• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Park Road Hockley

did your Mum live on Tyburn Road / Kingsbury road? Harry Walker's Daughter worked there as well, she drove a metropolitan car

Last edited:
I remember the Simpson family in park road I lived at 142 park road with my Family Mom &dad and give brothers Twins steven -kev
I lived at 3/150 up an entry my mom was deaf and my dad deaf and dumb. cant say that anymore. Lived next door to a lovely indian family, lovely son of theirs we called little joe or joey and a family called the Snyders at the top.
My name is Roy Simpson

Hi. I am working through a hand written diary of my mum. Sadly she died last August aged 82.
From reading her diary she was born in Park Road in 1938, but there is no house number. Her parents were Doris and Joseph Harris. Joseph was a metal spinner, before joining up and Doris was a post woman during and after the war.
Would anyone know of them, or have any information which may help me.
Kind regards.

Unfortunately electoral rolls for 1938 are not online. Search of the 1935 and 1939 rolls gave no hits for either name of your parents in those years

Unfortunately electoral rolls for 1938 are not online. Search of the 1935 and 1939 rolls gave no hits for either name of your parents in those years
Thank you for such a quick reply. Just looking there is a number of 5/150 park road, but not sure if that relates to where they lived. Mum sadly has not written it up to well, so I am having to sift through things and piece it together :)

I have just looked and it seems to be you? Just one thing is it Park Road Hockley
In my mum's diary it said Park Rd, Hockley. But they seem to have moved a lot. Just read they were in Prescott Street and Piddock Street as well as George Street.

In my mum's diary it said Park Rd, Hockley. But they seem to have moved a lot. Just read they were in Prescott Street and Piddock Street as well as George Street.
All around the Hockley area then. My aunt and uncle lived at 170 so if 150 is the address it would be somewhere between Whitmore Street and Abbey Street where there were lots of back to back houses.

All around the Hockley area then. My aunt and uncle lived at 170 so if 150 is the address it would be somewhere between Whitmore Street and Abbey Street where there were lots of back to back houses.
Carolina back to backs is mentioned, along with sharing toilets and the brew house for the washing. I also recall when visiting her mother, we would go up the back entry and the toilet was at the bottom of the yard.

Sorry fro slow reply, but the site i use was "freezing". I thought i had better check , as sometimes searches can miss out thoigs because they releyon a computer reading the page. 5 back 150 Park Road was occupied by Arthur James & Gladys Mary Preece in 1935 . and by Henry & amy Simcox in 1939

Sorry fro slow reply, but the site i use was "freezing". I thought i had better check , as sometimes searches can miss out thoigs because they releyon a computer reading the page. 5 back 150 Park Road was occupied by Arthur James & Gladys Mary Preece in 1935 . and by Henry & amy Simcox in 1939
Hi Mikejee.
Thank you for your reply. I have found a piece of paper which says Sept 1938 5/150 Park Road, Joseph Harris, but not sure what that applies to. Mum was born 1938 and It also says she moved to George Street West when she was about eight and a half and then onto Piddock Street. Her parents Joseph and Doris at the time of their marriage, Doris was living at 3 back 117, Prescott Street and Joseph 2 Devonshire Place, Alfred Street, Aston, Birmingham.

Hi. I am working through a hand written diary of my mum. Sadly she died last August aged 82.
From reading her diary she was born in Park Road in 1938, but there is no house number. Her parents were Doris and Joseph Harris. Joseph was a metal spinner, before joining up and Doris was a post woman during and after the war.
Would anyone know of them, or have any information which may help me.
Kind regards.
Hi, my name is Ted Jones,i came out of Park Rd Hockley, i had a good friend named David Harris he lived just past Goode St, on the right hand side of Park Rd going up the hill, i dont recall him having any brothers or sisters though, his dad was in the Royal Navy, it would have been 1950/52 i was about 12/13 and David would have been about the same age. Regards Ted.

