• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Park Lane...Aston

Hi Lynn
Many thanks for the picture of park lane and the Aston cross the actual picture you have put up
You can see is the three property's that my grand parents owned with some one loading or unloading a van outside
The property and also of Latham's deco shop
Which was owned also by my grand parents family and my grand father himself
As he was the last member of his brothers to owned that particular shop and sold it to Latham's
Where the van is is three shops the very first one at the cross was a chemist ,
But looking down on your right hand side of the picture you see the shops
The first being a coffee shop then there was two gates where there was there ware housing for provisions
For all there chain of coffee shops around birmingham and that one of Latham's was there coffee shop
Until he sold it to Latham's it was passed through all the jelfs family one bye one
It was George senior then arther , then William Georges son, but could not handle it
From the business angle so he sold it to Ernest held whom also ran the crockery hire
As well the other shop next to the coffee shop was a fish and chip shop you can see
Where people would sit in and have there meal he sold that along with the other coffee shop
And they used to have the one across the road facing there shops which was another chippie shop
But they sold it to a little chap called Cyril they used to wave to each other most days of the week
When open they was also on Aston road north around the corner and down Lichfield road
139 Lichfield road where we all celebrated the coronation with the neibours of Cromwell square
Inside that large shop for partying they supplied the tables and chairs for all adults and the children of Cromwell square on the street at the bottom of the terrace after that little party everybody moved down and into the coffee shop it had a two tear flooring capacity the second level contained two large full sized billiard table
And living apartment up another er flight of stairs whilst ivy held remained on Tyburn road
Ernest my grand father gave ivy that coffee shop only to find out that she sold it to the flower girl
Parents whom was a member of this forum or she may still may be as I have not heard no/more on here from her
I had to smile about a passage of statement when she said about Charles held and being silly
In fact it was him whom built the jelfs empire from his father whom had a large house around down
The corner of sandy lane with lodgers plus is own booking shops and a coffee shop on Alma street and of
On at the rear of Ivy's cafe at the ajoining side or rear of the coffee where I can imagine
Where he made a lot of money from gambling people of the fort Dunlop factory
He and his father made from it ivy died in 1984 Ernest died in 1969
Behind those shop was a very large yard with a two story ware house an one bed dwelling
And a huge work shop for there vehicles they had to supply all the provisions around Birmingham
Before the war years and during the war years and right after
Best wishes Alan,,,,,,,,,,Astonian,,,

Thanks Frothy, sure shows I'm not much into that scene. Had heard of ELO and of course the Wobbles but that's about all. Oh Dear.
Cheers Tim

View attachment 89331The caption I obtained with this image says that the arrow is pointing at number 38 Park Lane but I' not sure about this. Does anyone know the road further down on the left in the picture?
View attachment 89332A really old one this - this shows the old turnpike at Aston Cross looking up Park Hall Lane later to be called Park Lane. The photo shows the gate across Park Lane at the time when the walls surrounding the grounds of Aston Hall adjoined Park Lane. The gates were removed about 1862 when the name Aston Cross was generally adopted.
View attachment 893331902 - although not Park Lane I love this picture. It shows High Street to the left and Potters Lane to the right - which of course leads to Park Lane itself.
View attachment 89334This is Potters Lane looking down towards the back of the Barton's Arms (3-10-1969)
View attachment 89335The Black Horse Pub - Park Lane
i lived at number 41 park lane ,the road further down on the left was potters lane,i too knew steve pinkerton and johnny lewiss.these photo,s bring back great memories,
amin sabin

View attachment 89331The caption I obtained with this image says that the arrow is pointing at number 38 Park Lane but I' not sure about this. Does anyone know the road further down on the left in the picture?

Hi I lived at The Shareholders, a few doors along to the right of this pic and we were number 25 Park lane if thats any help?

.....You are correct, number 38 would have been on the other side of the road, the road you are asking about would be Potters Lane, the Shareholders is on the corner, this was taken in the 30's or 40's before it was modernised either in the late 1950's or early 1960's.....

