• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Palmer

Sue Bolvary

Aussie daughter of Brummie parents
Hi all. Still trying to trace my mother's two sisters' families that have never been heard of since my parents came to Australia. One sister Doris May Palmer (1917-?) born in Kent we think and the other Olive Joyce Palmer (1926-?) born in Birmingham. Doris left home at an early age, never to be heard of again. Olive had two children out of wedlock, so they may have been adopted. She spent some time in a mother/baby home in Birmingham. The whole family lived in Aston. Even through Ancestry and a DNA test, so hard to find them. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I think this is still the most likely for Olive...

Purchasing the marriage certificate would confirm or otherwise, which you can do as pdf file from the GRO (cheaper than actual certificate).

For Doris with so little to go on, it may be a case of her descendants seeing your messages.

You could check marriages for Doris M Palmer from 1935ish, that's assuming she married and didn't emigrate, and assuming that she is registered as Doris M there are a lot of marriages. Her full dob may help but still really difficult.

Purchasing the marriage certificate would confirm or otherwise, which you can do as pdf file from the GRO (cheaper than actual certificate).
Last time I looked pdf files were only for birth and death certs not marriage.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Thanks, I always make that wrong assumption.

Apologies to Sue for the misinformation. Full price only then.

There are between 80 and 90 marriages registered for a Doris M Palmer in England and Wales between 1935 and 1966.

Using the 1939 register and death registrations you could probably eliminate most of them but it would be a laborious task and if she didn't marry or emigrated or changed her name then pointless.

Sorry, that's pretty pessimistic.

And with reference to your other thread, Olive's theft and arrest appears in a number of newspapers in early (2nd & 3rd) December 1955.

Yes with Doris M Palmer, we are thinking she might have been married in perhaps the early 1940s. We have found one Doris M Palmer marrying a Frank Morris in 1944. She was born in 1917 and left home when my mother (her sister) was young. My mother was born in 1932. So she might have been Doris Morris! :)I 'm thinking they may have stayed in Birmingham when married, then moved on. They seemed to have one child in 1946. Just waiting on a few more replies from people we have messaged on Ancestry.

Unfortunately, I think the Doris Palmer that marries Frank Morris is one to rule out.

She appears to be Doris Mary Palmer born 1919 Bham, the daughter of John Morris and Elsie Gilks. The 1939 register lists her maiden name (Palmer) and married name (Morris).

Unfortunately, I think the Doris Palmer that marries Frank Morris is one to rule out.

She appears to be Doris Mary Palmer born 1919 Bham, the daughter of John Morris and Elsie Gilks. The 1939 register lists her maiden name (Palmer) and married name (Morris).
Thanks for that. Yes it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. I have more and more DNA matches, so perhaps one day her family may turn up! She may have not even married and not had children. By the way do you know if there are any forums which talk about the Korean war and people from Birmingham fighting in it? Dad was in the Royal Navy and fought during the Korean War. I have heaps of pictures I would love to share of dad and his mates and the ships he was on. I have his medals and other paperwork which shows which ships he served on.

The problem with DNA is that if Doris didn't have children or if she did and none of her descendants have done a test you'll never find her.

I'm sorry I don't know about the Korean War. There appears to have been a Bham branch of the British Korean Veterans Association though. This article mentions it but it is some years ago (2013)...

We do have a section with threads for other conflicts although I couldn't see the Korean one as a title.
If it has a Birminham connection then start a new thread.

Thanks so much Janice. Yes I might do that. When dad passed away 19 years ago, we found all of his navy pictures and records. He didn't ever talk about it. I'll keep hunting for the missing Palmers and hopefully one day we may find them.

In regards to Olive's church theft, would there any way to find court/jail records, or is 65 years still too young for this kind of information to be public? It would be good to somehow find out where and who she was staying with because it is obvious Holte Rd was her last residence...not where she was staying during the thefts. I even wonder if she got caught up with a man of ill repute and perhaps just ended up being stuck up there with no money to come home again.

I can't say for sure but, other than newspaper articles as referred to in post #7, most public records have a 100 year closure.

Back