• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Road Hockley

In the course of researching my family history I have become intrigued by the property the family rented, from late 1942 to mid 1966, in Birmingham. This was No 274 Park Road, Hockley, which was situated between Wharf Street/Norton Street and Wharf Lane, looking out over Soho Pool Wharf. It was built as a “Grocers and Tea Merchants” shop in the mid 1860’s but for the greater part of the 1900’s it operated as a “Pawnbrokers”. We occupied the property as private tenants before being re-housed, by the Council, prior to its demolition in about 1966/67.
I now have a comprehensive history of No274, and the adjacent properties, and I am putting the researched information into a document, as I believe that this shop was a significant feature of the social development of Park Road and Hockley.
I would like to include an image (photo or drawing) of the Park Road façade but, although I have seen lots of photographs of other parts of Park Road (including Jefferson’s grocers shop, on the corner with Wharf Lane, and the Railway Tavern, on the corner with Norton Street), I have not seen any of the stretch that includes No 274 or the adjacent, but very much older, cottages.
Can anyone help with photos or drawings (plans or maps) of any age or detail – I intend to use my very limited artist ability to produce paintings of the exterior and interior of the “shop” and anything to help my failing memory would be appreciated.

Even the Archives in Central Library cant help - they have an index record of drawings for "a shop and 8 Houses" dated 1867 but the drawings could not be found - it looks like the area was cleared without any record photos.
I will keep trying but thanks anyway

Last edited by a moderator:
hi glassman..just been flicking though a book and ive found another pic of park road taken in 1953 but i dont think its any good to you...its show jeffersons and wharf lane...i take it you are looking for pics of the other side of the road....

lyn

Attachments

• Park%20Road%20-%20Wharf%20Lane%20Hockley%20-%209-12-1954.jpg
    Park%20Road%20-%20Wharf%20Lane%20Hockley%20-%209-12-1954.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 38
Lyn
No - the shop at No 274 was on the same side of the road as Jeffersons but mid-way between Wharf Lane & Wharf Street. It was very distinctive as it was built onto a block of 6No much older and very small "white" cottages. These were lower than the road level and went up to the "Manions" shop on the corner with Wharf Street. I have seen several photographs of the Jeffersons and Wilkes shops looking towards "No 274" but none has sufficient detail, even with computer enhancement, for it to be for it to be made out with any clarity.

Thanks for trying.

David

Hi David.

I remember the white cottages you refer to, and yes they were set lower than the road. I remember there was a small wall were the kerb should be and on top there were railings which we used to climb all over.
You mention that you "have seen several photographs of the Jeffersons and Wilkes shops looking towards No 274", have you got any that you could attach to this thread. I would be very interested to see them.
My Grandfather lived at 298 Park Road, the other side of Norton Street, virtually next door to the Railway Tavern, my local.

Cheers
Phil

Hi Lyn

This does not show what want but its an interesting photo anyway -- probably late 1940's judging by Mr Jefferesons car (a Lanchester I think with its roof rack for carrying boxes of vegetables from the market). Also the "Red" telephone box is missing from outside Wilkes Newsagent.
Thanks anyway

David

Park Rd 1954 03.jpg Fantastic photo Lyn.

It's similar to the others posted but this new photo shows a couple of vehicles.

The car parked outside Jeff's, the grocery shop, was actually owned by Bill Jefferson.
With my Dad, we all use to go with Bill, in his car to his privately owned fishing pool and spent many an hour dangling our rods.
Those were the days.

Phil

Last edited:
Although I have had several replies to my post - thanks to all - I have not been able to locate a photo of the particular property - a shop at No 274 Park Road.
So I have put together an interactive computer 3D model of the Park Road/Wharf St/Wharf Lane triangle, from some old plan information (1890), 1950's photo's of nearby properties and my memory (1943- 1967). Attached is a view, taken from the incomplete model showing No 274 Park Road, which was a pawn brokers premises 1913 - 1940, looking towards The Railway Tavern (modelled as it is today) and the Power Petrol building (demolished in the 1960').
I hope this is of some interest

Attachments

• Front 2 (2).pdf
    79.9 KB · Views: 62
Hi David,

Great image! That's exactly how I remember the cottages.
We roller skated along the pavement and dipped down when we reached the declining ramp.
The Railway Tavern later became my local. We left the area when I was about 17.
By the way what software did you use to create the image? Asssuming of course it was computer generated.
Nice one.
Phil

Phil
Glad you liked the "picture".
Yes , the image is computer generated using the FREE version of Google "Sketch Up". I have treated the "Park Road" project as an exercise for using this package - it needs a different approach to the other 2D drawing and 3D analysis software I have used. The computer model is now quite large but very incomplete and, having introduce the model into Google Earth (puts model over satellite image), I know that I have scaled the Park Road, Wharf Street, Wharf Lane triangle approx 20% too small - so model ok for isolated details but not for overall area.
Do you remember the Power Petrol building opposite the Railway Tavern (if I ever get time I will change the pub to how it looked in 1950) - is the attached anything like it ? I only have vauge memories of an "Art Deco" type facade with an aerial structure on its roof - radio contact with other depots or even their road tankers !!!

Do you remember the Power Petrol building opposite the Railway Tavern (if I ever get time I will change the pub to how it looked in 1950) - is the attached anything like it ? I only have vauge memories of an "Art Deco" type facade with an aerial structure on its roof - radio contact with other depots or even their road tankers !!!

Hi David,

I remember the "Power Petrol" building it self, however, I don't recall it's use or what it was called ie "Power Petrol".
The Railway Tavern, as you have drawn it is very much how I remember it. It is of course still there and apart from a paint job I don't think it's changed much, see attached present day pic.

Phil

No2.jpg

sorry folks i cant seperate the thumnail images as they are all on one page but if you save them you will be able to enlarge them...

No1.jpg

Maggie found a couple for you of Park Road but not sure how far you want up Park Road. I am looking for around 170 Park Road there was a little shop by there run by a Mrs Kelly if anyone has anything around that number. Thanks

204 - 210 Park Road back.jpg204 - 210 Park Road front.jpg

nice pics carolina....i think maggie should already have these which i posted 4 years back but would have got lost due to the hacking so will post them again for those who may not have seen them...

lyn

No2-1.jpg

No1-1.jpg

Lyn thanks a lot, you wouldnt have the one thats 125 Park Road on a separate photo so I could blow it up a bit. Thanks Carol

hi carolina..i also have these 4 pics..dont know if any of these shops are your mrs kellys...

ParkRoad-WhitmoreStreetHockley-5-8-1968-1.jpg

parkroadhockley-1.jpg

Back