• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Park Lane...Aston

Can anybody throw any light on this, I have 2 pictures of these houses Nos.114-120A Park Lane.

The picture dated 27/10/65 shows No. 114 with only the door remaining.
The picture dated September 1969 shows No. 114 which has apparently been rebuilt (the houses adjacent are boarded up ready for demolition).

I can't believe that they would rebuild this house after 1965 knowing that it was due for demolition.

I am wondering if the date of 27/10/65 is incorrect, can anybody date the Ansells wagon or sports car?
Were Nos. 110,112 and 114 bomb damaged?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• pl271065.jpg
    pl271065.jpg
    815.9 KB · Views: 56
  • plsept1969.jpg
    plsept1969.jpg
    831.5 KB · Views: 55
Brummy -Lad, The photo dated 27/10/65 is incorrect, the two house were bombed during WW2, I am not to sure about the date but I would say 1945-1955, I cannot ever recall seeing the bomb peck without the advertisement boarding, and I am going back to the late 50's early 60's when a few of my school mates lived in that block of houses...and along the lane ...

Brummy -Lad, The photo dated 27/10/65 is incorrect, the two house were bombed during WW2, I am not to sure about the date but I would say 1945-1955, I cannot ever recall seeing the bomb peck without the advertisement boarding, and I am going back to the late 50's early 60's when a few of my school mates lived in that block of houses...and along the lane ...
Thank you so much, I was just about to post these maps showing that court 26 was there up until 1937 but not showing on the 1950 map and I was going to ask if anybody knew if there had been bomb damage. I've spent a long time trying to verify the image, I can carry on with other things now.

Attachments

• Court26-comp.jpg
    Court26-comp.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
After delving into this a bit further and using the attached image, it can be seen that Nos. 110, 112 and 114 still existed in 1952. I think perhaps Nos. 134 to 130 (where the billboards are) were lost due to air-raid in WW2.
There was a fire at No. 112 in 1948 perhaps 112 and 110 had to be demolished a few years later as a result of deterioration, in which case the year of 1965 in post #242 could be correct. Hopefully someone on the forum will have a definitive answer to this.

Attachments

• parklane15a.jpg
    parklane15a.jpg
    945.1 KB · Views: 20
I am doing some map images for Park Lane but have discovered quite a conundrum, on the 1911 census they refer to (old) and (new), by the time the map was printed c1950 they were using 'A'.
Must have been a nightmare for the postman. Interesting trying to fathom it out though.

No. 111 Rhodes family
No. 113 White family
No. 115 Hicken family
No. 117 Hudson family (I assume this is 117A on the map)
No. 117 (old) Hope family
No. 119 Greenwood family (I assume this is 119A on the map)
No. 119 (old) Sloane family
No. 121 Broad family (Court 13 behind)

Fairly straightforward up to this point but then:

No. 121 Laburnam Cottage, Tallis family (probably 121A on the map)
???? Ash Tree House, Lane family
No. 123 Hathaway family
No. 123A
No. 125 (old) Goodman family
Then Barton Street
No. 125 (new) Jones family
No. 127 Langley family
My wife nee Wendy plater, was brought up by her grandparents. They lived in park lane. His name was Alf Lloyd. He ran a garage and next door was their ladies hairdressers. Alfs good friend was mr Iomey, Tony’s dad. Tony and Ozzy osbourn got together and ran a very old van to take their gear around. Alf thought they were a nice group of lads, he used to maintain their van free of charge.I do have a photo of the garage, I will try to send it.

My wife nee Wendy plater, was brought up by her grandparents. They lived in park lane. His name was Alf Lloyd. He ran a garage and next door was their ladies hairdressers. Alfs good friend was mr Iomey, Tony’s dad. Tony and Ozzy osbourn got together and ran a very old van to take their gear around. Alf thought they were a nice group of lads, he used to maintain their van free of charge.I do have a photo of the garage, I will try to send it.
Thanks for sharing your story, I guess this is the shop and garage then. If you have a different photo I would be pleased to see it.

Attachments

• parklane11.jpg
    parklane11.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 35
  • parklane9.jpg
    parklane9.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 34
Yes Brummell lad, that is the photo I have. Do the houses further down the street look empty? My wife as a child had her bedroom left hand window above hairdressers.
Yes, I think these pics were probably late 60s just before demolition, I lived just down the road in Parliament Street.

Have you seen this website? I created this a couple of years ago but it was pretty poor programming, I'm just trying to upgrade it at the moment.

www.leroux.co.uk/parklane/

NOTE: TEMPORARILY DISABLED A NEW VERSION IS BEING CREATED

Last edited:
I have only just picked up this thread. My great grandfather Charles Ford lived at No 27 Park Street. I believe he lived there until the mid-50's when he went to live with his daughter in Alum Rock. He was a gun barrel filer and worked for Webley & Scott.

