• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

P.J. Evans Essex Street

Hello Vic - I was certainly at P J Evans from 1970 to 1974 - firstly at Granville St then we all moved to Lower Essex St. I was an apprentice mechanic (completed in 1974) in those days as you may have seen in my earlier posts. I have long been interested in what became of the people I met and worked with then - and some of the customers too. As you suggest, and I agree, it was a time of (I certainly had) wonderful and exciting experiences (so many) with what I now recognise as powerful and impacting relationships/friendships. Perhaps it was a matter of 'time and place' - the 1970's, my youth/age and belief that anything was possible...got degrees inc DPsych much later - . I recall a number of Malcolms during that time - Malcolm 'flea pit' Fletcher, he was one of triplet boys and a really quiet and helpful person; Malcolm Bassett, lanky and long hair with a beard, had a Reliant 3 wheel car we called the 'plastic pig'. He used to give me a lift home to Moseley before I got a car, we used to pick his wife up on the way, she worked at a bank. Malcolm (I wonder if this is Palmer) who I think had ginger hair and who was about my age then, not an apprentice but learning on the job.
Malcolm Palmer had left PJ's some years before. He is shown in Kelly's Directory 1967/68 as having a garage at Thimblemill Lane Aston repairing Jaguars. He was a regular customer at the Essex Street parts department up the road from where you worked when I was there 1973-74. You must have known Steve Dutton and Albert Stretton. I worked with Albert on the front counter along with Mike Collins and Johnny Bow. I agree totally about 'time and place'. My degree came much later too as did double the wages of the motor trade. I always missed the motor trade though especially PJ's.

The shopfitting firm I worked for back in the 60/70's was in Bow St, just across Bristol St . We did all of PJ Evans maintenance inc the directors houses, we even had a Mrs Evans, one of their ex wives, working in our office
Any chance you came across Cecil Studeholme Parts Director at P J Evans?

-------------------------------------------------
I don't recognise the name, sorry, one of the directors had a large house at Ilmington near Stratford and I worked there several times but never saw Mr Evans there himself as far as I can recall

I certainly do remember Mr Studeholm. Yes Steve Dutton and I became very good friends over the years. Steve (his twin brother Jaime) me and other friends used to go to the Gate pub on a Saturday then on the Knickers night club on Soho Hill - wonderful. Steve and I went to the South of France together for two weeks - we had planned to go in my Mini Cooper but the sub frame broke and we had to use my sisters old frog eyed sprite -which we had to sleep in sometimes because no money, lol. Amazingly I had gone 'sick' from work for those two weeks and when on a road between St Tropez and Cavelier? along came a roller PJE 3 - we think it was Reginald Gore on holiday - he was also a director of PJ Evans. I think he also has something to do with the design of the TR 4a. You will recall Steve sold him band equipment and bought a motor bike a Norton Commando! Great times.

I certainly do remember Mr Studeholm. Yes Steve Dutton and I became very good friends over the years. Steve (his twin brother Jaime) me and other friends used to go to the Gate pub on a Saturday then on the Knickers night club on Soho Hill - wonderful. Steve and I went to the South of France together for two weeks - we had planned to go in my Mini Cooper but the sub frame broke and we had to use my sisters old frog eyed sprite -which we had to sleep in sometimes because no money, lol. Amazingly I had gone 'sick' from work for those two weeks and when on a road between St Tropez and Cavelier? along came a roller PJE 3 - we think it was Reginald Gore on holiday - he was also a director of PJ Evans. I think he also has something to do with the design of the TR 4a. You will recall Steve sold him band equipment and bought a motor bike a Norton Commando! Great times.
I did not know about the band equipment and I'd never heard of Reginald Gore so I've learnt something more about PJ's. Much appreciated. Did you know Albert Stretton? I sometimes wonder what has happened to all the staff at PJ's who I worked with.

