• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pantomimes At The Alex

ohbodder

Brummie babby
Most years in the late 60's/early 70's we went to a panto (mostly at the Alex) but I can't remember very much about them now. The only people I can definitely remember seeing are Jack Douglas and The Grumbleweeds.
Does anyone have a list of stars/performers to refresh my memory.

I remember Beryl Reid, Frank Ifield and Anita Harris but I can't remember which years they were there!
rosie.

That was 1963 (according to Frank Ifield's web site). He was appearing in Mother Goose. My dad worked at the BSA and I used to go to the Christmas paries. However when I reached the age of 12 I was allowed to go to the Pantomime instead. I remember my mom took me to Armoury Road to get on the coach. I sat next to a very quiet girl, or so I thought. When we got into the theatre and Frank Ifield came on stage she spent the whole time screaming her head off at him!

Ohbodder,

There doesn't appear to be a readily available list of Alex pantomimes during the 1960s & 70s. However, of general interest to all may be the fact that The Stage from 1880 to 2000 has now been placed online in the British Library Newspaper Archives. Not free, but good value nevertheless. To those who have an FMP subscription, no need to pay as this is also included in your subscription. I hope this helps.

Maurice

Frank Ifield is a bit before my time, but Anita Harris rings a bell.

Maurice, thanks for the tip about The Stage, I look into that.

Rob

My mother used to sew sequins on actors dress as a home work job, she worked for Emile Littler and I recall one actor (never got a name) singing her praises about the quality of the work.
That would have been in the 1940s/50s

I kept a diary between 1958 and 1967 and have recorded that on the 28th December 1960, in the afternoon, I went to see the pantomime "Sinbad the Sailor" at the Alexandra Theatre. It starred Morecambe and Wise. Also starring was George Lacy (who I cannot recall). Watched "Wells Fargo" on TV in the evening. Dave

Last edited:
My wife was a dancer for three years at the Alexandra theatre, she has just been sorting through boxes of photo's from all of her career. She trained in ballet and got top grades in teaching but started off as a redcoat at Butlins hotels in Margate, then appeared in the Cathy Kirby & Billy Dainty show at Paignton. She was lead dancer in Alexandra pantomimes Cinderella, Robinson Crusoe etc and worked with such characters as Les Dawson. Ronnie Corbett, Donald Peers etc. Her maiden name was Jennifer skipper but someone else on Equity had that name so she had to choose a stage name which became Newport.

The contracts are very detailed with extra money for 'flying' and the right to refuse to do it!Scan_20210628_103505.jpg

Last edited:
My parents took me to a Pantomime at the Alex but I can't remember exactly how old I was or what show was! It would have been in the mid 50's.
I do remember I was wearing a new tartan skirt and that we sat in a box (the only time in my life!)
Apparently, the main star of the show - a comedian I think, spoke up to us from the stage.

The girls in the chorus were often requested by ATV studios as extras in Crossroads, usually in the bar scenes but sometimes just walking past the lead actors. When the pantomime season ended the girls would be out of work for a while, sometimes part time jobs at the theatre were offered such as behind the bar or dressers for the forthcoming productions. My wife even stood in for the spotlight operator who didn't turn up one night.

Back