I have only just picked up this thread. My great grandfather Charles Ford lived at No 27 Park Street. I believe he lived there until the mid-50's when he went to live with his daughter in Alum Rock. He was a gun barrel filer and worked for Webley & Scott.
I wonder if you know which way the houses were numbered and if any of the photos people have posted are of the end where No 27 was. I think it may have been the Barton Arms end but I'm really not sure.

I wonder if you know which way the houses were numbered and if any of the photos people have posted are of the end where No 27 was. I think it may have been the Barton Arms end but I'm really not sure.
Hi Malcolm,
This is a map showing 27 Park Lane, and a picture showing No.27 next to the Shareholders' Arms

Attachments

• 27parklane.jpg
    27parklane.jpg
    665.3 KB · Views: 32
  • parklane6.jpg
    parklane6.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 35
Hi Malcolm,
This is a map showing 27 Park Lane, and a picture showing No.27 next to the Shareholders' Arms
I really can't thank you enough for the map and especially the photo. To actually see the front door he walked through is brilliant. I just about remember my great grandfather Charles Ford. He was born in 1878 and fought in the Boer War and WW1, serving with the Coldstream Guards. When he was old he came to stay with my grandparents in about 1955 and I remember him playing cards with my grandfather Tom Ford. So to see this photo of his home is really great. Thank you so much for your time and kindness. Malcolm

I really can't thank you enough for the map and especially the photo. To actually see the front door he walked through is brilliant. I just about remember my great grandfather Charles Ford. He was born in 1878 and fought in the Boer War and WW1, serving with the Coldstream Guards. When he was old he came to stay with my grandparents in about 1955 and I remember him playing cards with my grandfather Tom Ford. So to see this photo of his home is really great. Thank you so much for your time and kindness. Malcolm
Glad I can help Malcolm, I'm still living in hope that one day I will get a picture of 143 Park Lane (where my uncle lived) and 7 Parliament Street (around the corner) where I was born. Amazingly I realise there is an even better picture of No. 27, I have also attached a couple of documents which you may already have I think the 1881 census at house 1, court 17, is Charles Ford, his dad is shown as a gun barrel filer.

Attachments

• parklane4a.jpg
    parklane4a.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 25
  • CharlesFord1881census.jpg
    CharlesFord1881census.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 23
  • CharlesFord-1939register.jpg
    CharlesFord-1939register.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
Glad I can help Malcolm, I'm still living in hope that one day I will get a picture of 143 Park Lane (where my uncle lived) and 7 Parliament Street (around the corner) where I was born. Amazingly I realise there is an even better picture of No. 27, I have also attached a couple of documents which you may already have I think the 1881 census at house 1, court 17, is Charles Ford, his dad is shown as a gun barrel filer.

Again thank you, it's another great photo thank you. I have been hunting down the Fords for a long time. My great, great, great grandfather, also Charles Ford was a gun barrel manufacturer at 8 Bath Street and in 1899 his business was bought out by Webley & Scott, for £12,250 which is the equivalent today of about £150,000. His sons worked for Webley & Scott as did my great grandfather Charles. He left a few thousand when he died in 1955. So to have a photo to go with the history is great. I hope you find your photo now, it only seems fair!! I am looking at the Robinsons too at the moment but they were in Cregoe Street (No 77), so I will have a look to see what's on here about Cregoe Street too. Many many thanks Malcolm

Again thank you, it's another great photo thank you. I have been hunting down the Fords for a long time. My great, great, great grandfather, also Charles Ford was a gun barrel manufacturer at 8 Bath Street and in 1899 his business was bought out by Webley & Scott, for £12,250 which is the equivalent today of about £150,000. His sons worked for Webley & Scott as did my great grandfather Charles. He left a few thousand when he died in 1955. So to have a photo to go with the history is great. I hope you find your photo now, it only seems fair!! I am looking at the Robinsons too at the moment but they were in Cregoe Street (No 77), so I will have a look to see what's on here about Cregoe Street too. Many many thanks Malcolm
Feel free to ask members for 'look-ups, if you have middle names (or initials) for your relatives it makes it a lot easier, a lot of members have access to Ancestry, Kelly's Directories and maps and are quite happy to help.

Feel free to ask members for 'look-ups, if you have middle names (or initials) for your relatives it makes it a lot easier, a lot of members have access to Ancestry, Kelly's Directories and maps and are quite happy to help.
Thank you. I know a fair bit about them, I have managed to get birth certificates & wedding certificates and census and electoral roll stuff etc. But it bits of gold like the photos you sent me of Park Lane and memories of people who lived in the area and may even have known them which you can't get from genealogy websites. Malcolm

Thank you. I know a fair bit about them, I have managed to get birth certificates & wedding certificates and census and electoral roll stuff etc. But it bits of gold like the photos you sent me of Park Lane and memories of people who lived in the area and may even have known them which you can't get from genealogy websites. Malcolm
I was just having a quick look around to see if I could find anything on Parliament Street to pay you back for the help you have given me. I found a great article on a Preserving Aston site. It was by a chap called Leroux, who from the article I realise you must know very intimately. So I gave up.........nothing there you don't know!!

