• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Overbury, Worcs

cookie273uk

master brummie
Overbury_Worcs_Dec_2010.JPG
normal_Overbury_Worcs_Dec_2010.JPG
This painting of Overbury is based on one of the excellent photos posted by John Knight, Winter is one of my 3 favourite subjects, the other 2 being still water and street scenes, although I will have a go at anything what appeals to me. EEric

Last edited:
John, have already downloaded those two and filed them in my "Winter Pics" file as potential future subjects, I have literally taken dozens of pics locally before the snow melted , may be a lomg time before we get that much snow again. Thanks Eric

I never do a painting direct from a photo, I always do a working drawing first , it gives me a feel for the subject a nd highlights any potential problems, attached is initial working pen and wash sketch.
Overbury2C_working_drawing.JPG

Last edited:
Nice photos and I like the working sketch/wash as well as the painting. I have many generation of my family in the ancient past living at Overbury and the small villages around.

Last edited:
Eric. What a superb painting. My Harris family originated in Overbury, having moved from 'down the road' in Ashchurch when William married Elizabeth Allard in St Faith church Overbury in 1743. There remained a Harris in the village until 1968 when the last of that clan died. Would you mind if I enlarged the picture and framed it? Also, I have a photo of St Faith Church. If I can find it now I will put it on the thread. We had a lovely day there several years ago to see where we came from. My side of the Harris's moved to Aston around 1849. Anyway Eric. Thanks again for such a lovely painting.
Lynda:)

Hello Lynda,
My daughter lives in School Lane in OVERBURY, and here's a photo of St. Faiths I have many photos of Overbury.

That is beautiful John. Very similar to the photo I have somewhere. Mary Harris died in Church Row Overbury and we took photos of the house. Present owners must have wondered what we were doing. Such a lovely area but my rellies were all farm labourers. Some were from Conderton just a stones throw from the Church and the school. Thank you to you and Eric.

This painting of Overbury is based on one of the excellent photos posted by John Knight, Winter is one of my 3 favourite subjects, the other 2 being still water and street scenes, although I will have a go at anything what appeals to me. EEric
Hi Eric!
Just found your painting. Love it. Delicate and gentle.
I found watercolour about a year ago. I spend many absorbing hours on it - my tea gets cold because I'm somewhere else. You know how it takes you........
All the best. Keep it up!

Smethwick Striver, yes agree, it is absorbing and time flies by. Why not put some examples of your work on "Original Art, I love to see other painters work. Eric

Have just received the delightful water colour from Eric. Dave says he will hang it for me above our fireplace. We are so impressed with such a beautiful present and also the original drawing which once framed can go in our bedroom. We feel very priviliged to now own an original painting of the place where my ancestors lived.

Eric what a wonderful talent you have - they are wonderful. Who knows in years to come they could be on Antiques Roadshow. Carol.

Back