• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Paintings. A small collection ( Brum characters from the past).

Roy, very impressive paintings, I enjoyed looking at them, why not put a few on our Original Art Work thread. I started in Oils many years ago but tried water colour and that has been my medium ever since. Some of your work reminds me of Lowry, an artist I greatly admire for his portrayal of the Northern scene. Eric

We are nearing the anniversary of the beginning of WW1 and for members and visitors under the ' Forum ' ( Original Art Work ) and the ' Thread ' (( A small collection ( Brum characters from the past)) can now be seen an extra ' Painting and Story' referring to an unusual event that occurred during WW1 ( Xmas 1914).

Carrying out a search on the Internet I have come across a Birmingham City Council site " Children of the poor in Sutton Park". It describes the events of the slum- dwelling and under privaleged children of Birmingham who were taken on day trips to Sutton Park by the " Birmingham Cinderella Club ", this was around 1898.
I was interested to read in one part that batches of 50 children at a time were treated to a day out in Sutton Park and that one summer 600 children had been taken to the park ' to be introduced to the inestimable joys of the country'
It mentions that the helpers were asked by the kids such questions as " Are there any wolves or snakes in the woods",
" Will they bite us ", Do Bob-owlers sting ". Such was the kids disconnection with the countryside.
Further observations can be seen on this thread ( Post #1 ) And the link provided.

Back