• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Outer circle Motorcycle run 1960's

streamboy

knowlegable brummie
Can anybody remember this run not sure what month of the year it was run in.
We used to stand on the car park of the Billesley pub where the bikes came in to park up for a rest.

It was great to see all of those old bikes all in running order and listen to tales of rusting wrecks rescued from barns and lovingly restored.

Seem to have mislaid my photos of this event so if anyone out there have photos or memories of this event, then it would be great to read see them.

I remember the run, they used to pull in and stop down in Stechford, near Parkinson Cowans Factory it wasn't untill some years later I discovered it was outside the Levis Motorcycle factory!

That's good its nice to now other people remember these events, I can remember passing the Levis factory.
My uncle Billy Birkett lived just down the road from there, we used to get off the bus and walk past the Atlas cinema, pop into the Pawn shop on the corner and drop off the old mans best suit so that mom could face the rent man instead of hiding when he knocked(youngsters these days with tax credits and the like, unaware of walking every where and eating dripping sandwiches during the week for meals).
Do you remember the fairground site next to the Manor pub.

HI Yes i recall the run as well ;and my mother inlaw used to live in mannor road just pass the coop bakery and it was on the hill of mannor rd and there house and garden used to over look the the railway and you could see some parts of the factortry of parlkinsons and when we sat in her house you culd hear there bull; [ claxon ]
sounding off for tea breaks and lunch time breaks and back to work and the end of the day for every body to finish work so we knnew what time of day it was constanly ;
the hicks at that time lived next door they came from ladywood so did my mother inlaw good old days i say ; its a pity we cannot turn back the clock
a troublesome free society ; and a steady pace of life now its so fast you have a job to think what day of the week its is ; [ well for me at least ]
once monday and tuesday as gone it s friday ; week end and start again; best wishes Astonian;;

That's good its nice to now other people remember these events, I can remember passing the Levis factory.
My uncle Billy Birkett lived just down the road from there, we used to get off the bus and walk past the Atlas cinema, pop into the Pawn shop on the corner and drop off the old mans best suit so that mom could face the rent man instead of hiding when he knocked(youngsters these days with tax credits and the like, unaware of walking every where and eating dripping sandwiches during the week for meals).
Do you remember the fairground site next to the Manor pub.
The fair still comes to that location a couple of times a year..
https://www.flickr.com/photos/48465313@N00/8046496501/in/photolist-dg3p5i-dg3pwi-fxxz3i-fxMSgN

and the Levis cup was mentioned on this thread..
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=41692&page=5

Back