• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Oxford Dictionary of Family Names

Spot on for my paternal grandmother's family name of Shrive - majority in Northamptonshire which is where they originated from.

Inaccurate for LONGMORE - they have it as West Midlands, but it originated in Ayrshire and was dispersed to 7 areas of England and also Ireland in the 14th Century. I have plenty of academic references to substantiate this.

Maurice :cool:

Sparks - my paternal grandmother was also called Shrive - her father - Alfred - originated from Northampton.

William.

That's very interesting - could be a relative!
I have some papers that a cousin sent to my father years ago with information about the Shrive family, I will look them out.
They lived in the Aston area when they moved to Brum.

Edit: it's not a very common surname is it?

Sparks

My Shrive family also moved from Northampton to Aston.

A relative spent a number of years researching the Shrive family. They are spread across the globe, often their surname got mis transcribed. Shrieve, Shribe, Shrove etc for example.

William.

Back