• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

palace theatre ickneild st

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all...i am searching for a pic of the palace theatre that was on the corner of ickneild st...if possible one that was taken on the ickneild street side which would incorporate the houses and shops...

think this maybe a toughie...any help would be appreciated..

many thanks...lyn:)

Hi Lyn

A photo of the Palace Theatre that stood on the corner of Icknield St & Summer Hill Rd. Sorry it does not include any houses either side. I can tell you it closed in 1941 and was bought by Bulpit & Sons Ltd and in 1981 it was demolished.

Phil

HockleySummerHillNewPalaceTheatre.jpg

hi phil..thanks for that pic and the info...as you have gathered i am after a pic of the shops that ran next to the theatre on ickneild st more and less opposite the warstone pub...i have looked my pub pic and as usual the shops on the other side are just out of shot so i am now asking for any pics of the no 8 bus running up ickneild st as you never know the shops i am after may just be in shot...

lyn:)

hi lyn
if you do not know about the shops that was along side i or facing it
here is a couple ; firstly on the oppersite corner facing that very centre corner of the doors was the old midland bank and directly next door on the summer hl side was old man [ senior ] which would be there grand father today
bill langdons shop;
on the oppersite side to the midland bank was the turf pub , and cross emediately to the other corner was the spring hill libary ; if you look at the picture direct and follow along side the pallie building directly at the end of there building was an old paper shop come cheap toys ;this same old news agent also had another news agent along spring hill he used to own a very highclassfancy car
but next to the paper shop which was right next ajoing the palli was the news agent and next door to that news agents was my auntie ellen fish and chip shop next to her there was a ladies fashion shop and next to her there was a bike shop
which sld lamps and accessries for cycles
as i said on te corner facing spring hil libary next was walter smiths the butchers then sidd clegg the fruiters
next to him was stoddards the butchers then a toobaconist and a couple of shops which i can not just think this time of nigh then the warston pub on the corner of camden st then there was the cake shop on the same side as you walk past the pub then there was a rake of shops before you got to the gate pub ;
lyn i think i will stop there as its late my little brain is slow now but i there say tommorrow it will all come back to me
best wishes Astonian ;;

Good mornin lyn
i think i am right in saying the last shop on the end along the pali building was a ladys fashion shop
which was on the oppersite corner to the warstone and the cornerof camden st
and just before stoddards and just after walter smiths was a big pawn broker [ pop shop for loans ]
just before cleggs vegies then a wide entry thenthere was a large iron mongers just before stoddards ,
and just on the corne of camden st was the bread and cake shop then ther was abit of a toy shop then there was
an other bit of bits and bobs hardware shop then dirty marys [ chppy ]then the gate
lyn have a nice day best wishes Alan ;;;

Lyn

This is the best I can come up with at the moment, it's looking up Icknield Street toward the theatre. The shop you are looking for must be one of these.

Phil

HockleyIcknieldStCamdenSt1950.jpg

oh this is brillient phil. as this is the closest so far..thats the warstone pub on the right corner of camden st and ickneild..yes those are most definately the shops...im just helping someone who has just discovered her gt grandfather had one of those shops...she will be delighted with this and will probably get back to you....

so gratefull phil...

lyn

Last edited:
What a brilliant result! Phil always comes up with just the right picture - I don't know how he does it!
Lyn, is the shop you are interested in the 'white building' on the left?
Polly :)

hi polly..im so chuffed...by the looks of the map yes i would say the white building looks like it...just waiting for shirley to log on...she is a member but ive just been helping her out and i think she has the exact number of the shop...the pic means a lot to me too as i have walked past these shops many times on my way to the rollar rink...:)

thanks again phil...:)

lyn..

Oh Phil thank you so much. I do so appreciate the trouble that you have gone to. My gg grandfather had a grocers shop at 157 Icknield St in 1879. He & the family were constantly moving, but he seems to have been followed by a wrecking ball. The other pic that I have seen of his shop is in the Oasis ad where the corner shop is towed round......
Thank you so much.
Shirley

I am searching for pictures of the large selection of Birmingham local Cinemas that existed well into the late 50's, also a copy of the 'What's On' list that used to appear daily in the Birmingham Evening Mail and The Despatch, can anyone help me ? Don Clive.

I know this is an old thread but I want to say that my grandfather Walter French played at the Palace and I believe at other Birmingham venues. He was a bit part player I believe, also a singer. There were times when he went through his fortune teller stage on the markets that he was know as Professor Lyons. As you can gather he was a bit of a character, if anyone can dig up any more about him it would be great. Oh and he also had a tailors shop as he was a master tailor.

Back