• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Parents of our parents.

I haven't got a photo of my paternal grandfather, as he died in the 20's, and any photos taken before that were destroyed, when nan's house was bombed. So I was very pleased to hear from a descendant of my grandfather's brother, Thomas Bradley, through Genes Reunited. He sent me this photograph of Thomas. It may be the closest I get to imagining how my grandfather may have looked. I was thrilled to receive it anyway.

Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
What fantastic pictures. I really enjoyed looking at them ...though i admit to being a tiny bit jealous that i haven't got anything like that:)

Kaz

Ann - that is a lovely photo. I can just imagine how thrilled you were to get it and to get some idea of what your grandfather looked like. I have no photo of my grandfather on my mother's side and no idea what he looked like.

Judy

Thank you Judy. Of my grandparents, I only have photographs of my paternal grandmother. My mom's mother died from flu, during the great 1918/19 flu epedemic and before mom was two. A lady contacted me on Ancestry, and her great grandfather was the brother of mom's grandmother, and she has sent me photographs of him. I had a curiosity, like you, with your maternal grandfather, to have some idea of how they may have looked. And am really chuffed to have received photos from these two people.

Ann

Hi Anne

The oldest photos that I have are ones that have been sent to me from the US. Ancestors that emigrated tended to take photos with them of their loved ones I think. From a cousin in Ohio that I found via Ancestry, I have a photo of my gt.grandfather's brother. It is a small one, but I like to think that there must be a family likeness and that is how gt.granddad would have looked.

Judy

Judy,

I think this is one of the unexpected and best bits about being on Ancestry and Genes Reunited. The first photo the lady off Ancestry sent me, of my great grandmother's brother, was also just a small one, but I was still so excited. I bet, like me, you looked at it for ages, trying to see some resemblance. I've convinced myself that he looks like my brother, and he probably doesn't!
You never know, there may be more photos to come.

All the best Ann

I have come across this rather lovely photograph of a man whom I believe to be my great grandfather George Heath. Don't you just love his curls! If I am correct that it is George Heath he was born in 1864 and in 1871 was living back 100 - Hampton Street, Birmingham.

View attachment 25738

Lovely photo Jules my sister in law's family name is Heath they lived in Small Heath.:)

Fantistic photo was it taken in france?
Hope you do not mind i have given it a clean

Hi, I don't know where this picture was taken - sorry. I was thinking it may have been a wedding photo as he is wearing a button hole - or was that just the fashion back then! He was 27 years old when he married but I cannot begin to guess his age from this photo.

Thank you for giving it a clean.

wendy hope you do not mind me cleaning up that photo of your grandmother.

Thats brilliant thanks Baron.......I fear the original may be lost as sadly my cousin who let me copy it has passed away. I have downloaded it.

My Grandparents on both sides.

1) George and Gertrude Clegg (nee Smith) taken about 1949:

2) James Henry Bott & second wife Ada Florence Bott formely Harvey nee Cresswell

First picture is my Great Grandmother Alice Marks (nee Payne) marked on the back as 1917
next is my Grandmother Bertha Viola Thatcher (nee Marks)
and lastly my Great Grandfather Thomas Marks in the garden at Hambrook, Bristol.

What a fascinating thread!

John.

What really lovely photos John. Beautiful!
Yes, I love this thread too.

Ann

John truly lovely photo's and I bet your glad lyour parents kept them safe for their children and grandchildren?. Jean.

John truly lovely photo's and I bet your glad lyour parents kept them safe for their children and grandchildren?. Jean.

Yes Jean, most of the pictures I have were in 2 biscuit tins from my dad's house when he died in 2001... luckily lots of the photos had names written on the the back.

John, I wish my ancestors had put names on the back. Mind you I need talk!

Ann

Oops.. attached this time

These are my Grandparents on my Fathers side. GM 4th from left - rear row, Aunt, then GF. Picture from the early 20's

Printmeister and Mike quite a few of mine have faded writing on the back but some have nothing and I would have loved to know who they were. Bye. Jean.

Smashing photos Mike and Printmeister - I do love this thread. I wish I had a photo of all the family like yours Mike. My family never went in for photos much and I only have one or two, but no groups like this lovely one of yours.

I might have seen your granddad and his horse Printmeister as I always went to the Handsworth Shows.

Judy

Printmeister notice your grandad won a rosette on that occasion do you know which one. Bet you don't know the horses name though?. Jean.

Back