• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Paddington Street Aston

would just like to welcome jen to the forum and especially this thread as jen and i were neighbours...she lived at 5/14 and i was in nans at 4/12 and have just found out that one of my gt aunts who lived at the front of no 14 used to bake apples pies for her family and leave them in the entry..hope we can continue chatting on this thread jen

lyn

Last edited:
Thank you for the tips Lyn. What a small world this is turning out to be. Do you remember the shop in Guildford Street, opposite the top of Paddington Street? I think it was Highley's.

most welcome jen...like i said if you need any help just give us a shout...yes i do recall that shop but not the name of it i also recall the outdoor on the corner of guildford and paddington think nan used to fetch her jug of ale from there...i left paddington st in about 1959 when i was nearly 6 and my brother was 3 leaving nan there until she had no choice but to move out..she had been at 4/12 since at least 1911 so did not want to move..of course we continued to visit her until demo round about the late 60s so our paths must have crossed...could i ask when you were born i was born in 53 not being nosey but i just wondered if we were similar ages...have you seen the photos yet of paddington st jen..and yes it is a small world just when you think thats it someone else pops up

lyn :)

most welcome jen...like i said if you need any help just give us a shout...yes i do recall that shop but not the name of it i also recall the outdoor on the corner of guildford and paddington think nan used to fetch her jug of ale from there...i left paddington st in about 1959 when i was nearly 6 and my brother was 3 leaving nan there until she had no choice but to move out..she had been at 4/12 since at least 1911 so did not want to move..of course we continued to visit her until demo round about the late 60s so our paths must have crossed...could i ask when you were born i was born in 53 not being nosey but i just wondered if we were similar ages...have you seen the photos yet of paddington st jen..and yes it is a small world just when you think thats it someone else pops up

lyn :)
I was born in 1953. I looked at the 2 photos posted but don't recall any familiar faces. We moved to Paddington St in 1957/8 I think and left in 1963. Was there a bombed building site opposite our houses? Jen

snap with our birth years jen...9th of november for me please dont tell me we were also born on the same day:D...i dont think there were bombed out houses opposite us but possibly a clearing where some houses had been demolished...the photos i posted earlier on on this thread have got a watermark through them so i am going to repost them later without the mark but just for now here is the one showing from right to left numbers 6 to 14..i am also posting the 1960 electoral rolls which was most likely taken the year before..as you will see the walker family is there and next door is my nan lily wood and my parents george and beryl harrington so we were there at the same time..we must have moved not long after the e rolls were taken but it is quite possible that you and i played together... at no 14 you will see my gt aunt elsie langford..her husband walter and his sister lilian and also my other gt aunt maud mosely..the date of the photo is 1964 ..hope this photo brings back memories jen . i remember it as if it was yesterday..also posting you a map of paddington st my houses 4/12 is marked in pinkpaddington street map.jpg

lyn

paddington st e rolls 1960.jpgpaddingtonstandqueen040 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Hi Lyn, I have this one, would it be that it’s a later date. As on yours my parents name is not on it. I have the earlier people’s address.368990A9-1CC9-448A-9963-3638C6618B0F.png

I was born in 1953. I looked at the 2 photos posted but don't recall any familiar faces. We moved to Paddington St in 1957/8 I think and left in 1963. Was there a bombed building site opposite our houses? Jen
Hi everybody i was also born November 53 we might have already had that discussion lyn

hi jackie we lived in paddington st not porchchester but if your parents names are not on that eroll i must have been taken after you left the street

hi cowperkid...nov 1953 is getting popular thats at least 3 of us on this thread born then :) ...as i said earlier i was born on the 9th..

lyn

hi jackie we lived in paddington st not porchchester but if your parents names are not on that eroll i must have been taken after you left the street

hi cowperkid...nov 1953 is getting popular thats at least 3 of us on this thread born then :) ...as i said earlier i was born on the 9th..

lyn

lyn
Hi Lyn, Irene & John James are on your eroll for number 60 Porchester St. My parents are on the eroll number 60 I posted. Have I posted it on the wrong thread. How often do they update the eroll’s?

Stay Safe
Jackie

Thank you enormously for those nostalgic posts. That’s the first photo of the houses I’ve seen. Gosh it evokes so many memories. It is possible we played together, although we had a big garden and we’re not allowed to play on the street. I remember playing in the back yard where the block of toilets were. The brew house was intact with the dolly & tub still present!

hi jen happy to help..tomorrow i will post the other 3 photos of the street i have...one of them taken looking towards guildford st i think shows the shop we spoke about..i also have family photos taken showing the back yard and you can see the brew house with a mangle outside and also the toilets if you would like me to post those and the 2 taken of me looking into your back garden let me know?

lyn

hi jen as promised 3 more photos of paddington st..the one is taken looking towards guildford st i think it shows the shop we talked about also showing are a couple of kids out playing one of them is a girl running..could that be you ? actually zooming in on it it could very well be me as we used to visit nan after we left the street until the late 60s..another shows numbers 16 to 38 which also shows the front gate of my gt aunts at no 14 and a close up of the entry that you would have used.

lynpaddington st 2.jpgpaddington st 1.jpgpaddington st numbers 16 to 38.jpg

Hi Di
I remember your brother Albert.
You mention Kench , their daughter HAZEL was my childhood sweetheart !
Take care
Albert Clayton No. 39

Hi Di
Take care
Albert Clayton No. 39

hi albert and fantastic...its good to welcome someone else from paddington st...i think its possible that my photo 1 on post 176 may show your house at no 39 ? what years were you living there...all the best

lyn

Hi Di
Take care
Albert Clayton No. 39
Hey Albert! are you back living in Oz? The last time we spoke you were in Indonesia or was it the Philippines? Still in real estate?
Dave A

Hey Albert! are you back living in Oz? The last time we spoke you were in Indonesia or was it the Philippines? Still in real estate?
Dave A
Hi .... Dave Astly ?

Yes , still in Philippines , I have sent you a couple of mails but no reply...
good to be back in contact !
Al

Back