• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Road Hockley

anyone remember garretts garage in park road i worked there 1962

good morning wendy and of course lynn
thank you wendy for telling me how to get the connection, and lynn you are a naughty girl for putting those pictures in front of me .you have tramaised my mind this morning lynn because i can relate with all those pics,and a couple of old friends houses [ ladies i used to go out with ] and indeed the pubs me and my brother used to used i have not seen my brother in donkeys years we both drank in them i wish i could put the clock back i often wonder how alot of these ladies got on at the time
we were all single guys then wondering whether they got big familys of there own now are they divorced i don,t supose there ain,t any single ones left after all they was all good looking women , thanks lynn for the brilliant memorys
have a nice day best wishes astonian ;;

hi guys
getting back to park rd many years ago the 3 house where the white transit
out side was a very good old girl freind usd to live with her father and two
other sisters and a brother [ the white house ] they really did know how to
party [ maggie, janet , patty .pat went to live in baccus rd ] i beleive janet
went to live some where around the saltley gate and i do not know where
maggie went to live, after there dad died in that house but they orinated
from upper sutton street aston in the 60 ,s
thanks again lynn for those unforgettable moments astonian ;;;;;

Hi all

Brilliant pics. My dad grew up in Park Road I can't wait to show him the pics.

His name is Michael Sydenham, he lived there from when he was born in 1943 until around 1964 and lived at number 463 with his mum and dad Garnet (Gary / Gal) and his mum Rita and his sister Linda. As a child his grandparents, George and Sarah Farley lived there too until their deaths.

His dad worked at Griffiths, Gilbert Lloyd and Co shown in the pics you put up and they had a car which my dad had an accident in a had to get repaired at Garretts Garage - also shown in the pics.

His aunt and uncle lived down the road at number 449. They were Phyllis and George Brunner and 'Uncle George' was an insurance salesman.

I can remember visiting my grandparents and great aunt and uncle in Park Road as a child, before the houses were compulsury purchased and demolished.

Thanks again for these great pics, I have some I'm sure amongst the huge amount I've been given by my dad - I'll look them out and post them for you.

Sarah

Hi

I lived in Wharf Street, off Park Road circa 1954/5. Always had aggro with a transport company up there.

Also with mates I used a small pub of which my mates girlfriend lived in a back house rear of pub. Location of pub is by the corner, a barbers was just around the corner (I think)

Any photos of Wharf Street - name of pub - photo of pub -- please

Ray

Looked at part of map I have to help locate pub. Coming down from Norton St/Wharf Street then Wharf Lane then Abbey St then by next corner was the pub?

Ray

hi foreward
you are probably on about betts,s transport on the corner
old man bett,s lives out by me just down the road
is daughter used to work for us
bett,s have come along way since them days even with there lorries
very much bigger than yesterday when you knew them
best wishes astonian ;;;;;;

Carolynn,

Thanks, the name certainly rang a bell so it could well be right.

Astonian,

Now I've been thinking about Wharf Street, the name Walker Brothers came to mind with regards the transport firm, but?

Ray

hi foreward
yes walker brothers with there big brown lorries was the big company they did take the rd up
old man betts was a one band company around those days
he used to park is one or two lories behind some galvanise fencing
at the bottom of the rd and the corner of park rd facing the pub
i am just getting my memory brain into gear because i think the
exchange was further down park rd , ill think on my
brother whom lives in kings heath used to be in there every night of the week with the fishers family and cotterls i am going to brum today to kings norton estate so i will pop around to reeves rd
and asked him to verify it
but yes i had completely forgotten walker brothers they occupied the whole dammed st - didnt they just
speak to you this evening
have a nice day best wishes astonian ;;

hi carol
i think you are correct my friend micky caldwell
lived in abbey st . i think the one our friend mentioned by
walkers transport abit further up was the park tavern on
the corner across from some garages
but as i said i will speak to my younger brother roy
he was in there every night with the fishers , cotterills , and
the nottingham sisters whom lives almost oppersite
three doors from those garages
carol , i will let you know , but the more i think about it
i am saying yes .you are right .
best wishes astonian ;;

Thanks for replies, it helps rekindle some memories.

The pub looks somewhat smarter than I knew it, but age and war years no doubts took its toll. For confirmation can you folks recall if there was a Grove almost facing it?

When I first moved there Walker's drivers thought they could leave cab engines running outside our one-room abode - they thought wrong.

Ray

Hiya Forward..Yep it was Orford Rd over the road (it looked like a little grove)with a little grocery shop on the corner

Last edited:
Going off here a little, but did anyone see Big Brother last night and Lisa's message from home. Did anyone recognise Margaret and Maureen (the twins) who used to live in Whitmore Street?

ParkRd 1954b.jpg Park Rd 1954 02.jpg This thread has just caught my attention as I was born and bred in Park Road. What great pictures attached by “Astoness”.
Pict 1 actually shows the entry to the house where I lived. I lived at 2 back of 214, between Wharf Lane and Abbey Street, born 1952 and eventually left in 1969.
There are 3 shops shown in the pictures, the nearest to the viewer belonged to Mr & Mrs Jefferson, who I knew quite well. My father and I use to go fishing with Bill Jefferson. The shop was a Greengrocers and was know locally as “Jeffs”.
The next shop along, on the opposite corner was “Wilkes”, a newsagent. I bought my Beano from here every week.
The 3rd shop, a bit hard to see, was owned by Mrs Wesson and was a sweet shop. I spent a lot of time here.
When I got older the other place I spent a lot of time was the Railway Tavern Pub on the corner of Park Road and Norton Street which is still there.
See attached marked-up pics.

Last edited:
Back