• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Road Hockley

Phil B

Made in Brum
Park Rd 1954 03.jpg Fantastic photo Lyn.

It's similar to the others posted but this new photo shows a couple of vehicles.

The car parked outside Jeff's, the grocery shop, was actually owned by Bill Jefferson.
With my Dad, we all use to go with Bill, in his car to his privately owned fishing pool and spent many an hour dangling our rods.
Those were the days.

Phil

Last edited:

Glassman

Gib Heath Geezer
Although I have had several replies to my post - thanks to all - I have not been able to locate a photo of the particular property - a shop at No 274 Park Road.
So I have put together an interactive computer 3D model of the Park Road/Wharf St/Wharf Lane triangle, from some old plan information (1890), 1950's photo's of nearby properties and my memory (1943- 1967). Attached is a view, taken from the incomplete model showing No 274 Park Road, which was a pawn brokers premises 1913 - 1940, looking towards The Railway Tavern (modelled as it is today) and the Power Petrol building (demolished in the 1960').
I hope this is of some interest

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil B

Made in Brum
Hi David,

Great image! That's exactly how I remember the cottages.
We roller skated along the pavement and dipped down when we reached the declining ramp.
The Railway Tavern later became my local. We left the area when I was about 17.
By the way what software did you use to create the image? Asssuming of course it was computer generated.
Nice one.
Phil

Glassman

Gib Heath Geezer
Phil
Glad you liked the "picture".
Yes , the image is computer generated using the FREE version of Google "Sketch Up". I have treated the "Park Road" project as an exercise for using this package - it needs a different approach to the other 2D drawing and 3D analysis software I have used. The computer model is now quite large but very incomplete and, having introduce the model into Google Earth (puts model over satellite image), I know that I have scaled the Park Road, Wharf Street, Wharf Lane triangle approx 20% too small - so model ok for isolated details but not for overall area.
Do you remember the Power Petrol building opposite the Railway Tavern (if I ever get time I will change the pub to how it looked in 1950) - is the attached anything like it ? I only have vauge memories of an "Art Deco" type facade with an aerial structure on its roof - radio contact with other depots or even their road tankers !!!

Phil B

Made in Brum
Do you remember the Power Petrol building opposite the Railway Tavern (if I ever get time I will change the pub to how it looked in 1950) - is the attached anything like it ? I only have vauge memories of an "Art Deco" type facade with an aerial structure on its roof - radio contact with other depots or even their road tankers !!!
Hi David,

I remember the "Power Petrol" building it self, however, I don't recall it's use or what it was called ie "Power Petrol".
The Railway Tavern, as you have drawn it is very much how I remember it. It is of course still there and apart from a paint job I don't think it's changed much, see attached present day pic.

Phil

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
sorry folks i cant seperate the thumnail images as they are all on one page but if you save them you will be able to enlarge them...

Night nurse

knowlegable brummie
Anyone remember the Mann family who lived on Abbey Street around 1950 ? Gladys and Harold Mann had 3 sons. Derek, Trevor and Graham. They went to All Saints School. Would be lovely to hear any news.

prs777

proper brummie kid
The Welcome Tavern on the corner of All Saints Road and Little Park Road
image.jpgcourtesy of Ray Green

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Yes carol it was on the corner and it was a cafe, what year do you have for that pic,as it became the jelfs cafe
Owned by one of the brothers for years whom are my family tree my mothers fathers brothers they also had one around on the flat
I should have a picture some where of it being the cafe long before the hacker got it Astonian,,,,

carolina

master brummie
A few notices for Park Road from British Archive Newspapers regarding people who were fighting on the Somme.

Somme Park Road.JPG Park Road Elwell.JPG