• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Park Lane...Aston

I have been trying to do some research on old houses in park lane. My grandparents used to live in one of the houses across the road from the shareholders, but have come to a complete stop. It appears that maps on line are not available for pre 1960. It would have been so nice to actually have a door number for their old home. :(
Is this any help?

Attachments

• pl-topend.jpg
    pl-topend.jpg
    795.9 KB · Views: 22
Michael have you tried this. There is a 1950 map on there.
I would have liked to use the map with the house numbers for the Interactive Map of Aston but wasn't sure of the copyright aspect.
Thank you Brummy-lad. Have tried using that before, but kept getting an error message. Will just have to wait until I can visit the Library in Birmingham & hope that I can find what I need. Thank you for the info though.

Michael, if you want to give me your grandparents names I can try and pinpoint the house for you.
Thank you Brummy-lad. Their names was Arthur & Ada Wicks. They both passed away in 1962. Only went to their house a couple of times. I can remember going up a long path to their front door.

here is the 1939 eve of war register michael for arthur and ada wicks..looks like arthur contructed contrete air raid shelters..1 other person was living there add was 4/40 park lane so it was a back to back house...hasten to add this was in 1939 will need to check the electoral rolls for later years just in case they moved to another house in park lane...edit yes they are still at 4/40 in 1955

lyn

tna_r39_5507_5507g_002.jpg

Last edited:
here is the 1939 eve of war register michael for arthur and ada wicks..looks like arthur contructed contrete air raid shelters..1 other person was living there add was 4/40 park lane so it was a back to back house...hasten to add this was in 1939 will need to check the electoral rolls for later years just in case they moved to another house in park lane...edit yes they are still at 4/40 in 1955

lyn

View attachment 154821
Thank you so much Brummy-lad. This has been a great help I used to live around the corner from them in Potters lane before they passed away. A massive thank you for finding this for me.

Thank you Brummy-lad. Their names was Arthur & Ada Wicks. They both passed away in 1962. Only went to their house a couple of times. I can remember going up a long path to their front door.
This is the map showing No. 4 back of 40, with the shareholders' Arms on the corner as you said, I will see how close I can get with a photo, probably have one of No. 40.

Attachments

• 4bk40parklane.jpg
    4bk40parklane.jpg
    872 KB · Views: 6
This is the map showing No. 4 back of 40, with the shareholders' Arms on the corner as you said, I will see how close I can get with a photo, probably have one of No. 40.
A massive thank you Brummy-lad for the map. My house in Potters lane is also visible. (number 20).

No problem whatsoever Michael I enjoy doing this sort of thing. This is as close as I can get at the moment.
Again, A massive thank you Brummy-lad. This is how I remember it, though there were houses where the Ford Popular is when I lived there. We moved to Bracebridge Street not long after my grandparents passed away, then to Waterworks Street. How aston has changed over the years, (sadly, for the worst). I really miss those lovely houses & the people who lived in them too.

I am fairly certain that the area where the car is parked was a result of an air-aid, the houses are still there on a 1937 map. I agree about the changes in Aston, I had so many 'aunties' and 'uncles' when I lived in Parliament Street and the furthest away that any of the family lived was my grandparents in Nechells. This photo is from the other direction, I think the shop on the right is No. 46 (you probably bought sweets from there), the entry would be between that shop and the one with the sun-blind.

Attachments

• park-lane-shopat#46.jpg
    park-lane-shopat#46.jpg
    747.4 KB · Views: 35
I am fairly certain that the area where the car is parked was a result of an air-aid, the houses are still there on a 1937 map. I agree about the changes in Aston, I had so many 'aunties' and 'uncles' when I lived in Parliament Street and the furthest away that any of the family lived was my grandparents in Nechells. This photo is from the other direction, I think the shop on the right is No. 46 (you probably bought sweets from there), the entry would be between that shop and the one with the sun-blind.
I think you are correct about those houses missing due an air-raid. It has been many years since I was last there & was only 8 years old when my grandparents passed away. I do remember going into that shop for sweets, though we had another just own the road from our house in Potters lane. My grandparents on my mums side of the family lived in Nechells too. I know someone on here was searching for photo's of houses in St Clements road, but sadly, I was not able to find any, though I did find a photo of St Clements road taken from Nechells Park road. I tried to find some from around the corner, but not successful.

