• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

outer circle clippe

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
here is a nice pic of my friends mom who was a clippie on the outer circle 11 route..taken in her uniform in slade road...

amy wilson...c 1946...

Tanks for the picture, Astoness. "Clippies" or conductresses (they were called "conductorettes" in World War 1) were the unsung heroines of public transport. They are much more familiar now, of course. In my home town (Launceston, Tasmania), a good 60% of driver-conductors are women.

thanks for that thylacine i did not know that they were called conductourettes in ww1....its nice to know they are still around in some parts..:)

hi all..with ref to pic 1 of amy wilson in her clippies uniform...this is her husband to be.s drivers badge..it belonged to frederick anson who also worked the 11 route....

lyn

My mom,Edith, was a clippie around 1940/41. She worked the number 2 and 79 routes out of Miller Street Garage. She talks about the trams during the war and the blackouts. ..fascinating..

Bernie

yes bernie...i bet your moms stories are great to listen to...if she has any pics of miller st we would love to see them..

cheers

lyn

Back