• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Park Lane...Aston

Has this picture been shown previously? It's taken at the corner of Upper Thomas St & Park Lane. It looks like they been tearing up the roads...
Dave AView attachment 180686
thats a great photo dave and after reading brasscasters newspaper report i just find it so sad that mr and ingram were having such a hard time of it especially having spent their lives serving what was once a thriving community...by the early 70s demolision was in full flow and the powers that be stopped at nothing to try and erase our memories..i am happy to say for most of us on this forum it did not work as they cant take our memories away from us...and of course we do have some wonderful photographs

lyn

lyn

Has this picture been shown previously? It's taken at the corner of Upper Thomas St & Park Lane. It looks like they been tearing up the roads...
Dave AView attachment 180686
This is the photo taken after the roadworks, traffic from Park Lane had to give way to Thomas Street. I suspect Albert Ingram is standing in the doorway but difficult to be sure. You can see the devastation that the poor couple had to endure.

Attachments

• park-lane-thomas-st.jpg
    park-lane-thomas-st.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 44
looks like albert john...again hands in pockets i think as with the first photo...when you think of all those lovely shops along aston cross and the high st aston and newtown row makes me weep...sorry to go on about this but once again just like today the powers that be never gave a jot to the disruption and loss of businesses that folk had to endure..and just how many of them could find another shop to open up so that could earn a living...on thursday i am hoping to go on another of my old end trips...i shall go down aston cross and newtown row but i know it will just be the same as when i went last time..souless..lifeless..no shops or pubs...no people shopping or walking to work or nipping into one of the many pubs..basically its just a ghost town around there save for the good old bartons arms pub which still stands defiant in its quest to remind us of the past

lyn

Last edited:
Yes Lyn, I know exactly how you feel. I often think of my uncle's bicycle shop on Park Lane, I would have a 'mooch' about in the cellar amongst all the bicycle frames and parts he had down there, they were all left in the cellar when he had to move out. I wonder if an archeological dig in the future will unearth all of this treasure.

Hello to all you old Park Laners and their off spring. So happy to see your photos. I lived a 100 in 1960's that was right opposite LLoyds Garage. As a kid, I remember Mr Lloyd as a kind gentleman. (Not that we had a car). We had homemade 'mokes' and skate boards and flew down the entry's into Park Lane making a sharp turn as you immerged into the daylight of the street. October mornings when the air is misty always reminds me of walking to school ( St Chads Catholic School in Newtown and City centre.). Your old photos capture the atmosphere to a 'T'. thanks again x
one of my friends was Wendy Lloyd who lived with her grandparents Mr & Mrs Lloyd. I loved their house, it was very large and had a breakfast room!. I lived just a bit further up the road, just across the road from the Black Horse.

My wife nee Wendy plater, was brought up by her grandparents. They lived in park lane. His name was Alf Lloyd. He ran a garage and next door was their ladies hairdressers. Alfs good friend was mr Iomey, Tony’s dad. Tony and Ozzy osbourn got together and ran a very old van to take their gear around. Alf thought they were a nice group of lads, he used to maintain their van free of charge.I do have a photo of the garage, I will try to send it.
I was a friend of Wendy. The hairdresser used the front room of the Lloyds house. We used to travel by train in the school holidays to visit Wendy’s mum who lived in Lichfield where her parents ran a garage. when I married in 1966 I moved to Lichfield to live. I often think of Wendy as the garage is still there though been developed into a car retailer garage.

one of my friends was Wendy Lloyd who lived with her grandparents Mr & Mrs Lloyd. I loved their house, it was very large and had a breakfast room!. I lived just a bit further up the road, just across the road from the Black Horse.
Dear Alf Lloyd, when I was a kid, he always reminded me of John Wayne, he was that big...as a child anyway, that is how I remember him. Dad having his car serviced, and the pit he had dug in the garage at the far end of the alley. Loved Uncle Alf to bits.

Michael, I have found 1 more but I think that is it. The entry is just right of the bus stop. I actually think that your grandparents house is just visible on post 279 (between the 2 trees) but could do with a higher resolution image to be sure.
Hi, this is my photo, of me with my late mum Irene and a customer. We are standing outside the side of The Shareholders Arms at 25 Park Lane ( we are on Potter's Lane here). My mum and dad Arthur were licensees of The Shares then.

Hi, this is my photo, of me with my late mum Irene and a customer. We are standing outside the side of The Shareholders Arms at 25 Park Lane ( we are on Potter's Lane here). My mum and dad Arthur were licensees of The Shares then.
Hi Empty, that's a great photo, do you have any others of the area?

I think this is the chippy on Park Lane was next door to the billiard rooms on Aston Cross. There is a similar, if not the same, picture on the website below.
Come to think of it, Alf's wife had a Hairdressers on one side of the alley he had his garage in. Thanks. Must have been further up Park Lane..

Back