Hi, my name is Ted Jones,i came out of Park Rd Hockley, i had a good friend named David Harris he lived just past Goode St, on the right hand side of Park Rd going up the hill, i dont recall him having any brothers or sisters though, his dad was in the Royal Navy, it would have been 1950/52 i was about 12/13 and David would have been about the same age. Regards Ted.
Hi Ted.

Sadly there is not a David Harris in the family, as far as I can tell. My family would have been in Park Road in around the late 1930's. From Mum's diary it said 1938 which was the year she was born. I hope you find someone who knows of your Harris family. Kind regards Jo.

Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone knows or can remember anything about a Thompson family that lived at 1 back of 342 Park Road from the mid-1940's until the early 1960's. The dad was called Leslie, the mom Margaret and the children were Roy, Keith, Michael, Carol, Margaret, Ann and Kevin.

Thomas.

Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone knows or can remember anything about a Thompson family that lived at 1 back of 342 Park Road from the mid-1940's until the early 1960's. The dad was called Leslie, the mom Margaret and the children were Roy, Keith, Michael, Carol, Margaret, Ann and Kevin.

Thomas.
Hi there,

Thomas.
Hi Thomas, We lived at 2/208, what ages were the kids, we are now 73,75,77 & 81 , did they go to All Saints do you know? Brian

Hi Thomas, We lived at 2/208, what ages were the kids, we are now 73,75,77 & 81 , did they go to All Saints do you know? Brian
Hi Brian,

Roy was born in '42, Keith in '46, Michael in '50, Carol in '51, Margaret in '53, Ann in '55 and Kevin in '63. Not sure if they went to All Saints but could be possible.

Thomas

Hi, I lived at 252 Park Rd, Hockley as a little girl, so around 1962-67. I lived next door to Tara Singh, my best friend, and have the fondest memories of her, her family and another little girl Maureen Kelly who lived further down on the other side of the road. Remember ‘Jeff’s ’ and getting our shopping there and the newsagent for sweets. Benson Road was my school, remember Gail Devonshire, Paul Betterton, Christopher Berry, Keith Patten and Rhiannon Parry - whose mum was our teacher. My Mum worked at Setton & Durwoods on nights for a while. Have loved reading some of your memories and often wonder what happened to these lovely people from my childhood.

Hi, I lived at 252 Park Rd, Hockley as a little girl, so around 1962-67. I lived next door to Tara Singh, my best friend, and have the fondest memories of her, her family and another little girl Maureen Kelly who lived further down on the other side of the road. Remember ‘Jeff’s ’ and getting our shopping there and the newsagent for sweets. Benson Road was my school, remember Gail Devonshire, Paul Betterton, Christopher Berry, Keith Patten and Rhiannon Parry - whose mum was our teacher. My Mum worked at Setton & Durwoods on nights for a while. Have loved reading some of your memories and often wonder what happened to these lovely people from my childhood.
Welcome to the Forum Alice-Ann, enjoy!

Welcome to the Forum Alice-Ann, enjoy!
I remember the first Asian family moving in to "our end" of Park Road, with young children I believe the Mother was English and really pleasant. I also had a Saturday job on Scribbans bread round ( in Goode Street) I moved from Park Road in 1961 to "Erdington" which I had never heard of but rode my bike to HNR to finish my school year and started work in Lozells

Last edited:
I am currently researching my family who used to live in Hockley. I have an address from a birth certificate of No. 4 Block 462.
From previous information I am lead to believe that these homes may have been 3 storey back to back houses. If anyone has any old photos or information I would be greateful.

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum, have you seen this thread for Park Road, Hockley?

Thank you for forwarding the thread, pictures are useful however I am trying to find something a little lder circa 1914 1920.

4/462 would have been towards the top end by Nineveh Road - there were some 3 storeys there.

Attachments

• Park Road Hockley.jpg
    Park Road Hockley.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 28
My mother lived in Albert Terrace Park Road I have purchased a map of the area based on 1908 however only shows main areas. If anyone knows where Albert Terrace was located I would be glad to hear from you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back