• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Outwork- making mens armbands

jennyrose

proper brummie kid
As a small child in the early 60's my Mom used to do outwork for a factory making mens armbands. They were either chrome or brass coloured and we used to have to put very small springs into them for which Mom was paid a pittance. We had to help her get them finished in time and she used to treat us depending on how much help we were :smug: We used to go every fortnight with 2 boxes of completed armbands. I cannot remember which factory it was though. It was either in or very near to the city centre. Does anyone know which factory this would have been? I have tried googling various things but haven't found anything yet. Any help would be much appreciated.

My mom used to work at a small factory that made brooms and paint brushes, when she finished working there she made paint brushes at home, my sister did for a while. Dusty and horrible. but the coppers helped.

:peach:When I had my twins I used to make chamois [shammy] leathers to earn a few bob and also did typing for students. When we moved to Kidderminster Pete's boss brought a tiny hand press to our home and set it up in the porch. When the lads were asleep I used to put rivets into saucepan lids and handles. I used to earn up to twelve pounds a week which did very nicely in those days. Never went out to work till the lads were ten years of age and that was only in the evening to begin with teaching swimming at Great Barr Baths.:peach:

Hi jean
Was it was it not that place on Aston cross by the number eight bus stop by any chance that you was doing the chamies leather
Where they brought you boxes of leather bits and you had to put them on to string my mother and us as kids sat around the table and helped her
When we was little that was for pennies in those days when the old man died Alan,,,,,

Hi Jean
I remember it well we lived along the road next to Thompsons butchers and our grand parents had the coffee shop
Right on the corner of rocky lane and facing the golden cross if you recall the number eight bus stop was there as well
Facing the cross pub and as you stood there waiting for the bus to come up rocky lane from Nechells
You would be standing right out side of there door a dirty brown door with gates it was adjoining the coffee shop premises
And you would walk up stairs to there office and you would get a ball of string and boxes of leather off cuts of leather
They never paid much only pennies that's where they was , Alan,,

Last edited by a moderator:
As a small child in the early 60's my Mom used to do outwork for a factory making mens armbands. They were either chrome or brass coloured and we used to have to put very small springs into them for which Mom was paid a pittance. We had to help her get them finished in time and she used to treat us depending on how much help we were :smug: We used to go every fortnight with 2 boxes of completed armbands. I cannot remember which factory it was though. It was either in or very near to the city centre. Does anyone know which factory this would have been? I have tried googling various things but haven't found anything yet. Any help would be much appreciated.

hi jennyrose just catching up on older threads and noticed your post..maybe some members could come up with some ideas about the company your mom worked for...where did you live at the time and can you recall how you travelled to the company every fortnight..any info may help

lyn

Back