• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Painting restoration & framing in Brum?

Maris

master brummie
Can anyone recommend someone that would carry out a basic clean and varnish (?) of an oil painting (sentimental value only) ?

As a starting-point, try Vesey Art on Chester Road, New Oscott. They could almost certainly point you in the right direction.

Big Gee

There is a photo framing and accesorey shop on Coventry Rd (A45) L/Hand side going towards the City between Gilbertstone Avenue & The Spice Store?, they may be able to help or take it to Biddles Auction Rooms and ask for their advice. Len.

Try this:

Kestrel House Antiques

Postal Address:
72 Gravelly Hill North
Birmingham
West Midlands
B23 6BB
Telephone: 0121 3732375

This guy used to restore paintings, but it was a long timeback I watched him working, but worth a phone call.

If the painting is of only sentimental value you could have a go yourself, I recently cleaned up a John Bampfield Oil Painting I purchased from Halcyon Galleries in 1984 simply with white spirit and Johnson cotton wool buds, if the painting is really old and very dirty this may not work and may need the old varnish removed as it will have Yellowed with age and need re varnishing, this is a job for the proffessional, have you tried Yellow Pages ?? Eric

Last edited:
I think the guy from Kestrel has retired try googling the restoration register for a professional or ask at the BM&AG / Dollman street centre for advice.

Something I just remembered, (not restoring paintings) is that if anyone needs a book re-binding the University of Birmingham has a book binding department!!

Back