.....You are correct, number 38 would have been on the other side of the road, the road you are asking about would be Potters Lane, the Shareholders is on the corner, this was taken in the 30's or 40's before it was modernised either in the late 1950's or early 1960's.....

Aston Lad,

Is there meant to be an earlier image of the Shareholders Arms here? If you haven't got one I can post one for you.

Phil.....Please post the photo, I have most photo's from my area of Aston,which Park Lane was, and I am always happy to view new ones, ta in advance

The Shareholders Arms at the junction of Potters Lane & Park Road.

Attachments

• Aston Shareholders Arms Park Lane - Potters Lane.jpg
    Aston Shareholders Arms Park Lane - Potters Lane.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 60
i lived at number 41 park lane ,the road further down on the left was potters lane,i too knew steve pinkerton and johnny lewiss.these photo,s bring back great memories,
amin sa
Hi ray
Yes indeed,my old man was head barman and releife manger for the Dodds family licencee Holders
Along with the other pubs surrounding the aston cross area and he also ran the Billiard hall reliefe
As well just like to mention that the picture of park lane facing and showing the cross
And where the van is being loaded you see the batch of shops
That was number 235 /237 and in between those two shops directley at the van being loaded
Was a set of double gates which was a long far back yard weith a dwelling house
A little one up and one down house where i beleive at one time during the forty /fifty
A mr and mrs Mac retented that house from my grand parents whom
At one time owned the property i think it was my great grand father originialy
And through to the fiftys when my own grand father sold it and it was rented to some one elsebut up that yard was a two storey building a ware house full of all there valued silver and cut glass was kept
Also there food provisiond for sll there thirty three outlets
Also they had there own huge garage for there motor repairsbut 235 was the chippie and the second one 237
Was there lodging for transport drivers coffee shop which had loads of bedrooms in it
Grand father sold it to an asdian family whom when taken over it they painted purple
And the new share holder was chsnged in the early 60s
I used to go in there with my late brother inlaw he was a milkman
For midlsnds counties dairies with afew guys from cathetine street aston
One family i recall there was three bothers ginger haired lads and a couple more one was called peter
And we used to used the side bar in potters hill and play Dominos for money
There was a big school of us in those days
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,

There are some really good photos on this smashing thread so thank you to everyone for posting them. I've only just become interested in Park Lane as we have discovered that Parker's Gr Gr Grandfather was a 'milk seller' living at 76 Park Road, Aston Park. Has anyone any idea whereabouts it was please?

Sorry Lyn, I've got my wrong head on again today, I meant 76 Park Lane - why on earth I put Park Road I have no idea. Thanks anyway.
I've checked with the directory again to make sure and it's definitely Park Lane, Aston Park. There's lots of good pictures on this thread but I don't know which end 76 would have been - any ideas?

hi pen no worries..if mike sees your post he maybe able to put up a map highlighting no 76 park lane for you

76 Park Lane would have been very close to the Black Horse public house.....I don't think I have ever seen a photo of that side of the lane, seen a few taken of the other side from around that spot....

I got a bit confused and had done a map of 76 Park Road, though wondered why on this thread. Anyway, 76 Park Lane later (around WW!), was demolished, with no 78, to build Black Horse pub, It is marked in red on map below c 1903.

map c 1904 showing 76 Park lane aston.jpg

Thanks John and Mike, sorry about the confusion. There's a picture of the Black Horse on the forum somewhere so I'll look for it. Thanks again.

Thanks Lyn, the one I'm thinking of is on Coronation Day - would that be on the pubs thread? I thought I'd save it but can't find it. I'll have a look.

yes pen thats the one i am trying to find and i think it could have been me who posted it:D

will do another search for it

Thanks Aston Lad, this photo has always been a puzzle as the third lady from the left looks just like Parker's mom but they were at a party at the bakery in Upper Sutton Street on the day. Too late to ask now!

Back