• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Out Work

just some thoughts of mom's endeavours to bring in extra money to make life a bit easier my mom used to get outwork from Lawlers factory,
lamp shades binding the metal with tape before putting the material onto the lamp shade finishing off with a tassle ribbon glueing it on with a white paste another job making paste jewellery cementing the stones into posistion with an intoxicating liquid it use to smell like sweets very nauseating these then had to be wrapped in white tissue paper and packed in boxes then there was the rug making ripping old material into strips cutting them down to right size then using a wooden peg to make holes for inserting the strips into a hessian square to make a multi coloured rug there where other jobs called carding were you had to put small items on to a card ,hair grips, buttons, studs for mens collars and many other small items like these I wonder how much this brought in to help mom to eke a living one of the good things that came out of this was we all mucked in often sitting around the fire talking about many different things. A family together which you don't see much of to day
have you any such memories (Mom's were great)
Remember it well my mom “did the shades” too. Wallace Lawler was a local councillor I recall.His factory had a big fire in the 60s .we lived at 2/17 Geach St

Back