At some stage during (probably) the last year at Benson Road, I took a Kodak box camera to school and I took four pictures - three of some of the lads (one with two teachers on it) and another of five of the girls. You're on one of the photos, a group of 10 - I don't know if you'd like to see it? Regards, Rog
Hi Rog - I believe it was Devonshire Avenue, I know it was just up the road from the 'wreck' as we used to call it. Yes please I would love to see the photos, I wonder if I have changed much? lol Take care - Tony

Hi Rog - I believe it was Devonshire Avenue, I know it was just up the road from the 'wreck' as we used to call it. Yes please I would love to see the photos, I wonder if I have changed much? lol Take care - Tony
I'll sort them out and scan them - a little bit of history in itself. I've also got a photo of the football team - the only one with me on them. Regards Rog

Hi Tony - took a while to find them but here they are. Picture quality may be lacking at times but I wish I'd taken more at the time.

Here is a note of people in the photos - there are a few gaps, so if you know of any of these names, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Football team: (Back) (l-r) Raymond Avery, Paul Weir, Philip Mansell, Tony Beecham, ?, Roger Parker, Michael Hankin, (Middle) A Fields, Mr Phillips (Manager), Emlyn Yeend (Captain), Unett ?, Jackson, (Front) Kenny Dovey & Peter Smith

Benson Belles: Linda Mann, Patricia Ridgway, Susan Pickering, Pamela Hadley & Denise Bowen

(1) (Left group, top to bottom) Raymond Avery, ?, ?, David ? - Mr Evans - (Middle Group, top to bottom) Alan Ball, Karl Roper, Emlyn Yeend, Michael Hankin - Mr Phillips (Right) Tony Beecham)

(2) (Back, L-R) Michael Hankin, Karl Roper, Tony Moody, Emlyn Yeend, Alan Ball, Lawrence Parkes, ?, Christopher Bilboe
(Front) Peter George & Tony Waters

(3) (Back, L-R) Raymond Avery, Michael Hankin, Tony Beecham, Alan Ball, Lawrence Parkes, Paul Weir
(Middle) Peter George, Christopher Bilboe, Philip Mansell (Front) Emlyn Yeend, Tony Waters

(4) Emlyn Yeend, Paul Weir, Philip Mansell

Hope it brings back a few memories.

Regards

Rog

Attachments

• Benson Road School Football team 1961-62.jpg
    Benson Road School Football team 1961-62.jpg
    561.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Benson Road School, 1962 - Benson Belles.jpg
    Benson Road School, 1962 - Benson Belles.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
  • Benson Road School, 1962 (1).jpg
    Benson Road School, 1962 (1).jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Benson Road School, 1962 (2).jpg
    Benson Road School, 1962 (2).jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Benson Road School, 1962 (3).jpg
    Benson Road School, 1962 (3).jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Benson Road School, 1962 (4).jpg
    Benson Road School, 1962 (4).jpg
    619.6 KB · Views: 51
Hi Tony - took a while to find them but here they are. Picture quality may be lacking at times but I wish I'd taken more at the time.

Here is a note of people in the photos - there are a few gaps, so if you know of any of these names, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Football team: (Back) (l-r) Raymond Avery, Paul Weir, Philip Mansell, Tony Beecham, ?, Roger Parker, Michael Hankin, (Middle) A Fields, Mr Phillips (Manager), Emlyn Yeend (Captain), Unett ?, Jackson, (Front) Kenny Dovey & Peter Smith

Benson Belles: Linda Mann, Patricia Ridgway, Susan Pickering, Pamela Hadley & Denise Bowen

(1) (Left group, top to bottom) Raymond Avery, ?, ?, David ? - Mr Evans - (Middle Group, top to bottom) Alan Ball, Karl Roper, Emlyn Yeend, Michael Hankin - Mr Phillips (Right) Tony Beecham)

(2) (Back, L-R) Michael Hankin, Karl Roper, Tony Moody, Emlyn Yeend, Alan Ball, Lawrence Parkes, ?, Christopher Bilboe
(Front) Peter George & Tony Waters

(3) (Back, L-R) Raymond Avery, Michael Hankin, Tony Beecham, Alan Ball, Lawrence Parkes, Paul Weir
(Middle) Peter George, Christopher Bilboe, Philip Mansell (Front) Emlyn Yeend, Tony Waters

(4) Emlyn Yeend, Paul Weir, Philip Mansell

Hope it brings back a few memories.

