• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Paget Rd School Pype Hayes

My heartthrob was Mr Watson, he was gorgeous. I remember writing him a letter when I moved up a year pouring my heart out to him! I cringe when I think of it now, never gave a thought to the consequences or the repercussions it could have caused.

Hi Pamela, I think you'll find it was Miss Warne not Miss Ward. Yes, she did have her shoes made for her she was also a great swimming coach. A few of us were invited to her house off Slade Rd on occasions.
When did you leave? I left in the summer of '62.

hi mike ...paget road sec mod was where i ended my days at school mr roberts was my teacher prior to leaving ,he used to pay me five bob to clean his car on the dinner hour which was spent at freers where my sister used to work ,btw do you remember ray taylor of 31 westmead crescent next door to the dwarf !!!!.
dgat

Hi I attended Paget from about 51 to 62 that was Infants/Junior and Senior, I class it as an ok time in my life, I also remember a Raymond Taylor from Westmead Crescent, Janet Cope, Arthur Dingley, Thomas Skinner and Raymond Samsom from Paget Rd.
After looking at the staff photo 1958 I recognize Mr Southal but sorry to say not anybody else.

Mike Trinder
Hi I attended Paget from about 51 to 62 that was Infants/Junior and Senior, I class it as an ok time in my life, I also remember a Raymond Taylor from Westmead Crescent, Janet Cope, Arthur Dingley, Thomas Skinner and Raymond Samsom from Paget Rd.
After looking at the staff photo 1958 I recognize Mr Southal but sorry to say not anybody else.

Mike Trinder
Remember most of names of boys
RAY TAYLOR father worked at pype hayes park . Also remeber yourself . Must keep in touch .

Possible WW2 bomb damage in Paget Road
In post#88 in the 'Bomb damage in unidentified streets' thread there is the following pic of badly damaged residential property.
index.php

The aerial view below dated 1926 shows Paget Rd (2) and note the terrace block (1). I can just make out the bay windows. It looks as if the housing is newly built and Paget Rd is curved as in Viv's image 15.
index.php

This area-view below dated 1945 from Google shows Paget Rd (2) with Tyburn Rd (3) on the right. Where the terrace block (1) was in the 1926 image now appears to be a space - maybe a bombsite! The apparent diagonal stripes across Paget Rd are shadows from the house chimneys and there are no shadows where the terrace block (1) was.
index.php

A link to the Barra website which mentions someone being killed by bombing in Paget Road.

images are forum links and may only be visible if logged in

Last edited:
hi, i was at paget rd 60 to 65 , good days good school,
does anyone remenber mr grimmet , maths teacher he was strict , he once caught 6 of us smoking in the toilets,
that day was painfull, where is ronnie bartlam, graham salt, keith floyd, one girl i do remember is anne lawson if your out there anne
do you have any relatives that lived in a village called little comberton, a few miles from evesham,
steve ,,,

Just reading your thread from last year, my mom and her sisters attended Paget between 40's and 60's, the Williams sisters, Brenda, Pat, Christine (My mom) and Dylis. They lived on Holly Lane. Has anyone got any class photos of my mom?

Remember most of names of boys
RAY TAYLOR father worked at pype hayes park . Also remeber yourself . Must keep in touch .

Hi Mike, sorry but I do not remember many names, am now living in Dunedin New Zealand. Do you remember Arthur Dingley!! he also had emigrated to Dunedin NZ but passed away ~2002.
In the 70s my brother Eric Trinder and his family and myself and family emigrated in1973 but all went back to UK in 1977, myself and family went back to NZ in 1985.

I loved Padget Road School, I am now 75 but lovely memories, Mrs.Edwards who was sewing teacher, Miss Garvey, headmistress, tried us into little ladies but an uphillstruggle. I loved sports with Ann Matourti, we quite a few girls from St. Josephs orphanage, nice girls, Pauline West was a friend I remember. My name was Yvonne Thompsett then. I now live in France.

I went to Moor End Lane, But my Mum and Dad went to Paget Road in the 50,s At Moor End I had a PE Teacher Called Mrs Edwards, My Mum recognised her from Paget Road, when she was a kid, Wonder if she was married to Paget Roads Mr Edwards? She was pretty tough
There was a Mrs. Edwards marries to Mr.Edwards he was teacher and sports teacher as well, alas the marriage did not last, very sad for her, I won't go into details but he was not nice.

Hello Lynda.
Yes Mrs Edwards Teacher at Paget road School was married to Mr.Edwards in boys school. Mrs Edwards was one of my teachers apart from other lessons she used to take us for needlework. I was at Paget Road School in from about 1949 after attending Paget Road Infants School. My name then was Paamela Green, I lived in Woodlands Farm Road, Erdington. I used to walk all the way to school and never thought anything of it. It was great when the 66J bus started to run as at least I got a treat during the Winter. Best wishes, Pam
Hi Pam, I remember you, I was yvonne thompsett, called 'tomcat' do you remember Pauline West, I loved the school, but my mum transferred me at 14 to Longmeadow, for horrid shorthand and typing, I hated the school, big field but they were crap at sports, and lots of bullying, worst 2 years if my life.

Possible WW2 bomb damage in Paget Road
In post#88 in the 'Bomb damage in unidentified streets' thread there is the following pic of badly damaged residential property.
index.php

The aerial view below dated 1926 shows Paget Rd (2) and note the terrace block (1). I can just make out the bay windows. It looks as if the housing is newly built and Paget Rd is curved as in Viv's image 15.
index.php

This area-view below dated 1945 from Google shows Paget Rd (2) with Tyburn Rd (3) on the right. Where the terrace block (1) was in the 1926 image now appears to be a space - maybe a bombsite! The apparent diagonal stripes across Paget Rd are shadows from the house chimneys and there are no shadows where the terrace block (1) was.
index.php

A link to the Barra website which mentions someone being killed by bombing in Paget Road.
https://database.birminghamairraids.co.uk/

images are forum links and may only be visible if logged in

Most likely happened on the 23rd/24th August 1940. When over 200 german bombers attacked the Fort Dunlop factory.

Mentioned in the below under 'Raids on British cities'

I went to Paget school 86-88 and remember the gap in the housing. There was what looked like a classroom there looking rather odd, although it was never used when I was at the school.

Hi, I went to Paget Road, 67 to 72, my name was Susan Taylor, my older sister Mary Ann and my two younger brothers Christopher and Michael also attended. I remember some teachers, the head Mistress when I started was Mrs Garvey, I remember her standing on the steps in the corridor, shouting " Single File, Indian Style" I was wondering if there are some pictures of the teachers, I would love to see them, to see how good my memory is

Both my parents - William Browne and Gladys Ray - went to Paget Road school in the 1930s. Dad was two years ahead of mum, and although they didn't start going out till much later they knew of each other as mum lived in Humberstone Road and dad lived in Elmfield Avenue.

I don't know if anyone has anyone has any school photos from the mid-Thirties, I'd be vey interested to see them.

Hi Folks,
Just Joined the Forum and am interested in any one who lived in the erdington area that went to Paget Road school 1970s-early 80s.
Also willing to chat in General to any other members.
Best wishes
Richard

Welcome to the forum Richard.
If you put Paget road school into the search in the top righthand corner of the page it will take you to your school thread.
We also have various Erdington threads which you will find by searching with the Search .You will find some interesting posts and photos, enjoy, Alberta.

Back