• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Palestine

For Palestine, read same for, ADEN, 1964/67, some 95 British military deaths, and some 510 military casualty's, some maimed. Hardly gets any mention, in either military history or civil media history.

Thanks 'Serviceman' for correcting my No.s. You are right it was 758 personnel killed in Palestine. Put it down to old age and memory loss. I also belong to the P.V.A. have done for along time, years in fact. GEFF

Last edited by a moderator:
My dear Dad served in Palestine with the RAF regiment he lost his Sergeants they were all hanged he told me about the bombing of the King David Hotel he was shot at a few times never mentioned nowdays he was not to keen on me joining up.

Did your dad not mean the two pay corp Sgt's Clifford Martin and Mervyn Paice who where hanged by terrorist in 1947 and their bodies booby-trapped so rescurers were also in danger. The person responsible was the first prime minister of Irsael

That's all right. According to my records the first man killed or murdered if you like was Dvr. Bowsher, F. RASC 17/5/45

The Problem with most post war operations by British Forces, is that the Administrations past and present, considered all these as "Empire Policing Emergency's", Palestine, Suez, Malaya, Cyprus, Aden, and so did not give the recognition they deserved, for the time served and losses sustained, to we, who were there, and the family's of those lost or hurt, the pain was not less than in an official War. I think you will find that the prime minister who served with the Israeli Terror Group "Irgun" 1947/1949, was Menachem Begin, 77/83, not David Ben Gurion, Israel's first Prime minister, but I stand to be corrected on this.

How about the worst train atrocity on 28th February 1948 when 28 young boys were killed and 33 injured. Could of been worst if fourth mine had gone of but by luck or grace of GOD it did not

Did your dad not mean the two pay corp Sgt's Clifford Martin and Mervyn Paice who where hanged by terrorist in 1947 and their bodies booby-trapped so rescurers were also in danger. The person responsible was the first prime minister of Irsael
Yes thanks for the info on that

The Problem with most post war operations by British Forces, is that the Administrations past and present, considered all these as "Empire Policing Emergency's", Palestine, Suez, Malaya, Cyprus, Aden, and so did not give the recognition they deserved, for the time served and losses sustained, to we, who were there, and the family's of those lost or hurt, the pain was not less than in an official War. I think you will find that the prime minister who served with the Israeli Terror Group "Irgun" 1947/1949, was Menachem Begin, 77/83, not David Ben Gurion, Israel's first Prime minister, but I stand to be corrected on this.

I stand corrected on this, but Menachem Begin still became prime minister

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the servicemen and women who served in Palestine know that the paper back book " Epitaph for an Army of Peacekeepers" which has the names of the 784 British military personal killed in Palestine over the period May 1945 - May 1948. Since the author George Webb died The cost for the book has risen from£13-95 to a shocking £150-00 I have looked up 4 book sellers on the internet and they all have the same price tag. I have been told that the reason is that Mrs. Webb could not afford the cost of a reprint. The cost has been confirmed by my local library GEFF

Back