Regards

Rog
Hi Rog - many thanks for the photos, my god the memories they have triggered! Cant believe I was the only one wearing a cap something I adopted more as I got older and started to lose my hair. Afraid i can’t help with the unidentified ones but I am amazed how you have remembered all the names, did you record them at the time? . Particularly sad to see Peter George who I remember tragically died of leukaemia when he was only 16 or 17, used to live off one of the roads that ran from Bacchus Road I believe. I was very close to Emlyn Yeend especially when we went to the same senior school (William Murdoch, Rookery Road) but have lost touch over the years. He could fight for Britain and stood up to anyone regardless of their size or age. I remember one fight he had with an older lad at the wreck that went on for what seemed like hours with neither giving way. Strange that I was not in the football team photo but think this was probably due to my breaking my leg at home around that time although I must admit I was never that good. One noticeable absentee from the photos was the lad I mentioned before ie Stanley Wassell but he may have been away that day. Am I correct in remembering that you passed the 11 plus? - my memory again is hazy on this but I believe I got a second shot at it at Kings Edwards school but still failed, does that ring any bells? Once again Rog many thanks for taking the time to upload those photos, I really enjoyed seeing them. All the best - Tony

Hi Tony
Sorry for the delay. I made a note of the names a number of years later, which is why I couldn't remember all of them! There's one person I've found something else about - it was Alan Jackson standing next to Peter Dovey in the footie team.
You're right about Peter George - I suppose that was the first death I ever experienced of someone that I knew. I thought that you were decent at football - better than me, anyway. I was only useful because I was a bit bigger but that doesn't mean you can control a ball that well! I remember Emlyn challenging me to a fight for no apparent reason, as we were reasonable friends but I just said no, there wasn't anything to fight about and so it didn't happen. That's perhaps as well because he'd have battered me to death within a minute. Glad you enjoyed them - I posted them onto the Facebook page for Winson Green, too. All the best, Rog

Hi Tony
Sorry for the delay. I made a note of the names a number of years later, which is why I couldn't remember all of them! There's one person I've found something else about - it was Alan Jackson standing next to Peter Dovey in the footie team.
You're right about Peter George - I suppose that was the first death I ever experienced of someone that I knew. I thought that you were decent at football - better than me, anyway. I was only useful because I was a bit bigger but that doesn't mean you can control a ball that well! I remember Emlyn challenging me to a fight for no apparent reason, as we were reasonable friends but I just said no, there wasn't anything to fight about and so it didn't happen. That's perhaps as well because he'd have battered me to death within a minute. Glad you enjoyed them - I posted them onto the Facebook page for Winson Green, too. All the best, Rog
Hi Rog - yes that sounds like Emlyn bless him. Actually one of your photos triggered another memory where Peter George was on top of Emlyn. I am sure when he got up he started on Peter - amazing what you remember. I can’t remember anything at all about the teachers, even your excellent photos did not stir any memories which I think is quite strange as I would have thought there would have been something. Christmases there were very special I seem to recall and unless I dreamt it did we not play at the town hall one year. I think I played a horse to the sound of Tchaikovsky’s 1812 overture - work that one out!!. Happy days - once again great to hear from you - take care - Tony

Hi Tony
It really is peculiar what everybody remembers about early school (or anything, come to that). I can't recall anything about Christmas at Benson and there's just a vague memory of the Town Hall but I don't know why. I remember a few of us (don't know who), running 100 times around the school buildings after school - goodness knows why, it just seemed like a good idea. I remember our 'games' lesson was held on a pitch at the top of Rookery Road but I don't recall how we got there (or Grove Lane baths) - presumably by bus? I also remember the very small sweet shop, just down the road from school on the same side and I seem to recall buying a 'jubbly' triangular orange flavoured ice block from there but I'm amazed now that they would have had a freezer? Looking back now, I'm wondering how the hell we didn't walk to and from Benson together at all, as we both went the same way? I hated school dinners so went home every day, sometimes stopping at the chippy on Park Road and getting 3 x 4 penn'orth of chips and maybe some 'scratchings' (bits of loose batter'), to take home for lunch with my mum and brother, who both worked at Griffith, Gilbart & Lloyd. Happy days!

