• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

P.S.V. Badge

W

Wendy

Here's a photo of my husbands P.S.V. badge from his days on the buses. He was a driver on the 55-56 buses in 1966 out of Washwood Heath Garage.

Moma P

Your husband must have carried me as a passenger on many occasions as a teenager. I hope I behaved myself.

pmc1947

pmc1947 He said send a photo and he will tell you as he remembers them all! He has always been concerned about the chap who was standing very close to the kerb, (so he could get on first). The front of the bus always overhung the kerb which was fine, but he knocked his hat off with the wing mirror:Aah: ..........oh I hope he doesn't read this:D

Postied I asked him and it didn't ring a bell but he said their were so many drivers and clippies they tended to mix in groups.........are you in touch with Don?

I think they were Alf. Michael tells me one of the hardest and probably most frightening things was in the rush hour. The double decker bus would be full of people and also with people standing down the isle. Then to go round an island he would have to stand to turn the steering wheel then the wheel would rub on the body of the bus................oh m.g..:Aah: where were health and safety then!???

On the buses

The conductors badges were green and the drivers were red.
I worked at Washwood Heath Bus Garage as a conductor and driver between 1965-1975. Les Linnecor.

The conductors badges were green and the drivers were red.
I worked at Washwood Heath Bus Garage as a conductor and driver between 1964-1975. Les Linnecor.

When I started we worked a 6 day week. There were only two services operating from the garage. 55 and 56.

The 55 terminated at Longmeadow Crescent. Shard End. Or if it was a short run 55F Timberley Lane. 55E Shard End Crescent. 55D Garage
55c Saltley Gate 55B Nechells Place.

The 56 terminated at the Clock Garage, Newport Road. Or if it was a short run 56F Fox and Goose (Every other bus). 56E Sladefield Road
56D Garage. 56C Saltley Gate 56 B Nechells Place.

ON the back loader buses bell signals were 1 To stop. 2 To go.3 Full up
4 (Or more) Emergency!

There were two types of bus stops then. A blue plate stop was a request stop and a red plate stop was a compulsory stop.

There was another service introduced a bit later which was the 57
This operated from the Fox and Goose to Castle Vale which had just been built.

Even later the first one man operated bus from Washwood Heath Garage (Single Deck) operated between the new Bromford Bridge Estate. and Highfield Road/Alum Rock. This was the no 26.

Les, I remember you.My exhusband John Altimas worked with you at Washwood Heath.
He was pensioned off after a heart attack in 1988 but is now in the best of health.

Yes I remember John and bumped into him a few times after he had left. Please give him my kind regards if you see him again.

Les

Moma P ask your hubby if he knew Don Turner.:Aah: :( :redface:

I knew John Turner when I worked at Washwood Heath Garage. If I remember right he was very keen on fishing and I believe he opened a fishing shop in Shard End.
I worked there as a bus conductor and driver 1963-1975 and later as a bus inspector in the 90's.

I well remember coming out of the City in the rush hour on the 14s and 55s. Standing up to steer the fleetlines around Lancaster Circus at full speed with the wheels rubbing on the body work and the platform bouncing off the tarmac.

Jfc thats given Michael a good laugh this morning he remembers it well!:D Les Michael must have known you as you were both there at the same time.:confused2: gibbo2005 he just said "Midland Red........ah one of the brylcream boys".lol

Wendy, Can't remember Michael I was at Lea Hall '75-'78 Then Tamworth till '86 and Washwood Heath '89-'91. Have been in North Wales Arriva Rhyl since then.

gibbo I think you know my friend 'Diddy' Dave Oughton, did you meet him when he came to Australia on holiday? He was an engineer from Sutton and later Digbeth.

Hi all Just joined great site I was a Driver at Lea Hall from 1961 - 1998 I still have my drivers and conductors badges & Bundy Key, Enjoyed all the pic's of old Buses good memories, Done a few years on the Glebe 28 71 590 ended up on 71 worked with some great blokes and ladies. Goin for a pint now take care.. DD43834 BH ;)

I lost my badge in the bus station many years ago - they weren't necessary then and so I couldn't get it replaced. It was DD 61276 if it's in anyone's collection!

Back