Hello Vic - I was certainly at P J Evans from 1970 to 1974 - firstly at Granville St then we all moved to Lower Essex St. I was an apprentice mechanic (completed in 1974) in those days as you may have seen in my earlier posts. I have long been interested in what became of the people I met and worked with then - and some of the customers too. As you suggest, and I agree, it was a time of (I certainly had) wonderful and exciting experiences (so many) with what I now recognise as powerful and impacting relationships/friendships. Perhaps it was a matter of 'time and place' - the 1970's, my youth/age and belief that anything was possible...got degrees inc DPsych much later - . I recall a number of Malcolms during that time - Malcolm 'flea pit' Fletcher, he was one of triplet boys and a really quiet and helpful person; Malcolm Bassett, lanky and long hair with a beard, had a Reliant 3 wheel car we called the 'plastic pig'. He used to give me a lift home to Moseley before I got a car, we used to pick his wife up on the way, she worked at a bank. Malcolm (I wonder if this is Palmer) who I think had ginger hair and who was about my age then, not an apprentice but learning on the job.
Any chance you remember Carol the parts driver's surname? I cannot remember and it bothers me. The Granville Street Morris 1000 van GFD 23K she drove is still in existence as a lad at Granville Street bought it in 1978 and he has kept it in terrific condition ever since.

Last edited:
Any chance you remember Carol the parts driver's surname? I cannot remember and it bothers me. The Granville Street Morris 1000 van GFD 72K she drove is still in existence as a lad at Granville Street bought it in 1978 and he has kept it in terrific condition ever since.
Hi Vic, I certainly do remember Carol and the Morris 1000 van she drove. Unfortunately not her last name. Such a shame that others from those days in the 1970's are not on this fantastic site. Guys from both Granville St and Essex St.

Hi Vic, I certainly do remember Carol and the Morris 1000 van she drove. Unfortunately not her last name. Such a shame that others from those days in the 1970's are not on this fantastic site. Guys from both Granville St and Essex St.
Yes, we could do with a lot more who worked at both places. I would really like to find out how they are and the stories they could tell about those days.

Does anyone remember reception lads michael bird,robert birch,and ken hapanik .in late 70,s.i need to find michael bird to speak to him .

Anyone out there work at The Jaguar Rover Triumph spares department in the early 70s? I was there 1973-74 on the front counter and Jaguar telephone enquiries. I remember the legend Mike Collins, Johnny Bow, Chris Spilsbury, John Bromley, Melvyn Shufflebottom, Albert Stretton, Steve Kazee. It was the best 18 months of all my time in the motor trade and I should have stayed much longer. Mr Studeholme is unforgettable!!
Hi John bromley was my dad he passed in 2004 wish seen this before

Emma

He was the Parts Director and based at Essex Street. His outbursts were legendary but I've worked for far worse. His managers were the excellent John Bromley (Jaguar parts) and also excellent Melvyn Shufflebottom (Triumph parts). The front counter was overseen by Mike Collins, the best partsman I ever worked with.

Hi Emma, photos are so powerful. I remember that face which means your dad was there during my time as app mechanic. 1970 - 74/5

Hi John bromley was my dad he passed in 2004 wish seen this before

Emma
Terrific bloke and excellent manager. I always remember a man coming into PJ's in Essex Street when I was on the front counter in 1973. He asked me for a speedo drive for a early 1950s Jaguar XK120. I could not find the parts book so I asked your dad and without hesitation he told me the part number!

Last edited:
Terrific bloke with and excellent manager. I always remember a man coming into PJ's in Essex Street when I was on the front counter in 1973. He asked me for a speedo drive for a early 1950s Jaguar XK120. I could not find the parts book so I asked your dad and without hesitation he told me the part number!
Wonderful. That kind of knowledge tends to derive from a real interest and passion for the subject - the willingness to share that knowledge suggests a happy team!

Terrific bloke with and excellent manager. I always remember a man coming into PJ's in Essex Street when I was on the front counter in 1973. He asked me for a speedo drive for a early 1950s Jaguar XK120. I could not find the parts book so I asked your dad and without hesitation he told me the part number!
Thank you

Anyone out there work at The Jaguar Rover Triumph spares department in the early 70s? I was there 1973-74 on the front counter and Jaguar telephone enquiries. I remember the legend Mike Collins, Johnny Bow, Chris Spilsbury, John Bromley, Melvyn Shufflebottom, Albert Stretton, Steve Kazee. It was the best 18 months of all my time in the motor trade and I should have stayed much longer. Mr Studeholme is unforgettable!!

Attachments

• 20220724_120847.jpg
    20220724_120847.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
Back