Hi Tony
It really is peculiar what everybody remembers about early school (or anything, come to that). I can't recall anything about Christmas at Benson and there's just a vague memory of the Town Hall but I don't know why. I remember a few of us (don't know who), running 100 times around the school buildings after school - goodness knows why, it just seemed like a good idea. I remember our 'games' lesson was held on a pitch at the top of Rookery Road but I don't recall how we got there (or Grove Lane baths) - presumably by bus? I also remember the very small sweet shop, just down the road from school on the same side and I seem to recall buying a 'jubbly' triangular orange flavoured ice block from there but I'm amazed now that they would have had a freezer? Looking back now, I'm wondering how the hell we didn't walk to and from Benson together at all, as we both went the same way? I hated school dinners so went home every day, sometimes stopping at the chippy on Park Road and getting 3 x 4 penn'orth of chips and maybe some 'scratchings' (bits of loose batter'), to take home for lunch with my mum and brother, who both worked at Griffith, Gilbart & Lloyd. Happy days!
Hi Rog - my brother recalls that sweet shop as well and the fact that their cat used to lie on top of the sweets in the window which is something that I also recall (must have been an old cat!). Would be closed down these days but I also loved their ‘jublees’ especially the half frozen ones. We used to get a special bus to Grove Lane baths (and Rookery Road) and I remember Stanley Wassell pushing me in before I could swim (actually still can’t to this day probably because of that!). Remember the chip shop well and remember being embarrassed by my mom when she told the woman who ran it that I thought she was beautiful, rarely went in after that and used the one in Ninevah Road. Actually I have a morbid memory of a child being run over in front of the chip shop and the owner putting a blanket over him until the ambulance arrived. I was on my way home for lunch (like you did not like the school dinners) when it happened and when I was returning a policeman was breaking the news to his mother that he had died. Things like that you never forget. Cant think why we never walked together to/from school perhaps one of us liked to get there early something I am renown for to this day! All the best - Tony

Hi Tony
Yes, the cat! I'd forgotten about that, it always seemed to be there but it never put me off buying sweets (nothing ever did). I also used to like the licorice sticks (like pieces of a branch). How amazing that I can't recall catching the bus to Rookery Road or Grove Lane? I never learned to swim either, although I can't recall being pushed in. As soon as my legs leave the ground I'm petrified. You must have been a bit more forward than me because I can't remember a beautiful lady at the chippie but I can understand how embarrassed you were. So you used to go to the Nineveh Road chippie - opposite the Handsworth Central WMC? Now THAT chippie had probably the best chips I've ever tasted and I remember years later when I lived in Harborne, driving down there because I just had the taste of those chips in my mind. I suppose the death of that child would always have been at the back of your mind when you went there, though?
Well if you got to school early, the chances are that you were there before me. My excuse is that I was the forerunner of the 'Just In Time' planning for re-stocking employed so many years later by industry. I only needed to be at school just in time for the lessons. One thing I disliked about Benson (but it would have been at any school) was the small bottle of milk we were given. I've never liked milk on its own (unless it's a milk shake) and I was also not that bothered about being a milk monitor, especially when it was freezing cold, or raining.
I remember being made to stay in at playtime once by Mr Griffiths, with Christopher Bilboe and another, I'm not sure what we had done wrong. Our punishment was to write out the Lord's Prayer 25 times. When he came in to check how we had done, I hadn't written it down once! I honestly couldn't remember the words at all - I must have just followed what everybody said, a bit like if you forget the words of a song for a quarter of a second, the beginning consonant of the singer can immediately jog your memory so it seems as though you never forgot the words. Needless to say he was not too pleased and I don't think he thought I was very religious after that.
I also remember being taught how to tell the time and when the lesson started, it seemed as though I was the only one who didn't have a clue (maybe that's another reason why I just scraped into school on time?). Regards, Rog

hi guys
getting back to park rd many years ago the 3 house where the white transit
out side was a very good old girl freind usd to live with her father and two
other sisters and a brother [ the white house ] they really did know how to
party [ maggie, janet , patty .pat went to live in baccus rd ] i beleive janet
went to live some where around the saltley gate and i do not know where
maggie went to live, after there dad died in that house but they orinated
from upper sutton street aston in the 60 ,s
thanks again lynn for those unforgettable moments astonian ;;;;;
:)

Back