• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Road Hockley

Sad indeed. My parents married in 1942 and moved to Park Road in that year. They both worked at Rabones, just down the road at the Abbey Works.

Hi all, just as a matter of interest to anyone who lived in Park Rd, the secondhand shop almost opposite the pub called the Royal Exchange was known as Bibbys, I believe they were Irish people, between the Exchange and further down my Grans chip shop, was a rather grotty shop called Sterns, who made various toffee products, he was a rather unsavory person always trying to entice young boys in particular into his shop, my father would always warn us about him, but his toffee was very good. Regards Eddyjay.

Hi Folks, plenty of good pics on the thread but no plan of a typical back to back (correct me if I'm wrong) so I've started to put one together for the sake of posterity (I'm a native of Heaton Street 1949-1959 and I've done the same on that thread).
I know the plan is good but it's not right.
I had close relatives that lived on the Hockley Station end of Park Road, in a back to back in the late 40s - early 50s, they had 6 children, goodness knows how they managed: 8 people - 2 bedrooms (why on earth did they have 6 children????) Anyway back to the plan - It's as close as I can recall from memory, but nearly 60 years have passed. I need your help - there is a void, shown in green, which I cannot explain, it would not be there if the scullery and range projected into the living room but as I recall they didn't.
Any suggestions? I'm more than happy to make revisions as necessary.

Regards,
Peg.

Bus Conductor.jpg

Last edited:
Peg Monkey...I lived at 1/114 Park Rd which would have been on your drawing below the entry where it says Adjoining dwelling. It was slightly different to your drawing as I remember it. The Front door would have been next to the entry with the stairs door on the back wall in the right corner. Next to the stairs we had a very narrow pantry with the door to the cellar in there. We didn't have a range only a coal fire which was on the right hand wall as you entered the front door.

Peg Monkey...I lived at 1/114 Park Rd which would have been on your drawing below the entry where it says Adjoining dwelling. It was slightly different to your drawing as I remember it. The Front door would have been next to the entry with the stairs door on the back wall in the right corner. Next to the stairs we had a very narrow pantry with the door to the cellar in there. We didn't have a range only a coal fire which was on the right hand wall as you entered the front door.
Hi terryb18, it sounds like you lived very close to my relatives' entry, which I estimate was only 2 or 3 up from the junction with All Saints' Road. It appears, whilst the back to back houses were similar, the court yard layout depended on the road layout close-by. I'm still filling some of the gaps in my memory, can I impose on you for your recollections on the following?
1. Were your 2 bedrooms on the first floor?
2. How many dwellings were there in your court yard?
3. Was your cellar grating (where you tipped the coal down) outside underneath the living room window?
4. I'm still trying to account for the green void - it's not there in reality, one explanation is the scullery and chimney breast intruded into the living room, but my memory tells me that wasn't the case, can you recall?

Thanks for the info' so far, my serious omission was the cellar - obvious really - coal fire - coal had to be store somewhere (I recall youngsters fetching barrow loads of coal from nearby dealers - no bagged stuff, all loose, sometimes coke, I guess it was cheaper as some of its heat value had been removed (used for producing town gas - I believe heated without flame).

Regards,
Peg.

PS Gas meter robbery was rife, shillings I think, if your meter was robbed you stood the loss.

Years ago, when my children were very small and before North Sea gas closed local gas producing plants, I used to buy coke. It was much lighter in weight - you got a 'big bang for the buck' as they say. It was also cleaner than coal with less residue and gave off a greater heat than coal particularly once it was lit as it had a wonderful bright red glow.

