• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pardoe Family - Ward End Birmingham

Hi Andrew
i can recal most of your family ,especialy hay mills and of course the other side from Aston
yes they liked a scape now and then probaly more often than then
i was born and brought up in aston and my lot knocked around the Aston pubs
the old man ran the golden cross andi have ran quite afew myself around brum and up country
i know your roofers, as i lived on coventry road oppersite now Asda but before then the old car factory
was there, plus i knew them from the monica pub and of course from the old Haymills
we drank together and my mrs used to work there behind the bar her name is Teresa ,mention her name to the gang
they will know whom we are and at the monica pub as well and seamus the gaffer you must know him and his mrs Ann
whom was the manager but i will not say any more on them two as you would have known about the carrying on
but i will not say no more on that either , I beleive old sqisser as long gone and burried and the club as changed hands and name
i came down that way some weks back sad to see how its all gone the area i mean
even deakins road where the lads used to live
well andrew got to shoot of now nice to hear the pardoes are still going strong and are around today
best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,,,
I used to know a Teresa who worked at the Monica

Just reading the Adderley Street Bus Storage Yard thread. My Great Grandfather Herbert Pardoe bought a job lot of Birmingham Council single decker busses and had them delivered to Pardoe’s yard in Ward End.

He removed the engines and seating and sold them on. He then set about converting the bus bodies to holiday homes. I would love to know where these old busses ended up

Just reading the Adderley Street Bus Storage Yard thread. My Great Grandfather Herbert Pardoe bought a job lot of Birmingham Council single decker busses and had them delivered to Pardoe’s yard in Ward End.

He removed the engines and seating and sold them on. He then set about converting the bus bodies to holiday homes. I would love to know where these old busses ended up
Hi, I've not been on here for a while. If you recall, we are related as my grandfather was one of the 15 children.

It's interesting what you say about the buses. My Dad, remembers all of the family going on holiday in buses and also train carriages that Herbert had converted, possibly a joint venture with George Pardoe (his brother).

Hi, I've not been on here for a while. If you recall, we are related as my grandfather was one of the 15 children.

It's interesting what you say about the buses. My Dad, remembers all of the family going on holiday in buses and also train carriages that Herbert had converted, possibly a joint venture with George Pardoe (his brother).
You may be sport on, I do know that Herbert did keep strong family ties. His brother John Pardoe lived next door to his Church Walk house in Ward End

Thank you very much, have ordered a copy…cannot wait, I still have Martha’s (Tommy’s mothers) wedding ring.

This is Martha with the goose, my mother in the foreground. The two children on the right are gipsy’s who live in caravans on ‘Pardoe’s’ yard; you can see the roofs of the caravans in the background.

View attachment 70745
Hi the little gypsy boy is my moms brother dolphy smith my moms family stayed in the yard

Hi the little gypsy boy is my moms brother dolphy smith my moms family stayed in the yard
Hi Polly1967. Thank you for your post and welcome to Birmingham History Forum. Please feel free to download a copy of the photo for your own use. Its nice to see an ancestor.

Are you able to say how you knew this was your mons brother and do you have any other memories or information you can share?

Did the boy grow up and have a good life and do you know anything about the little girl?

I do understand that some Pardoe children marries some of the people staying at the site.

Hi Polly1967. Thank you for your post and welcome to Birmingham History Forum. Please feel free to download a copy of the photo for your own use. Its nice to see an ancestor.

Are you able to say how you knew this was your mons brother and do you have any other memories or information you can share?

Did the boy grow up and have a good life and do you know anything about the little girl?

I do understand that some Pardoe children marries some of the people staying at the site.
Yes my uncle is still fit and healthy I showed him the photo on Friday and straight away he said it’s me the wasn’t a lot of children on the site he said my moms family & siblings stayed quite a wile and yes one of her daughters married one of my moms relatives

Yes my uncle is still fit and healthy I showed him the photo on Friday and straight away he said it’s me the wasn’t a lot of children on the site he said my moms family & siblings stayed quite a wile and yes one of her daughters married one of my moms relatives

Thanks for getting back to me. There is also a suggestion that the Pardoe’s and Herbert Pardoe’s wife, Mathur (in the photo with the goose) were themselves gypsies do you or your uncle know anything about this?

Thanks for getting back to me. There is also a suggestion that the Pardoe’s and Herbert Pardoe’s wife, Mathur (in the photo with the goose) were themselves gypsies do you or your uncle know anything about this?
I can ask mom but mom always remember mr Pardo had a stuffed monkey / Ape in his house can’t imagine where they had it from

I can ask mom but mom always remember mr Pardo had a stuffed monkey / Ape in his house can’t imagine where they had it from
Please do if you can. My mom told me that the house was full of stuffed animals too.

I think Herbert Pardoe was a bit of an entrepreneur who dealt with all sorts of things. He once bought half a dozen single decker buses and converted them to caravans to be sent to the seaside.

You mom or uncle may also remember Joe Dainty, the chap who lived at the yard too.

I’ve got a pencil drawing done by Johnny Pardoe, I remember him vaguely as a friend of my Mom’s… she was Isabelle Tomlinson.

I’m just wondering if any of the family would like it?

I’ve tried to upload a photo but it’s saying the image is too large…

It’s a drawing of ‘The White Lion’ pub… sign J Pardoe, probably early 1970’s…

I’ve got a pencil drawing done by Johnny Pardoe, I remember him vaguely as a friend of my Mom’s… she was Isabelle Tomlinson.

Welcome to Birmingham History Forum.

I would certainly like to see it being a descendant of the Pardoe family. you can either resize it and save it under a new name with window photo or send me a private message via the start conversation icon at the top right and I can give you some guidance on how to send it

Hello .ive just joined the forum .my Uncle was called John Pardoe who did pencil drawings .His Grandmother was Martha Pardoe

Back