• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Road Hockley

maggieuk

The Fairybrain of Brum
Hi everyone
I know this is a long shot ,but does anyone have any pics of the houses in Park Rd Hockley . i have a lovely pic Phil posted of The Exchange pub but would really love to get some pics of the houses circa 1950..Or could someone suggest a book with some in
Thanks Maggie

Maggie, I have just had a look at that photo,I used to have a hairdressers on the flat called Dubarry's and it was next to that dress shop and the betting shop on the other side. Looks like they bricked my old shop up. I had some great memories (and some bad one's) from those day's. I am still intouch with Anita who used to work for me, infact she is coming to dinner Sunday.
Just remembered I think a girl called Pat and her mom run that dress shop, I would buy something every week off them, it was the time of the mini then and I had hot pants suits for us all as uniforms, it drove the butchers opposite crazy, I think it was called Myttons.

Last edited:
Hi Patty
Thanks for your post.I do remember your shop and the clothes shop . I worked in Woolworths for a time
Maggie

HI MAGGIE
I CAN RECALL PARK RD Very Well In Fact I Spent Alot Of Time Down Park Rd ,
And I Remember The Houses And The Shops I Had Quite Afew Friends And I Went Out With One Or Two Girls Down There , From Park Rd , And On The Flat
And One FromThe Terrace On The BotomEnd Of Lodge Rd
I Was Great Friends With A Bunch Of Sisters Whom Moved To Park Rd ,From
Upper Sutton Street ,To Aston Church Rd Rd , Aston , Then To To Park Rd Hockley
My Mate Deano Used To Run The Cafe ,On The Flat And The One On The Corner Used To Be Owned By My Grand Fathers Brother , And Me And My Brother Used To Drink In The Exchange ,And The Hydrolic On The Hill And My Father Used To Work At Charles Harris He Worked There All His Life UntilHe Died In March 1958 At The Age
Of 42 It Was A Very Dirty Environment I WasTold By One Of Our Members Whom
Was The Owners Bussiness , My Dad Got The Job Because The Gather Knew My Mom Personaly As They Came From The Same Village When They Was Kids And Close FriendsTo The Jelf Family Of HoneyBourne ,EverSham , Worc,
But Getting Back To Park Rd The People Of Park Rd Was Decent People And Alot Of The Kids Went To IcKNIELD St School When I Did ,
I Can Recall The Fisher Family The Nottinghams And The Cotterills At The Moment ,
And The Family That Ran The Fruit And Veg Shop On TheFlat , And The Hills And THe Burrows Family . I Could Go On But I Better Stop There , They Was My Days
And I Have Great Memories , Of Park Rd Believe Me , ;
Have A Nice Day Mag And Enjoy Your Birth Day , ;; Best Wishes Again ,, A.;;;;;

Astonian
I was right opposite the green grocers I think it was called Griffins or Griffice, When I moved to halesowen I started work at a hairdressers in Howley Grange and opposie there was a green grocers, I went in and Harry and his daughter Eileen was running it. He has since passed and they sold it but I bump into Eileen every now and then. When I had the shop I lived in Factory rd, my inlaws had a building firm Dalton &sons, in Queens avenue. I had to walk down park rd every day to the shop

HI PATTY
iTS a Very Small World Aint It , I Remember The Hair Dressers You Was In , I,ve Done , A Fair Bit Of Snogging In Your Shop Door Way When I Was Young With A Cracking Girl Whom Name I Wil NOT reVEAL as She Lived Very Close To The Shop And Her Mother Used To Come Into Your Shop For Her Weekly DO ,And My Friend Deano Whos Parents Had The Coffee Shop Afew Doors Away Used To Go With Her Cousin Pat ,
And I Remember Harry , And They Sld The Shop To The Greenhills Whom I Also Knew , The Family As One Of There Sons Johnny Was A Boozer With My Brother And They
Drank In The Exchange Most Nights Of The Week And Every Week ends Was A Must , For Them ,I Don,t Know Whether You Have Up Dated The Flat , But By Golly They Should Knock It ALL Down Flat Its A dISGRACE And Filthy ,
Dad Worked At Charles Harriss Al His Life And My Aunt And Uncle Bill Smart Was The
Care taker At The Church Up Lodge Rd For About Forty Years
That Flat And The Whole Of Hockley Have Some Great Memories For Me
Believe Me I Wish We Could Turn Back The Clock ,Best Wishes ASTONIANB ,;;

Hi Wales
Many Thanks For Posting Your Lvely Pics I Have Good Memories Of The Rd And The Inhabitants But I Think We Would Appreciat It More If We Could Enlarge ThemTo See Excactly What You Have Put Up
Have A Nice Day Wales Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;;

hi astonian. glad you like them. i dont think i can post them any larger. the only way for you to see them bigger i think is to save them to your computer then you can zoom in. as they came to me on one sheet thumnail size. unless anyone can advise. heres a few more.

lyn

Great photo's yet again Lyn you are a treasure! Astonian click on the photo's then click on open original then click on the image and you will see them much larger. Cheers Wendy

Did anyone remember my cousin Daryle Peakes who lived in the council 2 story Flats? His mom was Italian Maria and his dad Stan drove a black old Rover in the mid to late 50's. Stan worked in the catering trade at the big horse racing events. Their flat was at the end of Park Road opposite a bib big Advertising Billboard.

Park Road  No 236 Hockley - 11-4-1957.jpg hi all...i was sent these 3 pics of park road last week..pretty sure i havnt posted them before...apologies if i have.....

astoness

Last edited:
Lyn
Picture No 3 was taken just about where I use to live, looking down Park Rd towards the flat. The laundry was on the corner of Whitmore St. I'm still trying to place the other 2 pics. just cant think at the moment. Perhaps Maggie can help.

Terry

Yes it is Terry but right from the top before you came to Goode Street as was..Goode Street would have been on your right just out of the pic
Maggie
P.s We lived right down the bottom end..
Terry was it in the paper when you got run over by Whitmore street..might be worth checking

Last edited:
Would be worth having a look in the Evening mail archives Terry cos that would have been news when it happened..
nice to see the pics though aint it

Back