• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

pancakes ;

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi guys ;
i have just finished my usual breakie of bacon ;and eggs and sausage ;
and i have just thinking of old traditions; and that is the old pan cake day of women ; moters making pan cakes
for there kids and husbands ; and i thought ;
i wonder how many lady members and fellowforum members did they make any pan cakes this year ;
i had my quoter for this year i love them ,i manage to down six of them
and i also noticed that the old bbc news this year never made any suggestions in there nightly and yearly
announcements of these pan cake races tht normally take place around the milads as they used to do
so is abit of ourhistory as gone ; does any body do it any more
the question ; did you have ny pan cakes or howmany did you eat if any ;
best wishes astonian;

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: pan cakes ;

We had 'Pancake...Wednesday' ah well..better late than never, but pancakes are not the same as my mother made. They are thick things with holes in one side...not the thin 'oily' ones that I knew that were flipped in the air and sometimes caught again....and Maple Syrup...not lemon juice and sugar. I'm sending mine back next year...that'll learn the kitchen staff. Hmmm...perhaps not.

Yes, we had pancakes. Thin and golden brown with lemon and sugar. Dad used to love Golden Syrup on his, (and on his Porridge!)
It reminded of when my son was small, and I taught him to toss pancakes, our dogs would line up to catch the ones we dropped!!
I remember seeing a pancake race in the Bull Ring some years ago, but even my Grandaughters didn't make any this year.
rosie.

We had two pancakes each with sugar and lemon juice................could eat them anytime and do !! Anthea.

So could I Anthea, but I have got to learn to make them with gluten free flour, wonder if they will work?

Maggs - yes they do, we experimented last year when one of Owens friends was diagnosed with coeliac disease, they are not quite the same texture and the recipe was slightly different, if you google gluten free pancake recipes, there are some great ones on the coeliac socy website :)
Sorry Ala, pinching your page, we had pancakes, made - of course - by the double team of mom and dad, they taste soooo much nicer than mine, years of experience I guess. I had traditional lemon juice and sugar, as did mom and dad, Owen loves golden syrup, but the piece de resistance last night was the chocolate flavoured pancakes - dads idea - they were yummy!! Mom and dad have been known to cook pancakes on returning from the pub with friends and adding various alcoholic beverages to them too - different lol - the Tia Maria ones were the best. As you can see, I have crazy parents, at least I can blame their age now!!!!! Owen also loves the McDonalds breakfast pancakes with syrup, he has just discovered there is going to be a McD's on his way to school and is already planning a breakfast stop
Sue
Hope you all enjoyed yur pancakes!

I made lots for all the family the grandkids love them with lemon and sugar.

We had pancakes yesterday with lemon and sugar....so bad but so nice! Mom used to put Golden syrup on them for Dad. Years ago I was showing my son how to toss them and one went too high and stuck to kitchen ceiling. The dogs sat there for ages waiting for it to fall!!
rosie.

Memories! Real pancakes as above with lemon and sugar. How I miss them. Yanks call them creapes. Flapjacks are what I have now.How about Toad in the Hole? do you still have that? John Crump OldBrit. Parker. Co USA

Hi All,

My wife came out of hospital on Monday We had completely forgotten that Tuesday was Shrove Tuesday but my wife mentioned it in the late evening. I think that it is the first Shrove Tuesay since I was born that I had not had a pancake. Surely the end is nigh.

Old Boy

I love pancakes, eat them all the year round, have to buy them ready made though, do not possess the cooking skills to make them!. Usually 'Aunt Bessies', not as good as my late Wife made but quite palatable, with sugar and lemon juice of course. Eric

My one grand daughter should be called "pancake". Whenever we ask what she would like to eat the answer is nearly always "pancakes please". Sugar and lemon, lovely.

I usually make a batch of 3. Nutella on #1, maple syrup on #2 & lemon curd on #3. Very naughty but nice now & again.

Back