• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Paradise development 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because a building is not financially viable is no reason for demolishing it
A very good reason I would say. Who would pay to keep buildings like this in mothballs? Business won't and if the council used public funds to 'embalm' buildings that are no longer fit for purpose, the contributors to media sites such as this would be 'baying' for the leader of the councils blood.

A very good reason I would say. Who would pay to keep buildings like this in mothballs? Business won't and if the council used public funds to 'embalm' buildings that are no longer fit for purpose, the contributors to media sites such as this would be 'baying' for the leader of the councils blood.
Many towns/cities in the US are realizing the value and beauty of older buildings (not nearly as old as in Brum) and are embarking on re purposing them for new use. Again not everywhere or everything. There are plenty of new buildings going up. In the town I live in they are trying to build new buildings that look like old but work like new. So there are many options for older styles...…...

I know many people who use this web site rarely go in to Birmingham city centre, and some now live away from the city or even abroad, but they like to keep up to date on what is going on in the city.

So here is an update on the "Paradise" project (so called because it runs alongside Paradise St)

This is the site of the old 1970s John Madin library that was demolished a couple of years ago (and before that the Victorian library and the Josiah Mason Technical college).

There are plans to build nine different buildings on the site, over a 10 year period.

Two buildings are currently being built (they are almost finished), with another due to start soon (though this was originally due to start earlier this year). I think the tram line development nearby has delayed the start of this building.

There are two OLD buildings on this site

The Copthorne Hotel - when the new hotel is built on the site this hotel will be demolished.
Small office building (shown in the bottom left in the first image below). This will also be demolished.

The two buildings currently being built are:

One Chamberlain Square - PWC will occupy the whole building in early 2020.
Two Chamberlain Square - Only the two top floors taken at the moment, a legal firm. They move there in 2020.

Below is a view of the site as it pretty much is at the moment.

The red border shows the extent of the site. The black lines show the site of the next 3 buildings to be built (one hotel and two office blocks).

Paradise Site.PNG

And below is the long term plan for the site. When first announced it was a 10 year project, and we have already had about 3 years.

The project is being built in 3 phases.

RED buildings - Phase 1 - both buildings nearly finished.
GREEN buildings - Phase 2 - none of these started yet. To be built over the next 3 or 4 years.
YELLOW buildings - Phase 3 - to be started when phase 2 is finished.

Paradise.PNG

I do hope this project is finished as planned. Sadly the plot as it was (Madin library, Chamberlain House etc) had a whole hotch potch of buildings in various styles.

The big problem comes if the office buildings that are planned to be built (phase 2) are NOT occupied then it is unlikely the developer will go ahead with phase 3 so that part of the site could lie vacant for years.

I know many people who use this web site rarely go in to Birmingham city centre, and some now live away from the city or even abroad, but they like to keep up to date on what is going on in the city.

So here is an update on the "Paradise" project (so called because it runs alongside Paradise St)

This is the site of the old 1970s John Madin library that was demolished a couple of years ago (and before that the Victorian library and the Josiah Mason Technical college).

There are plans to build nine different buildings on the site, over a 10 year period.

Two buildings are currently being built (they are almost finished), with another due to start soon (though this was originally due to start earlier this year). I think the tram line development nearby has delayed the start of this building.

There are two OLD buildings on this site

The Copthorne Hotel - when the new hotel is built on the site this hotel will be demolished.
Small office building (shown in the bottom left in the first image below). This will also be demolished.

The two buildings currently being built are:

One Chamberlain Square - PWC will occupy the whole building in early 2020.
Two Chamberlain Square - Only the two top floors taken at the moment, a legal firm. They move there in 2020.

Below is a view of the site as it pretty much is at the moment.

The red border shows the extent of the site. The black lines show the site of the next 3 buildings to be built (one hotel and two office blocks).

Paradise Site.PNG

And below is the long term plan for the site. When first announced it was a 10 year project, and we have already had about 3 years.

The project is being built in 3 phases.

RED buildings - Phase 1 - both buildings nearly finished.
GREEN buildings - Phase 2 - none of these started yet. To be built over the next 3 or 4 years.
YELLOW buildings - Phase 3 - to be started when phase 2 is finished.

Paradise.PNG

I do hope this project is finished as planned. Sadly the plot as it was (Madin library, Chamberlain House etc) had a whole hotch potch of buildings in various styles.

The big problem comes if the office buildings that are planned to be built (phase 2) are NOT occupied then it is unlikely the developer will go ahead with phase 3 so that part of the site could lie vacant for years.
Thank you very much for this, as someone who is away from the city now, it is nice to have it all laid out and explained.

Bob

Saw the revolving doors to One Chamberlain Square from Centenary Way earlier this evening.

The purple light was not on.

Please note.

I shall be moving the earlier posts on this thread to our history section as it gives us a valuable photographic and written record of how this area has developed in modern times. Thank you to all who have posted to build up this record.

In time the record of the most recent phase of development will be considered as history and so will also eventually be moved to a history section.

I notice (for the record) there was nothing was added between 23 August 2015 and 23 February 2017 (ie posts #93 and #94). This may be due to another (similar) thread in use. I shall check this out as part of the tidy up.

Links will be provided to posts which are moved so that the information is still easily accessible.

Viv.

Are you setting up a 2020 thread? As I think that One Centenary Way will be starting soon.

It's the site to the right of Paradise Street near Paradise Circus.

Photo taken on the 21st December 2019.

Ell. If anyone wants to set up a 2020 or other new development thread, please do so. Recording the demolition, excavation and development of areas of Birmingham will be of interest in the future. But topics about current developments must start off in the General Discussion section.

I have reorganised the Paradise Development posts into a number of historical threads which are now referenced in post #1 of each of the affected threads.

Viv.

For info the related threads are:

Paradise pre development 2014 - 2016
Paradise Circus
Paradise development 2017
Paradise development 2018
And this thread, Paradise Development 2019

Links to the different threads are included in post #1.
Viv.

Thanks Vivienne, it's a great collation of information. Congrats to everyone involved in adding to the info, I have found it very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back