• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Lane...Aston

76 Park Lane would have been very close to the Black Horse public house.....I don't think I have ever seen a photo of that side of the lane, seen a few taken of the other side from around that spot....

I got a bit confused and had done a map of 76 Park Road, though wondered why on this thread. Anyway, 76 Park Lane later (around WW!), was demolished, with no 78, to build Black Horse pub, It is marked in red on map below c 1903.

map c 1904 showing 76 Park lane aston.jpg

Thanks John and Mike, sorry about the confusion. There's a picture of the Black Horse on the forum somewhere so I'll look for it. Thanks again.

Thanks Lyn, the one I'm thinking of is on Coronation Day - would that be on the pubs thread? I thought I'd save it but can't find it. I'll have a look.

yes pen thats the one i am trying to find and i think it could have been me who posted it:D

will do another search for it

Thanks Aston Lad, this photo has always been a puzzle as the third lady from the left looks just like Parker's mom but they were at a party at the bakery in Upper Sutton Street on the day. Too late to ask now!

Looking through an e-book version of "In and around Aston through time" I came across a curious name I do not recall seeing mentioned here before and that is Pig Sty Alley which was in this vicinity. Is this the alley in question? It could be as the pub Black Horse was mentioned in the report I read.
Below is an extract from this Forum by Carl Webster on October 10th, 2013 in the Park Lane thread.

Re: Park Lane, Aston

Here is another one! This picture taken September 1969 this is the
same view as previous – just slightly further up. Dad’s alley is just visible on
the far right of the picture. The whole road had only months left before it was
bull dozed to the ground…I wonder who the boy is on the left of the picture?

The previous picture was taken on a Monday if the date is correct, so presumably dad was at school! It’s hard to imagine the picture was taken when dad was 1

https://www.buckfast.org.uk/

I've gone into hundreds of fortune-teller's parlors, and have been told thousands of things, but nobody ever told me I was a policewoman getting ready to arrest her.
New York City detective

Pretty sure that Z cars Taxis were located opposite the house with the advertising board, would have been in the sixties,

I believe that the 3 story building with the entry in the middle, is where my best friends grandparents, the Goodchilds, lived. They lived at the back house up the entry and behind them was a steep hill of gardens and allotments...this is what I recall as a nipper.
Dave A

The gathering outside the Black Horse Pub, for the 1953 Coronation. The lady in the coat on left wearing gloves, is my Aunty Clara, Clara Herbert, she was married to Uncle Bill, who's mother owned the corner shop on Whitehead Street/Alma Street. Aunty Clara was also the Usherette at the Orient and Gaumont Picture House.
If you went to the Saturday clue, at the Orient in the 60s you knew her

The gathering outside the Black Horse Pub, for the 1953 Coronation. The lady in the coat on left wearing gloves, is my Aunty Clara, Clara Herbert, she was married to Uncle Bill, who's mother owned the corner shop on Whitehead Street/Alma Street. Aunty Clara was also the Usherette at the Orient and Gaumont Picture House.
If you went to the Saturday clue, at the Orient in the 60s you knew her

I lived across the Road from the Black Horse pub and I am on the Coronation Day photograph along with several play mates and our immediate neighbours. Wendy, the granddaughter of the Lloyds was my best friend and she lived with them in the house adjoined to their garage. It was a very grand house compared to the houses that surrounded them.

Last edited:
here is a close up shot of the original shareholders pub corner of park lane and potters lane which was completely demolished and another one built ...if you go to post 79 pic 1 you can see the pub in the distance on the left hand corner
lyn

View attachment 116257
Hi, been a few years since this post! I have to say the Shareholders was NOT demolished at all. We were living there when dad, Arthur Taylor, was the manager and the brewery, Ansells, had the 'skin' of the new pub built around the old one! We had months of muck and dust to contend with and when they wanted to complete the interior they moved us on to The Stork Inn, High St. So the Shares is still in the same spot it was always in but they actually moved the line of Park Lane to the other side of the pub and left it stranded in a little triangle of land with Potters Lane on one side and Old Park Close on the other.

hi empty sorry i am a bit confused by your post...if the original shareholders was not demolished where is it or are you just saying it was demolished but within the building of the new one...

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lynn and emptyness sorry i have to diagree with you emptyness lynn is correct many years ago when that shareholder was orinigal built they demoed a couple of houses to build the orinigal one way back in time and it was more or less a one room situated we are going back to about the 1956 period and because of its populative i can distively recall the originale pub it had a little bar more or less next to it and around that time thy did a friday and saturday night perforfers the main highlight was the sword swollower and his accomplce after quite afew years later owing to the redelements intendeded they planned in advnce the brewer and they closed that down and built a small shareholder pub across the road right next to some houses it was there for about 12 months across the road from it the demo started and alterations they started to buld those houseof new small houses they cleared the old houses away built a good batch of them then they started to come back acrosss the road and built the larger pub this time with an out door ajoining it and a larger bar around on the corner and may i say myself and my brother in law and a few guys from catherine street used to play cards for money in that back barr we was all milkmen for midland counties dairys when we came down one day heading for the second share holder we noticed they brought it back to its original place as to where it is Lynn SAID CHCK AN OLD PHOTO WE ALL SEEN THIS AND WE DICUSSED WAY BACK THEN 13 YEARS AGO THEY DEFINATELY KNOCKED IT DOWN PUT UP ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD AND REBUILT FROM SCRTCH BACK WHERE THEY STARTED FROM BEST WISHES Astonian Alan PS, I Lived on lichfield rd down by the aston cross andmy grand parents had the coffee house on the cross

Moira Taylor who lived in the Shareholders posted this photograph of her and her parents cira 1962, on the astonbrook group we have on facebook.......
quote "Here's Mum and me with a pal of Dad's at the same point before the pub makeover. You can see the line of the same terraced houses on the left.. Must be 1961 as we moved in 62."

42229935_1976536115726025_1926793994809901056_o.jpg

thanks for that loveley photo john its a nice addition to this thread but i am going to have to press the question...if as empty says(post 156) the original shareholders was not demolished where is it?

if the replacement shareholders was built around the old one still in situ surely the old one was still demolished in some way..must say i have never heard of this happening..most unusual and i just cant get my head around how it was done or in fact why:eek: below st view of replacement and photo of of original pub

shareholders original pub.jpeg

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4...4!1sO3WetTC0MYOxr9Hx7SdCSQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Back