• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Paint code

Robert Ensor (bob)

master brummie
So call me crazy I am really thinking of painting a van to look like a bus in the blue and cream colours
No one here (US) will get it as they will not recognize the look of a Brumie bus, and no one else will have that.
So does any one have the paint codes for BCT

So call me crazy I am really thinking of painting a van to look like a bus in the blue and cream colours
No one here (US) will get it as they will not recognize the look of a Brumie bus, and no one else will have that.
So does any one have the paint codes for BCT
i dont think your crazy, i had a friend who gave me a few galls of bct blue, i painted a sherpa van with it. it looked good.
ask ragga he might know the code. fm 203 blue. i think and fm 251cream , roof 252

Last edited:
I am not sure what we are talking about here. I thought it was a van that could be used on a road, but maybe it is a model we are talking about?
You might find this link interesting:

I am not sure what we are talking about here. I thought it was a van that could be used on a road, but maybe it is a model we are talking about?
You might find this link interesting:
It is for a road going vehicle but if I can not find a company here in the US that can supply the paint per code I would buy the model paints as samples and have them mail here, then have the paint made a a custom colour match or used for a wrap

Is there any truth that they used to hand paint Birmingham Buses with Tekaloid paint?

Is there any truth that they used to hand paint Birmingham Buses with Tekaloid paint?
My answer here is not based on true knowledge of how early buses were painted, but Tekaloid paint is known as coach paint,
Now when I say coach it also means coach work (body work) many vehicles were hand painted in the early years so I would assume the buses were hand painted,
Back when I was a Rolls apprentice P J Evans had a real early Rolls that they sent to be hand painted, and when it came back to would never know it had been brushed

They used to hand paint the buses when I worked at Tyburn works in 1976. Tekaloid may have been used, I don't know.
That seems so late for them to still hand paint, I believe what you said but I now have to wonder why they still were hand painting in the mid 70s.
We need someone to help with the history

I hand painted a Volvo 144 with Tekaloid. Made a right mess of it.
at least your honest. i painted a marina van and a sherper with it. in 1985 when the weather was hot. i used a roller,it come out ok. the paint was from the garage bct blue that was tekaloid . so they must have used it

Attachments

• pete the painter.jpg
    pete the painter.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 3
That seems so late for them to still hand paint, I believe what you said but I now have to wonder why they still were hand painting in the mid 70s.
ask boris the pm he makes and paints model buses

Last edited:
The electrical shop where I was based was next to the paint shop. A lot of women worked in the paint shop brush-painting. I don't recall any spraying taking place. Happy to be corrected.

They used to hand paint the buses when I worked at Tyburn works in 1976. Tekaloid may have been used, I don't know.
In 1958, two new paint spray booths were installed at Tyburn Road. These were for for varnish coat. Tests, with pleasing results, had been ongoing since 1952. There was a shortage of suitable brush painters plus an increase of the bus fleet. It was said that 15 buses needed to be outshopped each week but only 11 were being achieved. What paint manufacturer was used I cannot say. Once slab sided buses were in most fleets in the UK mechanical painting became widespread, which did alter and simplify some liveries.

In 1958, two new paint spray booths were installed at Tyburn Road. These were for for varnish coat. Tests, with pleasing results, had been ongoing since 1952. There was a shortage of suitable brush painters plus an increase of the bus fleet. It was said that 15 buses needed to be outshopped each week but only 11 were being achieved. What paint manufacturer was used I cannot say. Once slab sided buses were in most fleets in the UK mechanical painting became widespread, which did alter and simplify some liveries.
Interesting. I didn't know where the spray booths were, someone will tell us.

It comes as no surprise there was a shortage of brush painters for coach work it really is a true skill, I have seen done on a horse drawn carriage.
I have no idea what it would take to paint a bus both in skill level and time when these true "coach" painters were finished you could not tell it was done with a brush

Back in the mid 1960's, with less family and work responsibilities, I was able to assist with the restoration of a 1939 Leyland Tiger bus. It belonged to a late friend who was into collecting vintage buses and other vehicles. I admit I was not involved with the finishing coats but preparation and undercoats were my tasks. Very rewarding and enjoyable work. Lining out is also a skilled job, with diminishing number of skilled people able to do it.

Last edited:
Back