• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Road Hockley

going back further re. park road /wharf lane.my maternal grandparents lived at 103 park road hockley in 1911 .my father was born in wharf lane in 1909at 4 mount pleasant which was at the top on the right hand side.the family lived there until the middle1940's when my aunt married the person who looked after the barge horses which belonged to the canal carrying firm of leonard leigh whose stables where at the top of wharf lane.do any of you remember this.names in wharf lane where harrison&pitt
Merry xmas to you all Stan

dear phil
i have recently joined this site and was surprise when i came across these pictures of the jefferson greengrocers ...i believe that william (bill) jefferson to be a distant cousin of mine ....as his father was my grt grt uncle i would be pleased to know any info you could share on william (bill) and i think his wife was Elsie regards bowdler

Hi Bowdler,

I'm sorry but I don't know much more about Mr & Mrs Jefferson. Yes I think his wife's name was Else and I remember Mr Jefferson to be fairly tall and thin and Mrs Jefferson to be the opposite.
Mr. jefferson was one of the few to own a car in the street. I think it was something like an Austin Cambridge or Oxford (estate type). We used to go fishing in it. Mr Jefferson was co-owner of a fishing pond near Tamworth and he used to stock it up by transferring fish, in an old tin bath, in the back of his car. That's all I can remember.
Phil

Going back over these posts again - I found the pictures of Park Road great as there is one of 414 Park Road and in 1937 my grandad lived at 416 Park Road. I wonder which side it was of the 414 number?

Going back over these posts again - I found the pictures of Park Road great as there is one of 414 Park Road and in 1937 my grandad lived at 416 Park Road. I wonder which side it was of the 414 number?

Looking at the front of 414, It would be the one on the right hand side of it.

Terry

Hi Thread, thanks for the pics of Park Rd. I grew up there during, and after the war. My gran had a Fish & Chip shop just below the Exchange Pub. They were wonderful days, fish,chips,faggots, and mushy peas! no computers then, just a bike, and a fishing rod...thats all i needed? bye. juckrala.

hi juck
yes sure was the days of happiness and contentment well it was for me any way i did not live in park rd myself but i did use the pubs around there
i was like a sailor a girl in every port
and i had quite afew girl friends around on the park rd and lodge rd i will not name on hear incase some one is relative in one way or another
my now sister inlaw lived three doors from the hydralic pub across from scribonas
as i have said i used all the pubs around there but me and our kid would come out of the exchange and straight next door into the shipy of your aunts
to round of our nights run with a girl from brookie up the rd and incidently i mustadd yes the chips and peas was cracking and my grand fathers brother ran the coffee shop on the corner and aunt maud was the care taker in lodge rd
i wonder how those girls made out now as we are all older are they married divorced and to the point hgow many kids they ended up with
i often wonder do ladies ever think back in time about when they was young and about the lads they used to go out with when they was young
thanks for the memory juck i do have one memory of a family still whom i knew for years lived across the rd from the norton pub
and thats the nottinghams family three sister maggie patty and janet all ginger hairded girls and the brother whom was my good friend calleed freddie
named after his father fred from upper sutton street and moved to park rd i still wonder where they are now they also came from aston church rd nechells
juck thanks for restoring mymemories astonion

Does anyone have any photos of 96 Park Road, this was almost opposite Abbey Street and was a small shop. Friends of mine had this shop in the 50s. Thanks

hi caroyn
just read your thread of the request of the little shop oppersite abbey street
aqnd thank you for your comments and yes i am very well indeed i am sorry i myself do not have any pics of the area on paper but pics are all in my photographic memory which is as clear as yesterday
clear as a bell i had quite afewfriends up abbey street as alo around the district
there was a family of girls i used to know very well just past the shop i think it was number 104
or 108 they was patty and janet and maggie they had red hair there father was named fred he died there ans in the first batche there was carol and her cousin jackie whom her father was a deaf and dumb gut she went out with andrea from the coffee shop on the flat and the groomebridges on the fruit and veg shop on the flat was also good friends of mine
may be maggie may have one thats her pitch wait and see thats our brookie girl when she sees your
request if she as one she will let you know
take care carol i do not surpose you would remember a girl of carol fisher on the park rd
best wishes astonian

