• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Personal research projects

Peter Walker

gone but not forgotten
It occurred to me that some of us may start on some project and spend a lot of time on it, only to find that someone else has done it already, or that others could advise them of new avenues or pitfalls. Would it be a good idea to put up a list of the various things people are actively engaged on, so that others can chip in as they feel worth while.
For starters, I have spent the last few days transcribing the publicans section of the classified trades directories for 1858, 1865 and am now on 1868. I'm putting them on Excel, with fields labelled NAME, STREET, HOUSE NO., DISTRICT, B'HAM POSTAL NO., and then each YEAR OF DIRECTORY. In these I insert the name of the licensee, surname first. It is quite a massive task and should keep me from troubling Rod for a few weeks. I have got 10 over 900 pub names already, without the beerhouses (whose names are not listed - only the licensee) where I got to 1150-odd in 1858 alone!
Any one have any comments?
Peter

An excellent idea Peter. In researching my family's history I have been drawn into such things as the history of Lichfield Street and its surrounding areas; the lives of the people who worked an lived there in the nineteenth century;the dyeing trade; the economic background in nineteenth cetury Birmingham and how it effected ordinary people. What was the effects on people in the Lichfield Street area when Corporation Street was built; marriage and baptism at local churches such as St Phillips; why so many ceromonies were performed over the Christmas period; and so on. All subjects that require time spent in the Birmingham archives which is difficult for us that no longer live in Birmingham

Sounds good and sensible to me.......................I only wish I could add something of use.........

Anyone want to know about new varicose ulcer initiatives?

One for Michael, the Old Fariers Arms, Lichfield St 1880       (c) Ansells

This may be a bit premature but I'm hoping, later this year, to set up a website to cover the history of Small heath/ Sparkbrook and that side of brum. My hope is that I can include it as part of the BHWR
I've discussed this with Rod before his illness and he's been very helpful so when he's back up to full speed we might be able to get something going.

Peter, good luck with your project, it will be of great interest to me as I have found a lot of publicans in my family tree. I hope it will be easy to access as I have only limited ability on the computer.

I have no projects of my own going on but am willing to add any scraps of information I might have to those of you who have.

If we can help in any way Displaying your research, or making it available for download then let us know, we would be more than pleased to be of assistance.

Back