• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Outrigger

G

glaciermint

I was told recently that nobody seems to have been able to track down a pic of the Outrigger/Ship Ashore which was by Moor St station, so I hope the attached is of interest.

I can't remember much about it though I do seem to recall that you had to walk up a lot of stairs? Anybody else recall it?

Bob

Attachments

• City Moor St Outrigger.[1].jpg
    City Moor St Outrigger.[1].jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 35
Yeah remember it well a barmaid there used to give us free beer...happy days :D Mau-reece

Built 1967 i must have been one of the first there did all the electrical installation. Dek

I never thought the Ship Ashore looked very inviting from outside but then again.you should never judge a book by it's cover eh?

There is another picture around, but it is a very bad one. yours is much better. Used to visit it a lot when i first came to Brum. Phil and I both knew a (different) barmaid who worked there.it was quite nice inside, though scarcely a beutiful building from the outside
Mike

Bernard, our paths may have crossed, I did the banner you see in the photo, and knew Lisa quite well, I have a photo somewhere of her and my grandson on the boat.

Yes it seems they had quite a few barmaids at the Outrigger, it must have been 64-65 when I used it. My memory fails me a bit, but did it have an upstairs (up more stairs) room because I'm sure that is where the barmaid I knew worked.

Phil

Talking of rooms upstarirs, my brother in law Hoss left me a tape of a Sid Lawence broadcast on Radio 2 some years ago, the compere went to this pub with one of Sids
band, he said to the barmaid, what in the ploughmans lunch? she said"Theres bread, cheese, pickle, pork pie, and then half an hour upstairs with the barmaid,
the guy out of the band said, Whos pies are they? Bernard

Bernard, that little story has cracked me up :)
When I was working in Gopsal St. I used to frequent Moby Dicks... billed as 'Birmingham's only seafaring pub' I'd totally forgot about the Outrigger, or I'd have taken them to task!

I remember going to the Outrigger around 1969. Wasn't the floor in the upper room wavy to give the impression you were at sea?

I had totally forgot about The Outrigger until i seen this and it was a very popular pub

When used to go to the hairdessing academy in Digbeth,(opposite the bus station) on a Tuesday night, when I came out I used to walk towards town and go in a pub on the corner, I am sure it had a ship on the sign could it have been the outrigger or The gallon springs to mind?????? The church was on the other side of the road, we would have a quick drink before going to the West End

hi patty....i am pretty sure you are right about the ship sign...i seem to recall that too...think i only went in once or twice...

lyn

Yes the one on the corner had a massive ship sign on the wall. Was it called the Royal George?

Bob

hi bob...i think im getting confused :cry: i thought it was the pub in your pic that had the ship sign on it....i also seem to remember a royal george...

lyn

Back