Hi Peg,, in answer to your questions....1. We had 2 bedrooms, mom and dads on the first floor, and mine in the attic. 2. There were 6 houses in our yard, 4 at the bottom and 2 at the top, with the brewhouse and a toilet halfway up the yard on the right hand wall. (I can only remember 1 toilet) Houses were numbered 1-6. 3.The Cellar grating was underneath the living room window. 4. I am not sure if I can answer that except to say that the pantry did'nt intrude and I cannot remember a chimey breast, just the hearth against next doors wall. I have attached a couple of pics, one showing my father holding me which looks like outside next door. The brickwork behind him covered the cellar grating. They must all have been knocked down as I cannot remember them. The other picture is of me on Coronation day standing by the living room window and just next to the cellar grating.
harry gorse 2.jpg me at coronation age 6.jpg

Hi Peg,, in answer to your questions....1. We had 2 bedrooms, mom and dads on the first floor, and mine in the attic. 2. There were 6 houses in our yard, 4 at the bottom and 2 at the top, with the brewhouse and a toilet halfway up the yard on the right hand wall. (I can only remember 1 toilet) Houses were numbered 1-6. 3.The Cellar grating was underneath the living room window. 4. I am not sure if I can answer that except to say that the pantry did'nt intrude and I cannot remember a chimey breast, just the hearth against next doors wall. I have attached a couple of pics, one showing my father holding me which looks like outside next door. The brickwork behind him covered the cellar grating. They must all have been knocked down as I cannot remember them. The other picture is of me on Coronation day standing by the living room window and just next to the cellar grating.
View attachment 114236 View attachment 114237
Thanks terryb18 for the invaluable info', I was inspired to extend the plan from a single dwelling to a courtyard of dwellings.
this is my best effort attached, and is the result of bits of info from a number of sources. I'm still not happy that the scullery is right, but it's the only way I can join the houses without a void, it will have to do for now until someone comes forward with a suggestion or I get some more info' from somewhere.
You might recognise the courtyard it's quite distinctive - like an arrowhead, it's the last courtyard before the junction of Park Road with All Saints' Road. If you haven't used Lyn's map she posted on the Harry Lucas School Thread page 5 it's worth checking out (https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=52.4959&lon=-1.9081&layers=176&b=6) The map opens at Burbury/HLS School but just navigate left and you'll some come to the arrowhead courtyard. Have I got the house numbers correct?

Regards,
Peg.

Bus Conductor.jpg

Last edited:
Peg, not quite, I am not very good at this, but I have tried to do a diagram the best I could. Hopefully it will show you as it was. The map image shows the yard I lived in, coloured green.
Terry

Attachments

• converted.jpg
    converted.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 31
Peg, not quite, I am not very good at this, but I have tried to do a diagram the best I could. Hopefully it will show you as it was. The map image shows the yard I lived in, coloured green.
Terry
Thanks Terry, you lived on a different part of Park Rd than I imagined.
Peg.

Last edited:
hi peg what number park road did your rellies live at...maybe mike could post a map highlighting it for you..if you are not sure of the number if you give us their names i could do an e roll look up for you..

lyn

hi peg what number park road did your rellies live at...maybe mike could post a map highlighting it for you..if you are not sure of the number if you give us their names i could do an e roll look up for you..

lyn
Hi lyn, I don't have the number, I do remember the entry being somewhere along the section of Park Road between the junction with Lodge Road and the junction with All Saints' Road, the only other bits of info' I can be sure of include: as you entered their court yard there were two houses in front of you and their house was the first on the right. It appears the courtyard on my plan #137 fits the criteria pretty closely, but again, as is usual, it doesn't quite fit, because your map does not show the toilet/brewhouse where I know it was.

Last bits of information: surname Horton, Floss & George, rehoused to Kingstanding c1960.

Regards,
Peg.

In 1955 George & Fanny Horton lived at 2 back 52 Park road, and George & Florence Horton lived at 1 back 50 Park Road

hi peg 1955 e rolls show at

2/52 park road...george and fanny horton and at

1/50 park road.. george and florence horton...

if mike sees this post he may post a map showing those numbers for you

lyn

Last edited:
snap mike we posted together...could peg have a map please highlighting those numbers...looks like a poss 2 sets of his rellies living near to each other...

lyn

Back