Hi Astonia, I am sorry I dont remember a Carol Fisher. (The only Fisher I recall was Miss Fisher at Hockley Pentecostal Church on The flat) It seemed that Carol was a very popular name at the time. I remember Carol Gregory and Carol Jones. The people who owned the shop were called Munro. Also turning left onto Park Road from Abbey street there was another little grocers shop with an entry next to it, and then my cousin lived the other side of the entry there name was Timmins.

hi carol
strange and a very small world we live in in aint it
i remember carol gregory and i also knew your cousins the timmins very well also from abbey sytreet was the cunninghams the flynns the caldwels the coalmans
and a cross the rd was the cottrells and next to the firemans pub was the peters oh and the coles from the street
i have not seemn anmy of them in close of fort years now but i could still reconise them if we crossed pathes even today i occasionional come across people in the stret and i stop them in there steps and renew friendships and it may take one or two of them to stop and think and then i jogg there memories then we renew our contact
best wishes to you astonian astonian

Fred Timmins (my uncle) was a great piano player and played in the local pubs. They eventually moved to Stirchley.They had 3 children, Alan, Elaine and Neil.

Hi Astonian, just emailed my cousin in Canada she was born (1948) and she can only remember the Clemsons in Park Road. None of your names ring a bell.

Lyn
Picture No 3 was taken just about where I use to live, looking down Park Rd towards the flat. The laundry was on the corner of Whitmore St. I'm still trying to place the other 2 pics. just cant think at the moment. Perhaps Maggie can help.

Terry
Hi,Terry,my name is ted jones,i lived at my grans fish and chip shop in park rd, just up from whitmore st. I knew the flat very well, and worked as a kid at Burleys the butchers, did you know Bobby Moore who lived at your end of whitmore st? or Tommy Pagett, who lived halfway down whitmore. Regards Ted jones.

Hi,Terry,my name is ted jones,i lived at my grans fish and chip shop in park rd, just up from whitmore st. I knew the flat very well, and worked as a kid at Burleys the butchers, did you know Bobby Moore who lived at your end of whitmore st? or Tommy Pagett, who lived halfway down whitmore. Regards Ted jones.

Hi Ted, I left Park Rd in 1958 when I was 11, though I can remember the area, when it comes to names I'm lost. The ones I do remember of my age are the Hills and The Harpers who I used to play with. I can't even remember any names in my class at All Saints school. Sorry I cannot help you.

Terry

hi ted and terry
i remember the hils family he was a friend of stan burrows and steven leopole
and one of them was in my class at ickneild st hockley brook and my two cousins was there as well they lived in ford street around the corner and they was in mr urches class
they was bryan and barry phelps barry is the oldest and now lives in spain i have been tld by my cousin june on this foruim
the hill and steven leopole used play up in the class best wishes astonian

hi all i remember the names Hill. Burrows ,Issacs, Farmer ,Westwoods.and Goodwins but cant help Ted on the names he mentioned

Hi Astonian,
I see from your threads you knew the Fisher family. When I lived in Park Road one of my Dads friends was a George Fisher. He and his family lived in a terrace house like the ones in the attached photo (copy from one of Astoness posted photos). Would this be the same family you knew?
George Fisher and my Dad were regulars at the Handsworth Central Working Mans club just at the end of Park Road in Nineveh Road.
Phil

Ted I have just spoke to my brother and if Tommy had red hair then he lived at the top end of Ford street, just down from the outdoor. There used to be ladies dress shop just by your grans chip shop where as a teenagers bought a lot of clothes from there, I think the name was Pats.

Back