• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pacifism in Birmingham’s history

Which piece of information do you refer to ? The reference to the Birmingham University talk is as stated in Post 8 being from the book Empire of Guns by Priya Satia.
I think the author is from Stanford or Berkeley University in California. I find it humorous for her book to call it violent making of an industrial revolution… but then talks about Pacifists. (Again before I comment I should read it). But there was a prof from California who spoke about the Galtons and I believe this is her.

I think you are correct. I went to that talk in Birmingham. There were a number in the audience who did not agree with her. Below are three pages from her book concerning Galton

From empire of Guns.jpg

I’m wondering if there is any information further back past John sr. and Sam sr.

CG
I just read a couple of articles on West Midlands History. One by Jenny Uglow was insightful.
Separately I thought there were many other historical article including about the Lunar Society. If this has been covered previously, my apologies for being redundant.

I just read a couple of articles on West Midlands History. One by Jenny Uglow was insightful.
Separately I thought there were many other historical article including about the Lunar Society. If this has been covered previously, my apologies for being redundant.
Are you able to forward it on?
CG

Apparently the factory was in Steelhouse lane, near to the Kettel's steelhouses. But there are no indications as to exactly where . Certainly there are no buildings of that age in Steelhouse lane now extant.

Back