• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Road Hockley

Lyn, if it is 114, then I used to live in the yard behind it. Right opposite was Whitmore St.

Lyn, this picture I have posted before. That is me leaning on the car and that's my mother standing at the bottom of the entry with 114 to her right. That was the first car I can remember having a ride in. It belonged to the elderly couple who lived at the top of the yard and they used to baby sit me while mom and dad brought in the pennies.

Attachments

• park rd 2222 (Medium).jpg
    park rd 2222 (Medium).jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 70
Lyn, if it is 114, then I used to live in the yard behind it. Right opposite was Whitmore St.

terry mike is very good at this sort of thing...if he spots your post im sure he will be able to work out the numbering for you...wonder who those children are posing for the camera

lyn

what a smashing photo terry...would know you anywhere lol cant recall seeing it before to be honest...so what exactly was your address then?

lyn

Lyn On this map, where I have marked it red, that is Whitmore St, and where I have marked it blue was the yard I lived in. This side of the road was all even numbers.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 51
Hi terry
Yes indeed its a little cracker looking at it reminds me of the old days when me and my younger kid
Used to knock around there and drink in those pubs up and around there
And looking at the picture on your left hand close to the sighting of the flat
There appears to be a part figure of a concrete mixer on the road just merely showing
And it would roughly be where a girl i used to court there namely Carol and she had a cousin
Right next door namely Jackie and she used to go with the lad from thecafe on the flat
His first name was Gino i am not allowed to give surnames as they are alive today
And also across from that mixer was the pub we used
And across from that pub around the corner was charles Harris Bake light moulders
Where my father worked for years until his death in 1958 Along side our lovely
Members mother Sylvia, whom told me of the dirty conditions they had to endure
When he died they had a works collection of money for my mother
There used to be a lub as well yards from it called the Fireman which i beleive no/one
As ever mentioned on this forum along with Hydraulic facing scribonas bakery
Thanks for those memories for me in my youth they was great days beleive
Best wishes as always Astonian,,,Alan,,,,

thanks for the map terry...you were just round the corner then from our dads aunt who lived in piddock st...

Below is a larger scale map showing no 114. It looks right for the house where half of it can be seen on the far right being no 14, but don't think I can be 100% sure.

Attachments

• map c 1950 showing 114 Park Road, hockley.jpg
    map c 1950 showing 114 Park Road, hockley.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 37
Thanks Mike, I am pretty sure it is 114. In the first pic I posted in post #102 look at the lampost, then in my 2nd pic in post #106, if you look through the car windscreen on the right hand side just to the left of the wiper, I am sure you can see the lampost, only about 10 years earlier. I must have climbed it countless times swinging on the arms that used to stick out. I just wish I had a picture of the yard I lived in. This picture I am posting was taken in 1947 and the woman who is holding me lived at 114, her name was Renee Stokes. My house is the one with the door open.

Attachments

• 1947, renee stokes.JPG
    1947, renee stokes.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 58
Hi Carol
What year are you referring to regards the fireman, because i know it was the fireman
As i was a local in early years have you got the right pub in and the rignt years
I can only say it must had been later years after the sixty,s
When they change lodge road around and the alteration of the flat
They blocked off you driving up lodge road and they built a big block of flats
Right on the corner where the pub was on the corner of park road
If you recall the terace houses half way up the hill on your right hand
The pub which was on the corner and walk up the hill to the houses there was big yards and terraces
I used to go out with a girl named Sylvia from the terrace next to it
In the fifties and sixty one period and when you crossed over the road and walked up the hill
On the opersite side facing Scibonas bakery that was the Hydralic pub
And my sister inlaw now whom i knew her before i got married to my old dutchess tess
Whom is her elder sister we used to court in her house
Lived two doors next to the Hydralic and if we came kut of the front door and crossed over
And walked back down for about eighty yards that was the old fireman
And in the summer months there was scores of people and familys on a ,summer evening
All from the terraces sitting on the stools they brought out side with there kids
On wednesday this week i am travelling to birmingham ,i am going to ,king standing
And I Am Attending my 1st Cousin,s funetal at Witton Lodge Cemetry whom i was very close to
From young to old age ,
And I Shall be meeting my younger brother whom lives in kingsheath for the first time in twenty years
And he his the young brother whom spent is time in all those pubs with friends of the area
Mainly the one on the corner and the fireman and one abit further up park street
Roy is his name and he was a very popular guy friends of the cotteralls and the fisher family
Was his main drinking partner
I will asked him the question about the fireman pub and i will come back to you on this
But i am eighty percecnt sure it was the firreman in those days
Best wishes Alan,,,Astonian,,,

Morning Alan, the pub I am referring to was by the 96 bus stop. The only other one could be this one which is further down from Scibbans and by the terraces and towards The Flat - All Saints TavernAll Saints Tavern Lodge Road.jpeg

Hi Mikejee, I like the way you post street maps with house numbers would it be possible to show maps for 2/214 and 298 Park Road as well please. I lived at 2/214 from 1952 to 1969 and my grandparents lived a t 298. The stretch of road from Abbey Street past the Railway Tavern Pub would be good.

Here you are Phil

Attachments

• map c 1950 ahowing 2 back 214 and 298 Park Road.jpg
    map c 1950 ahowing 2 back 214 and 298 Park Road.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 50
Hi Carolina,
What's the date of the article? When I lived at 2/214 those living at 216 were Gordon Parr and his mother Mrs. Parr, I forget her first name. The memory that stands out for me about Mrs Parr is she would make Egg Custard, in a cup, for anyone who was ill.
Cheers
Phil

Back