• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Outer Circle No 11 Comments & Discussion On The Whole Route

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Outer Circle No 11.

Please make any comments or memories of the whole route here, or post photos of the route or types of buses used or anything that you know about the route that may be of interest to others.

I'm attaching a plan of the route which we have just taken, it not only shows the route but all the other bus services that it connected with. Never having used this route more than a half dozen stops it was all I had to work with to produce this pictorial journey so please forgive me if I got it wrong anywhere.

Attachments

• Outer Circle Route Map.jpg
    Outer Circle Route Map.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
As I said previously the number 11 outer circle route "was started in 1926 though sections had been run as early as 1923. The route today is about 27 miles in length and takes some two hours to complete ". Until Quite recently it was the longest bus route that was entirely within a city limits and at 27 miles was the longest urban bus route in Europe. In June 2013 The City of Coventry introduced the 31.5 mile 360 service pinching the number 11's crown.

When the route was introduced back in 1926 it was a pretty scenic route because as the name suggests it was on the outer edges of the city, but as Birmingham has grown some parts of it have become decidedly inner city.

More than 50,000 commuters every day use the Second City’s most famous bus service. It has 272 stops and serves 40 pubs, 69 leisure facilities, 233 schools, 19 retail centres and six hospital and one prison. It also links some 15 commercial centres, and passes Cadbury's in Bournville.

Last edited:
Did the walkathon around the outer circle at school in the 80s. Most of those places I hadn't heard of let alone seen. I remember my legs and feet were killing as I was coming through Stechford towards the finish. Would have been nice if I'd had camera with me.

Thanks for that, great photos. I was luckier with the weather than some there, nice and sunny when I did it.

I was looking through my collection of photos of old adverts for another thread when I came across this one, so I decided it would be better placed here. Because of the fifteen pence price tag and the mention of the Brum Trail 2 mention I'm pretty sure that it is not as old as it's making itself out to be. and it dates from the time of the Brum Trail 2 pamphlet which was published in 1975.

Attachments

• Advert 13 Outer Circle Bus.jpg
    Advert 13 Outer Circle Bus.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 18
Back