• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Park Road Hockley

Thank you so much, I had a feeling it was this end of Park Road. I assume that these were back to backs she was born in 1914 and started work at Lucas's at the age of 14 the day after she left school. I am now trying to find how they moved from here to Boultimore Road Perry

ok all done...thread tidied up and now back on track...thread now open again

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
My mother lived in Albert Terrace Park Road I have purchased a map of the area based on 1908 however only shows main areas. If anyone knows where Albert Terrace was located I would be glad to hear from you.
This was probably on Little Park Road which I think is now called Park Road South and backed onto Lodge Road/The Flat

We lived in a 3 storey back house, 2/208, living room, bedroom and attic with the wc across the yard and the brewhouse allocation for washing, this was midway, between Abbey Street and Wharf st

caption says park road dated 1920..cant see any clues as to the exact number to confirm it is park roadView attachment 178401.
I think this is No. 73 at the corner of Ford Street (EDITED: should have said Ford Street NOT Lodge Road), as stated above, in Kelly's 1921 it was Mrs. Mabel Hyde (second-hand furniture dealer). In Kelly's for 1955, 1964, 1966/67 list this as dining rooms but can't find a reference to Half-Way Cafe as shown in the image posted later.

Last edited:
You could eat inside the cafe so perhaps they were being posh and and saying dining rooms. I used to go most mornings to get a sausage sandwich for Peggy/Newsagents.

I think this is No. 73 at the corner of Lodge Road (as stated above), in Kelly's 1921 it was Mrs. Mabel Hyde (second-hand furniture dealer). In Kelly's for 1955, 1964, 1966/67 list this as dining rooms but can't find a reference to Half-Way Cafe as shown in the image posted later.
I wonder why it says Lodge Road though

An aerial view (1948) of the Ford Street and Park Road junction

Attachments

• park-rd-aerial-1948.jpg
    park-rd-aerial-1948.jpg
    688.4 KB · Views: 22
Born in 47 we used to play in a "bombed house" in Ford Street, down the bottom on the right towards the bus dept ???? no Elf & Safety then,

Born in 47 we used to play in a "bombed house" in Ford Street, down the bottom on the right towards the bus dept ???? no Elf & Safety then,
Yes it caught a bomb as it was close to the bus garage which was heavily bombed, I remember it used to have a great big piece of wood leaning against it propping it up. 1678272706579.png

Would it have been Nos. 32 & 33 ? unfortunately just off the limit of the aerial view.

Attachments

• ford-st-nos-32&33-map-1950s.jpg
    ford-st-nos-32&33-map-1950s.jpg
    475.2 KB · Views: 13
Yes it caught a bomb as it was close to the bus garage which was heavily bombed, I remember it used to have a great big piece of wood leaning against it propping it up. View attachment 178435
Yes it caught a bomb as it was close to the bus garage which was heavily bombed, I remember it used to have a great big piece of wood leaning against it propping it up. View attachment 178435
My Dad always told me my Grandad helped drive the buses out when it was bombed. I can’t wait to show him these pics.

Someone may remember this. Source: British Newspaper Archive

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240104_164541_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240104_164541_Chrome.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 14
Looked at part of map I have to help locate pub. Coming down from Norton St/Wharf Street then Wharf Lane then Abbey St then by next corner was the pub?

Ray
I think, only think, it's The Railway, sadly, for me, up for sale (2023/24) £10k.

Back