• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution
Status
Not open for further replies.
totally agree with you alan...i know that covid may not have helped much recently but i have been saying for the past 3 or 4 years that the city centre is becoming more and more a ghost town...if it is still the same in a year or two i fear for it

lyn

Like you Radiorails, I do wonder about the future of the Paradise site.

When first announced it was due to be EIGHT office blocks (of various sizes) and ONE hotel.

They have already announced that one of the office blocks will be replaced by an apartment buildings (The Octagon) so now only SEVEN office blocks.

Two buildings have been finished, one totally taken over by PWC, but the other has, I believe, only had two floors let.

A third building is just being started and will be finished in 2022.

However I cant see them being in a rush to start any more office buildings with the danger there will be nobody to occupy them.

So sadly we may finish up with a "half finished" plot for many years like we did with the Madin complex that was on the same site that never got finished off properly.

Anyone remember the temporary stairs that were there for many years that came out the "back" of Paradise Place that led towards the Jewelery Quarter?

Here is the long term plan for the Paradise site if anyone wants to see it (scroll down to the Masterplan).

Last edited:
One Centenary Way has started and due to be completed by 2022.

There is also the restaurant spaces. Dishroom opened recently at One Chamberlain Square.

i agree with your comments guilbert...do we really need so many new office blocks?? will they ever be fully occupied??have the planners really thought this out long term?? can they guarantee that the spaces will be filled? or will they lay half empty losing money just like the blocks still are that was built 40 years ago....i think the city is now chasing rainbows to try and make up for the mistakes made years ago but again only time will tell...

lyn

Last edited:
The PWC building was on the BBC news a couple of days ago, full of emptiness. The spokesman claimed they had ful confidence that it would all be used. Accountancy seems to be one of the businesses continually expanding (with , at the same time, large firms continually being reported for not doing their duties satisfactorily). I would think that more people working at home (as is predicted) might make it more difficult to police the actions of these firms (though I would prefer to use the word "cowboys")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back