Michael, I have found 1 more but I think that is it. The entry is just right of the bus stop. I actually think that your grandparents house is just visible on post 279 (between the 2 trees) but could do with a higher resolution image to be sure.

Attachments

• park-lane-38&40.jpg
    park-lane-38&40.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 24
Michael, I have found 1 more but I think that is it. The entry is just right of the bus stop. I actually think that your grandparents house is just visible on post 279 (between the 2 trees) but could do with a higher resolution image to be sure.
Wow. What a brilliant discovery Brummy-lad. I think you are right about my grandparents house. I was thinking the same. Seeing photographs like these certainly take me back to my childhood.

lyn

View attachment 154821

Lyn, I'm sure this question would have been asked before but why are some names blacked out? Is it to do with the fact that they may still be alive today? It's always puzzled me! Thanks. Px

Lyn, I'm sure this question would have been asked before but why are some names blacked out? Is it to do with the fact that they may still be alive today? It's always puzzled me! Thanks. Px
yes pen or of school age at the time the register was taken...i believe that if you can prove someone had died you can apply to have their names unblocked..having said that all deceased names are very slowly being unblocked but it does seem to be a very slow process..think i have got that right but if not im sure someone will correct me

lyn

I am puzzled by this too Lady Penelope. 4 records officially closed is a strange one. Maybe someone can throw some light on why this is.

yes pen or of school age at the time the register was taken...i believe that if you can prove someone had died you can apply to have their names unblocked..having said that all deceased names are very slowly being unblocked but it does seem to be a very slow process..think i have got that right but if not im sure someone will correct me

lyn
Hello Lynn. I know my uncle Harold left home around 1959ish to get married. They moved to another part of Aston, which was not too far away from us. His house was near Aston railway station.

I am puzzled by this too Lady Penelope. 4 records officially closed is a strange one. Maybe someone can throw some light on why this is.

Apart from the odd mistake everyone blacked out should be someone who might still be alive (b1920 and after). Obviously from other records you can surmise who they are (children of householders usually) but you do come across ones you can't account for - 4 blanks but only 3 known children for example. These could be other relatives, grandchildren, nephews, nieces etc, or children they're looking after. Also I think it's been mentioned that the evacuation of children had already begun.

I think to have someone un-blacked out you have to supply a death certificate but they also have to be at the address you think. If they're not there I don't think they'll look for them.

I found a relative - a young woman, aged 20 - living in London with another young woman. Also there is a blacked out record and it made me wonder if she had a child but it could also be another young woman who is a little younger.

Apart from the odd mistake everyone blacked out should be someone who might still be alive (b1920 and after). Obviously from other records you can surmise who they are (children of householders usually) but you do come across ones you can't account for - 4 blanks but only 3 known children for example. These could be other relatives, grandchildren, nephews, nieces etc, or children they're looking after. Also I think it's been mentioned that the evacuation of children had already begun.

I think to have someone un-blacked out you have to supply a death certificate but they also have to be at the address you think. If they're not there I don't think they'll look for them.

I found a relative - a young woman, aged 20 - living in London with another young woman. Also there is a blacked out record and it made me wonder if she had a child but it could also be another young woman who is a little younger.
Thank you MWS for helping clear this up. I now understand it. I am new to this research, & find some of it quite puzzling.

The 1939 register is updated every now and then but I don't know how often it is, Ancestry updated theirs a few weeks ago, Findmypast I think is a better site to search the 1939 register, I have found people on theirs which are blanked out or just missing on Ancestry ...

how unusual...now i wonder what all that was about
Apparently, all the houses for the working class were very poor quality & a bill was passed around 1875 that these type of house should not be built, & better quality home should. Apparently, some had bathrooms, which is probably where the name gold mines came from.

Back