• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Palestine

J

jjw

Does anyone remember Tony Wassall, who served in Palestine 1946/48 with the 2nd Warwicks. Thank You

Hi JJW
My dad was in Palestine and remembers the 2nd Warwicks being there too.But he is to old now 85yrs to remember anyone.I have taped my dad talking about his time there a few yrs ago now.He was mentioned in Dispatches in 1949.Although he can't remember what he did to receive the honour lol.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Denny

Hi JJ
I remember the Warwicks were with us in Jerusalem,
But as for names did not know any of them personaly

Israel.

:confused2: These Photographs have Israel on the back. My Uncle Fred served there and I have card sent by him to mom with a coat of arms on the fron. Will get Pete to copy it and put it on the site. Bye for now. Jean. :confused2:

Israel.

:confused2: These Photographs have Israel on the back. My Uncle Fred served there and I have card sent by him to mom with a coat of arms on the fron. Will get Pete to copy it and put it on the site. Bye for now. Jean. :confused2:

My father was in Palestine 1946/48 not sure which regiment his name was Michael Mann.Does anyone remember him.?

Old letters.

:( Have found the card and also two beautiful letters from Israel Palestine from my uncle Arthur to my mom and dad. When I have more time one day I will copy them for the site. The address sent from was H Q company 2nd N.S.R Jerusalem Palestine. The card has the coat of arms on the front XC V11 Prince of Wales Regiment. The other letter is from Uncle Norman Taplin. Ord/Sig JX 359695 Class 206 Q.D. Division. H M.S. Royal Arthur Skegness Lincs. My uncle said he served on a mine ship. The photo's are Norman with his momPemmy and my cousin Arthur. :( TTFN. Jean.

This is a photo taken of my mates posing in front of a Jewish armoured car which came to grief after hitting a mine on the Jaffa Rd just outside Jerusalem.

I have lots of photos of my father and his pals in Palestine and Egypt between 1946 and 1947. Most have writing with info on the backs. Some are of his pal`s funeral after he was killed when his jeep was blown up. He was always sad that he could only remember his name was Steve and that his wife had only just given birth to a baby boy. If the photos would be of interest I will post some of them. I always feel that they special and need a safe home. I`ve tried looking on the CWG site but no luck so far.
Dad enlisted in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment but was in the Royal Signals. He said that he was a driver/batman and so travelled hundreds of miles driving jeeps and lorries from Cairo ,through to Palestine and Iraq.

I have lots of photos of my father and his pals in Palestine and Egypt between 1946 and 1947. Most have writing with info on the backs. Some are of his pal`s funeral after he was killed when his jeep was blown up. He was always sad that he could only remember his name was Steve and that his wife had only just given birth to a baby boy. If the photos would be of interest I will post some of them. I always feel that they special and need a safe home. I`ve tried looking on the CWG site but no luck so far.
Dad enlisted in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment but was in the Royal Signals. He said that he was a driver/batman and so travelled hundreds of miles driving jeeps and lorries from Cairo ,through to Palestine and Iraq.

My Dad also was in Palestine and Egypt in 46/47 and i would love to see your photos, he was a Para...
https://www.paradata.org.uk/media/3933?mediaSection=Photos

Steve had taken Dad`s jeep and officer and Dad said that they heard the explosion from the camp and knew straight away who it was.

The photos of the funeral are not marked but most of the others with Dad and his friends were marked Telitwinsky Feb 1947.

Others are marked " preparing for civvy st Telitwinsky April 47 ".

One or two are marked Baghdad billets 1945.

The swimming pool and grandstand are marked "Heliopolis sports club near Cairo Egypt August 1945 "

"Chalky and Pete Pyramids and Sphinx "

I am so pleased I`ve managed to upload. My Dad is the handsome man on his own leaning on his truck. By the way the newspaper is the Sunday Mercury !!

Back