• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Paintain, Ellen

denhol1

Brummie babby
Hi thanks for your help.
I’m looking for information on Ellen Agnes Paintain maiden name Holden. She is my great aunt. B. 26/12/1890 D. 1969. I believe she lived the last 10yrs of her life living at the Lench’s Trust Ravenhurst street Birmingham. Her brother, my grandfather, Albert Holden migrant to Melbourne Australia in 1927. Ellen married Frederick Rodway Paintain. They had a son Frederick B. 1930. That’s all I know. Would love to find more information or if any member recalls the Paintain family.
cheers for now
Denhol1

Denhol
Some information is available on the online electoral rolls , though only some years are online (none after 1965): m
Luckily there seems only to be one Ellen Painton in the Birmingham area:
1927 she is with Frederick listed with George and Alice Capon at Pool Farm , Lea Hall Road, Yardley
1930 Her and Frederick at 137 Sandy Lane,
1935 Her and Frederick at 60 Aston road north with Sydney and Hannah Elwood and Margaret Evans
1939-1957 Her and Frederick at 32 Eatesbrook road. In 1955 also listed there are son Frdederick and Vera T Painton
1962 Only Helen is at 23 Eatesbrook Road
1965 She is at 18 Ravenhurst St
Earlier, in 1920n and 1921 there is an Ellen Holden (only one without extra other different Christian names) living alone at no 8 court 16 northwood St

Last edited:
Hi thanks for your help.
I’m looking for information on Ellen Agnes Paintain maiden name Holden. She is my great aunt. B. 26/12/1890 D. 1969. I believe she lived the last 10yrs of her life living at the Lench’s Trust Ravenhurst street Birmingham. Her brother, my grandfather, Albert Holden migrant to Melbourne Australia in 1927. Ellen married Frederick Rodway Paintain. They had a son Frederick B. 1930. That’s all I know. Would love to find more information or if any member recalls the Paintain family.
cheers for now
Denhol1
Ancestry has a record of Ellen Agnes Paintain's brush with the law in 1924.
Ellen Agnes Paintain.jpg

Possibly two daughters - May b1918, died young and Doris b1925, married Eric R Heath 1948.

It actually says "nightdress, chemise etc" so we don't know how much she stole or where from, but sentences were harsh - think of the people earlier who were deported for what we would see as petty crimes.

Mike - can you check the Eatesbrook Road house number because I thought it was 23 not 32.
Thanks Janice. Must be getting dyslexic in my old age. If you had asked me without looking , I would have said 23, but twisted it in the post

Yes. It seems my great aunt had a tough life. Having to live at the Lench trust homes, they were, I assume, only for the poorest of poor elderly people.
She was never spoken of within my family.

Back