• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

ellbrown

ell brown on Flickr
Happy New Year 2020.

Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery was closed on New Year's Day 2020 as I tried to take a view of Chamberlain Square, still hidden behind the fences.

The public realm on Centenary Way towards Centenary Square is now open. Is some new trees on the new flower beds. Towards Centenary Square.

View towards Chamberlain Square and BM & AG.

There is a ground breaking machine on the One Centenary Way site which should start during 2020.

Happy New Year to you too Ell.

Reader please note there are a number of threads about the Paradise development. These are the links

Paradise pre development 2014 - 2016

Paradise Circus

Paradise development 2017

Paradise development 2018

Paradise development 2019

Last edited:
Thanks Ell.

Yes I explained in this thread https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/advice-general-discussion-threads.51067/

about the plan to lock threads and start up new 2020 ones if needed. It’s all part of keeping the General Discussion threads under control and useful to others. It also means we can capture any historical content. Earlier threads are being moved to appropriate history sections (if it’s deemed they are now history or contain history elements). The recording of major developments across the City will doubtless be of interest to future readers, so these are being moved out of the GD section. In general terms they’ll be over 2 years old, but if a 2020 thread is started I shall move the 2019 thread into the appropriate history section.

Thank you for your considerable photographic contribution to these threads. It means we have a useful, detailed record of these major changes over the last decade. Viv.

No problem. I'm waiting for them to remove the fences in Chamberlain Square, is a bit hard to see anything behind them.

It's changed so much since all the old concrete buildings were demolished.

Might be best to wait a few months with One Centenary Way, as it hasn't started rising yet.

View of Paradise Birmingham from the Discovery Terrace at the Library of Birmingham (yesterday afternoon).

One Chamberlain Square complete and open (PWC have moved in). Two Chamberlain Square also looks finished.

Hi Ell. With reference to the above post, is that the Copthorne Hotel with the red-framed rectangular windows? I think that the owners have talked about a rebuild or refurbishment for quite some time now. Dave

Yes the old Copthorne Hotel will eventually be demolished and a new one built. There is another building further to the left of here that will need demolishing in the next few years.

Chamberlain Square seen from Victoria Square as they relay the steps around the square. Still hard to see what's going on behind the fences when you walk past along Centenary Way.

Attempted to get new photos of Chamberlain Square through the fence.

First view came out blurry, tried to fix it (fence in the way).

Gap in the fence just before Centenary Way.

Found a new view from Paradise Circus Queensway (before Great Charles Street Queensway).

Looking down what was Congreve Passage (Congreve Street again?) towards Victoria Square House.

The gate has changed as they will be opening a car park there soon.

Down to Victoria Square House past the Town Hall.

Never seen the view of it from here before.

Town Hall

[

Statue of Queen Victoria.

Sign about the new car park.

Interesting Ell. Your first photo would have been, in the past, Edmund Street. Is the second photo where the 1960s Library stood ? Viv.

A couple of after dark shots of Paradise Birmingham. After 7pm.

Centenary Way.

Chamberlain Square from the BM & AG steps.

Some views from Paradise Circus.

Dishroom at One Chamberlain Square - umbrellas / parasols.

Congreve Street 2020. Seen behind a gate. Has not yet reopened. Might be a new car park opening near here soon.

But signs for the Clean Air Zone have gone up on the outskirts of the City Centre (near the Middleways). Although wont come into force until at least Summer 2020.

One more view from today. Paradise Birmingham near One Chamberlain Square towards Arena Central - Dandara and the Alpha Tower. You can also see the Centenary Way footbridge to Centenary Square from here.

One more view from today. Paradise Birmingham near One Chamberlain Square towards Arena Central - Dandara and the Alpha Tower. You can also see the Centenary Way footbridge to Centenary Square from here.

Ell is Dandara and theAlpha Tower a musical? But for those of us who are only envious of the fact that that every day you visit Paradise, could you identify which is which please? Once again thanks for your superb pictures. I can see the forum in fifty years time when the Ellbrown pictures rank in status with Shoothill et al.
Bob

Ell is Dandara and the Alpha Tower a musical? But for those of us who are only envious of the fact that that every day you visit Paradise, could you identify which is which please? Once again thanks for your superb pictures. I can see the forum in fifty years time when the Ellbrown pictures rank in status with Shoothill et al.
Bob

Dandara is the new residental tower block on the left, and Alpha Tower the office block on the right.

As seen in this 2018 photo of mine. They are on Suffolk Street Queensway (the Crowne Plaza hotel is behind them, it used to be a Holiday Inn a long time ago).

A third 'live' camera has been added on the paradisebirmingham website showing work on One Centenary Way.

It also looks like that work is still continuing.

I work right by these normally, but of course with the situation at the moment I'm working from home for the foreseeable future. Will be interesting to see what has changed when I go back - assuming any work will be done now.

I wont be able to get back to the city centre until lockdown ends. Only people living in the city centre would be able to get photo updates.

It's Your Build from Birmingham We Are would have updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back