• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Painting A Statue

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
I have a small garden statue that is in desperate need of a coat of paint. I thought it may have been made out of fibreglass, but now I am not so sure. It seems like a hollow plaster material. My question is, would I need some sort of special paint for it or would ordinary gloss exterior paint do? Any additional advice would be helpful. I have uploaded some pics if it will help.

Attachments

• stat.jpg
    stat.jpg
    739.2 KB · Views: 27
  • stat (Medium).jpg
    stat (Medium).jpg
    366 KB · Views: 27
  • WP_20160502_11_53_30_Pro (Medium).jpg
    WP_20160502_11_53_30_Pro (Medium).jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 23
  • WP_20160502_11_54_22_Pro (Medium).jpg
    WP_20160502_11_54_22_Pro (Medium).jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 26
I can't see it being a problem Terry. Matt paint would look good. Give it a good rub down first.

I did think, would matt be better, I'm not really bothered whether its gloss or matt to be honest. I didn't want the thing in the first place, but the wife insisted so what can I say. Anyway thanks Chris.

If the statute is not a 'labour-of-love', just pre-coat it with any type of PVC (even wood glue by diluting with water) to seal the surface and prevent flaking of the existing paint coat, and then paint with a water/emulsified external paint: not an oil-based paint. Using an oil-based paint will form an unwanted reaction to the PVC coating: it will flake!

Thank you wam and dpl for the replies. I've done it now, but only to a fashion. DPL is right, it's not a labour of love, I just wanted it done out of the way. All I did was get a tin of spray paint from Wilkos and spray the thing. I don't think for one minute it will last too long, but then the Mrs can have a go. Thanks again..

Attachments

• WP_20160525_10_58_00_Pro (Medium).jpg
    WP_20160525_10_58_00_Pro (Medium).jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 10
smashing job terry and can you tell pat from me she has good taste...i love the statue:D

Back