• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

P.J. Evans Essex Street

He was the Parts Director and based at Essex Street. His outbursts were legendary but I've worked for far worse. His managers were the excellent John Bromley (Jaguar parts) and also excellent Melvyn Shufflebottom (Triumph parts). The front counter was overseen by Mike Collins, the best partsman I ever worked with.

Hi Emma, photos are so powerful. I remember that face which means your dad was there during my time as app mechanic. 1970 - 74/5

Hi John bromley was my dad he passed in 2004 wish seen this before

Emma
Terrific bloke and excellent manager. I always remember a man coming into PJ's in Essex Street when I was on the front counter in 1973. He asked me for a speedo drive for a early 1950s Jaguar XK120. I could not find the parts book so I asked your dad and without hesitation he told me the part number!

Last edited:
Terrific bloke with and excellent manager. I always remember a man coming into PJ's in Essex Street when I was on the front counter in 1973. He asked me for a speedo drive for a early 1950s Jaguar XK120. I could not find the parts book so I asked your dad and without hesitation he told me the part number!
Wonderful. That kind of knowledge tends to derive from a real interest and passion for the subject - the willingness to share that knowledge suggests a happy team!

Terrific bloke with and excellent manager. I always remember a man coming into PJ's in Essex Street when I was on the front counter in 1973. He asked me for a speedo drive for a early 1950s Jaguar XK120. I could not find the parts book so I asked your dad and without hesitation he told me the part number!
Thank you

Anyone out there work at The Jaguar Rover Triumph spares department in the early 70s? I was there 1973-74 on the front counter and Jaguar telephone enquiries. I remember the legend Mike Collins, Johnny Bow, Chris Spilsbury, John Bromley, Melvyn Shufflebottom, Albert Stretton, Steve Kazee. It was the best 18 months of all my time in the motor trade and I should have stayed much longer. Mr Studeholme is unforgettable!!

Attachments

• 20220724_120847.jpg
    20220724_120847.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
does anyone remember rolls royce dept essex street or any of the reception lads.michael bird,robert birch,and ken hapanick.i worked in office there from 1976 stayed 4 and half years then left to have my baby.have been trying to find out about michael birds where abouts need to speak to him.

It's 50 years ago this month when I walked through these doors for the first time. I drove there the other day for a trip down memory lane.

Attachments

• essexst2023b.JPG
    essexst2023b.JPG
    440.3 KB · Views: 15
does anyone remember rolls royce dept essex street or any of the reception lads.michael bird,robert birch,and ken hapanick.i worked in office there from 1976 stayed 4 and half years then left to have my baby.have been trying to find out about michael birds where abouts need to speak to him.
if anyone can help please contact diana via our private message system..as this may involve a living person any information must not be posted on open forum

the team

It's 50 years ago this month when I walked through these doors for the first time. I drove there the other day for a trip down memory lane.
It's always a pleasure when someone from 'my time' at PJ's posts. I was apprentice mechanic from 1970 - 1974 first at Granville Street (Manager Mr Hastings gave me the job) then we all moved to Essex Street. Stan was foreman of the Rolls mechanics and Johnny Coles forman of the Triumph etc. I do wish some of the guys I worked with from those days would post. My good friend in the stores was Steve Dutton - very long curly hair. Great to remember.

Steve Dutton sounds vaguely familiar. I think he came to Essex Street with his mate Albert Stretton and they were both put on the front counter at Essex Street when I was there. Albert Stretton was definitely at Essex Street 73/74.
hi this is steve dutton and i`m still around! p.j. evans was my first job after leaving school. i was at essex street for a couple of years and then moved to granville street working in the RR parts department with peter kendal. I remember Mick Collins, Bob yeomans, john bromley Reg kitson, Cecil Studholme (terrible temper) saw him throw a telephone through his glass partioned office in essex street.

Hi Vic, so glad we got there and that Steve Dutton and co did exist (just deown the road..) not just a figment of my imagination. I should have been clearer that I was talking about PJ's workshop in Essex Street. It is often the case that appreciation comes in retrospect and 'youth is wasted on the young', lol. Although I loved my youth and time at PJ's.
Yes i started in the workshop parts department. then to the main stores up the road, and then to granville street stores triumph and rolls royce. with peter kendal.

He was the Parts Director and based at Essex Street. His outbursts were legendary but I've worked for far worse. His managers were the excellent John Bromley (Jaguar parts) and also excellent Melvyn Shufflebottom (Triumph parts). The front counter was overseen by Mike Collins, the best partsman I ever worked with.
great guy mick collins, not only the best parts man but also the smartest dressed. always thought he`d probably been in the military.

Steve Dutton sounds vaguely familiar. I think he came to Essex Street with his mate Albert Stretton and they were both put on the front counter at Essex Street when I was there. Albert Stretton was definitely at Essex Street 73/74.

Hi Vic, do you recall Steve Dutton, we used to go to a rock club in Handsworth on Sat nights (long wild hair - had a twin brother Jaime) and another Steve who was a part time bouncer, (I think) both worked in the stores at PJE Granville Street when I was there. Same time as Melvyn - who I think I now recall as Mel - same time as Carol the parts driver.
the part time bouncer was steve coney. really lovely guy. i worked with him at granville street

hi this is steve dutton and i`m still around! p.j. evans was my first job after leaving school. i was at essex street for a couple of years and then moved to granville street working in the RR parts department with peter kendal. I remember Mick Collins, Bob yeomans, john bromley Reg kitson, Cecil Studholme (terrible temper) saw him throw a telephone through his glass partioned office in essex street.
My dad John Bromley passed away 2004 and bob Yeomans passed few years ago

the part time bouncer was steve coney. really lovely guy. i worked with him at granville street
Hi Steve, Yes Steve Coney was great fun, and had some good stories. Do you recall that you (Steve Dutton) and I took 2 weeks leave from PJ's and went to South of France in my sister sprite? We didn't have much money and we slept in the two seater car on occasions. We had an accident coming back from San Tropez. I hope you are that Steve, lol? You bought a motor bike a Norton 850 I think. We used to go to Nickers night club in Handsworth on occasions. Great times - hope it is you? Is your brother still around?

great guy mick collins, not only the best parts man but also the smartest dressed. always thought he`d probably been in the military.
Great to see you on the forum. Mick Collins did National Service in the RAF, mostly stationed in Germany. He was also in the Merchant Navy, a mess steward I think. Was I correct in thinking you were mates with Albert Stretton?

Hi Steve, Yes Steve Coney was great fun, and had some good stories. Do you recall that you (Steve Dutton) and I took 2 weeks leave from PJ's and went to South of France in my sister sprite? We didn't have much money and we slept in the two seater car on occasions. We had an accident coming back from San Tropez. I hope you are that Steve, lol? You bought a motor bike a Norton 850 I think. We used to go to Nickers night club in Handsworth on occasions. Great times - hope it is you? Is your brother still around?
yes im fine thanx, jamie too although he lost his wife to cancer last year. i live in solihull these days, have two grown up kids Jamie and Katie, and five grand children. i remember our trip to the south of france very well. when i think back i cant believe we found our way down there without sat nav! Ive had a couple of bikes since the Norton but more or less given up now. Jamie has two. I remember you had a Z1 kawasaki and i had to collect it with you from cradley heath motor cycles as you hadn`t passed your test! crazy days!

Back