• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Parents of our parents.

my dogs name was punch.

Fred

A bit short on time these days but I have been looking through all your wonderful photos.

Fred we had some great times with your dog 'Punch' he really loved the both of us, thanks for posting.

Most have my old photos gone 'missing' during to my move to Belgium in he 60's but I do have a lot of my Flemish wife's family. Here is her mum and dad, Marie Maes & Benoit Verspecht taken around 1930.

Sorry forgot to put who everyone was. Top left my grandparents Tom and Beatrice Pugh then to their right Gt grandad Pugh, below left grandads mom and to the right grandad as a little boy

Denise that must be your nan and grandad top left?. Lovely photo's. You will find some kind person making them look like new soon. Jean.

And theres more: top left nan (on right) with friend Rose Leason in Blackpool, on left gt grandma Mills (nans mom) then below right my mom and finally grandad (on the left of the photo) what a dappa

A photo of my mum's parents at a wedding in the early 30's. My dad is just behind them. The 2nd photo is in their back garden at Broomhill Rd Perry Common, and shows the bride & groom with bridesmaids, my mum is on the right. Hasting's Rd school is behind the garden, and possibly Dovedale Rd in the distance. Slightly off topic, but a bit of history, see the poles at the ends of most gardens, and wires from them just about visible. They were used to feed the signals to the 'wirelesses' which the parents of our parents listened to in those days.

Attachments

• 2_OldPH056.jpg
    2_OldPH056.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 4_OldPH058.jpg
    4_OldPH058.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 112
Thanks for sharing those lovely photo's Oldmohawk. I know the roads you mention quite well. When I was young my parents took me to Dovedale road to visit Mr and Mrs Turner their friends. They lived in an upstairs masonette. Like what you said about the posts being used as kind of aerials. Bye. Jean.

I have posted this somewhere else, my Dad's Parents on the left in first row. I'm in the photo and someone must have smartened me up !Funny thing is, my parents are not in the photo ! It's my Uncle Bill and Aunty Freda's wedding in 1945 at Erdington Parish Church. He was a paratrooper, and they met in the Army.
1_BillandFredas_Wedding.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Oldmowhawk I have not seen it before. I love these old wedding photo's. Maybe we should start a thread Weddings of a by gone era. Jean.

Wendy, This was too nice a picture not to have a go at restoring!
Hope you don't mind.

John, I am thrilled with the improvement to the treasured photo of my grandmother. It will be sent round the family as I am sure they will be as thrilled as me. Thank you very much,:).

Wow Phill your male menbers on that wed; photo are so alike you can see were you are comming from.GREAT PIC.

Hi, Keith,
I went shopping all day one Sat with the bride (from London) and bridesmaid for the wedding dress, and can remember THAT, but not the actual wedding. In the evening we all went to a cinema at the corner of Gravelly Lane and Chester Rd, and Pathe News showed the dropping of the 1st atom bomb. So the wedding date was just as WW2 was ending. For some reason the wedding didn't seem to be entirely welcomed by my grandparents, but it turned out to be a long happy marriage.
Phil

Phill the guy standing behind you what relation? he looks a lot like your side of the family from what I see from the face?

He is my Uncle Ronnie. The wedded couple are my Uncle Bill & Aunt Freda. My grandparents came from Shrewsbury.

Jean - This is a GREAT thread....I think I've seen almost every photo - because they are so interesting and in the hopes of recognizing someone I can put a name to. You never know! Looks like it will go on for ever.

All the best....Florence :)

this is Lavinian Franklin nee Houghton born 1903 daughter of Nan Houghton nee Pool ex Burlinton street school pupil went to live Australia

Thanks for sharing those wonderful photo's John. Took a look at your dad with the cap. Did you restore them or were they in that excellent condition?. Jean.

to lloyd i see you are reparing old photo`s is there any chance i could have the name of the program you are using as i myself am interested ion doing it (not on site incidently) thanks , colin

I use Microsoft Photo Editor and Coral Photo House. Juggle back and forth between them trying to get the effect I want.

hi shera thanks for e-mail but i think you have me mixed up with someone else, i have no wikkes in me tree sorry nice to hear from you all thae same colin

Back