I was just having a quick look around to see if I could find anything on Parliament Street to pay you back for the help you have given me. I found a great article on a Preserving Aston site. It was by a chap called Leroux, who from the article I realise you must know very intimately. So I gave up.........nothing there you don't know!!
Yes I wrote that probably 10 years ago, the problem is that as you delve more deeply into the family history you get bogged down by other facts you come across and get diverted down a different route. I bet you would love to know if Charles used the Shareholders' Arms or the Bartons Arms? I'm sure he probably used both and you can still walk in his footsteps by visiting the Bartons Arms.

Very acceptable , you've made a superb job of that, couldn't have been easy, thanks.
I used to live in Potters Lane when I was little. My old house was where the woman & child are, right where the gritting bin is. It was next door to the chippy.
When I arrived at the new house across the road from here in 1976 all these houses were demolished the only remaining part was the outside toilet area for the good old Barton Arms , which you can see the clock tower at the extreme left of the picture

Hello Brummie-Lad. From what I remember, those toilets smelt really bad. It was late 1060's when we left Potters Lane to move to Bracebridge Street, which was due to the houses being demolished. I loved this house, though my parents were not too keen.

Can anybody throw any light on this, I have 2 pictures of these houses Nos.114-120A Park Lane.

The picture dated 27/10/65 shows No. 114 with only the door remaining.
The picture dated September 1969 shows No. 114 which has apparently been rebuilt (the houses adjacent are boarded up ready for demolition).

I can't believe that they would rebuild this house after 1965 knowing that it was due for demolition.

I am wondering if the date of 27/10/65 is incorrect, can anybody date the Ansells wagon or sports car?
Were Nos. 110,112 and 114 bomb damaged?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Brummy-lad:
Referring to your post 242, I spent quite a while studying your photographs as I am researching the Inner Circle bus route at the. moment.
In your 1969 photograph the house nearest the camera is 112 Park Lane. The next block of four (116, 118, 120 & 120A) are the front houses of court 28. These have probably been condemned as part of the "clearances", hence some are boarded up. Next to the left is 114, which does not seem to have a back house. Next is block of two (110 & 112) with their respective back houses - these had been demolished, hence the boarding up.
Now looking at the 1965 photograph. This is when court 26 (110 & 112) had just been demolished. Because they stood forward to the fronts of 114-120A you get the impression that just the front door of 114 is standing in fact the house is complete. To the left is 108 which is still standing.
I got this from the 1950/51 map (attached) which thankfully shows that all the houses are standing & are numbered.
I hope that this helps. Keep up the good work!

Park Lane (104-122) - Aston - map1950.jpg

Brummy-lad:
Referring to your post 242, I spent quite a while studying your photographs as I am researching the Inner Circle bus route at the. moment.
In your 1969 photograph the house nearest the camera is 112 Park Lane. The next block of four (116, 118, 120 & 120A) are the front houses of court 28. These have probably been condemned as part of the "clearances", hence some are boarded up. Next to the left is 114, which does not seem to have a back house. Next is block of two (110 & 112) with their respective back houses - these had been demolished, hence the boarding up.
Now looking at the 1965 photograph. This is when court 26 (110 & 112) had just been demolished. Because they stood forward to the fronts of 114-120A you get the impression that just the front door of 114 is standing in fact the house is complete. To the left is 108 which is still standing.
I got this from the 1950/51 map (attached) which thankfully shows that all the houses are standing & are numbered.
I hope that this helps. Keep up the good work!

View attachment 154814
Thank-you for your reply, it was all very confusing at the time but later I came across another image of those houses which helped to clarify things.
I was compiling the Park Lane images for a map of Aston which may be of help in your project if you have not already seen it.
www.leroux.co.uk/aston
Thanks again, John

Thank-you for your reply, it was all very confusing at the time but later I came across another image of those houses which helped to clarify things.
I was compiling the Park Lane images for a map of Aston which may be of help in your project if you have not already seen it.
www.leroux.co.uk/aston
Thanks again, John
I have been trying to do some research on old houses in park lane. My grandparents used to live in one of the houses across the road from the shareholders, but have come to a complete stop. It appears that maps on line are not available for pre 1960. It would have been so nice to actually have a door number for their old home. :(

I have been trying to do some research on old houses in park lane. My grandparents used to live in one of the houses across the road from the shareholders, but have come to a complete stop. It appears that maps on line are not available for pre 1960. It would have been so nice to actually have a door number for their old home. :(
Michael have you tried this. There is a 1950 map on there.
I would have liked to use the map with the house numbers for the Interactive Map of Aston but wasn't sure of the copyright aspect.

Last edited:
Back