• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Our Lady of Lourdes, Yardley Wood

Bishopsmate

master brummie
I have searched for this Church on here and can find nowt.
I went to the Junior and Infant School and can remember having our Mass etc, in the School Hall. There was a big archway with red curtains across when we used it as the school hall and when there was a service the curtains were opened and the Sacristy revealed.
The Parish Priest, Reverend Murphy, decided to build a Church and called all the Parishioners together for a dinner at Solihull Civic Hall. The meal was free and all were invited, each of us had an invitation, my parents and me along with my fiancee as we were due to get married the next year, so I would think this was about 1964/5.
Anyhow off we went for the free meal - nothing in life is free, not even when it is offered by a priest!!!
The Civic Hall was full and after our Starter, Father Murphy stood up and announced he had brought us all together under false pretences. Our meal was free but there was a condition ................. we all had to sign to say we would pay 2s 6d (12.5 new pence) per week on top of our offerings towards the building of a new Church. Once we had signed up we would be served the rest of our meal, if we didn't want to sign up then we could leave now and there would be no hard feelings!

Needless to say we signed, as did the majority of families present. Not only was the new Church of Our Lady of Lourdes paid for this way but enough money was raised to build the new Church of St Ambrose Barlow in Hall Green.
I wondered if anyone had any other memories of the Church or photos or could confirm this recollection.

living in Warstock in the 1950/60s Fr Murphy was our parish priest and Our Lady of Lourdes our main church even if it was in the school hall. We also had our own little church in Glenavon Rd called St Judes that was a simple prefab hut. I always felt sorry for Fr Murphy such a large parish and not a real church to work from but his hardwork was seen everywhere

Hi - Don't recall this but my sister might as she would still be living at home when it happened. I was also not aware of any links with the church in Hall Green though recall Fr Murphy being involved in a church at Warstock.

I attended Our Lady of Lourdes School up until 1954 when I went to Bishop Challenor in Kings Heath.

Our Lady of Lourdes was my parish church from the late 70s until the mid 80s. I often heard the priest talk about the 'other' church that the parishioners had paid for but never realised that Our Lady of Lourdes church was so new. It had the feeling of being a much older building, I am surprised that it was only 10 years old and was built in the 60s.

When I walked to school the area that the church now stands upon was part of the lawned garden. The church was all but completed when my sister got married but due to a slight delay she had to be married in the Church Hall with photos taken outside the new church.

I have a photo taken in front of the altar, my son's baptism. I can still remember the beautiful painying/mosaic(?) behind the altar

living in Warstock in the 1950/60s Fr Murphy was our parish priest and Our Lady of Lourdes our main church even if it was in the school hall. We also had our own little church in Glenavon Rd called St Judes that was a simple prefab hut. I always felt sorry for Fr Murphy such a large parish and not a real church to work from but his hardwork was seen everywhere

Would that be the one on that patch of ground, at the junction with Highters Heath Lane, Keith ?

Yes that was the one Baz - my Aunt and Uncle's family went there.

Yes it was on the corner of Highters Heath Lane the plan was to relocate on Druids Heath but I left the area so dont know if the plan went ahead. Could people be getting Hall Green mixed up with Druids Heath ?

Re The Church of St Ambrose Barlow in Hall Green:

The Church & Presbytery are located on Lakey Lane, Hall Green, Birmingham, West Midlands B28 8QU

Last edited by a moderator:
I have searched for this Church on here and can find nowt.
I went to the Junior and Infant School and can remember having our Mass etc, in the School Hall. There was a big archway with red curtains across when we used it as the school hall and when there was a service the curtains were opened and the Sacristy revealed.
The Parish Priest, Reverend Murphy, decided to build a Church and called all the Parishioners together for a dinner at Solihull Civic Hall. The meal was free and all were invited, each of us had an invitation, my parents and me along with my fiancee as we were due to get married the next year, so I would think this was about 1964/5.
Anyhow off we went for the free meal - nothing in life is free, not even when it is offered by a priest!!!
The Civic Hall was full and after our Starter, Father Murphy stood up and announced he had brought us all together under false pretences. Our meal was free but there was a condition ................. we all had to sign to say we would pay 2s 6d (12.5 new pence) per week on top of our offerings towards the building of a new Church. Once we had signed up we would be served the rest of our meal, if we didn't want to sign up then we could leave now and there would be no hard feelings!

Needless to say we signed, as did the majority of families present. Not only was the new Church of Our Lady of Lourdes paid for this way but enough money was raised to build the new Church of St Ambrose Barlow in Hall Green.
I wondered if anyone had any other memories of the Church or photos or could confirm this recollection.

Your memories are right. I went to the school from 1959 - 65. It was a lovely small school. I remember some of the teachers and my absolute favourite, Mrs Vaughn who was so kind. Mr O' Sullivan was the head teacher. Everyone has a story about Father Murphy who spent a life time obtaining money for the "new church".
ps.My sister, Caroline, was also married there too.

Your memories are right. I went to the school from 1959 - 65. It was a lovely small school. I remember some of the teachers and my absolute favourite, Mrs Vaughn who was so kind. Mr O' Sullivan was the head teacher. Everyone has a story about Father Murphy who spent a life time obtaining money for the "new church".
My sister, Caroline, was also married there too.

I was married there, Father Murphy was called away so Father Riley married us... I was a bit concerned at Father Murphy marrying us as I couldn't always understand him!
I didn't know that St Ambrose Barlow in Hall Green was built and paid for by Father Murphy until I moved into that part of Hall Green. The debt was paid off in 1984ish and announced during the Sunday Notices!!! Another committed Priest at St Ambrose.

I was married there, Father Murphy was called away so Father Riley married us... I was a bit concerned at Father Murphy marrying us as I couldn't always understand him!
I didn't know that St Ambrose Barlow in Hall Green was built and paid for by Father Murphy until I moved into that part of Hall Green. The debt was paid off in 1984ish and announced during the Sunday Notices!!! Another committed Priest at St Ambrose.
Does anyone remember the Duane family who used Our Lady of Lourdes in 1970's/ 1980's?... the daughter was married there in 1985 Bernie?

Test your memories for stories from past days at Our Lady of Lourdes! I was there 1959 - 1965/6 (World cup year). Who can you recall, what can you recall? Paul Hutchinson; Paul Shobrook; The hut; The american kid; Teresa Peyton;

Noting the comments about the newer churches, built in the mid and late 20th. century reminds me that a large percentage of Catholic churches, in the UK, are fairly new. With the current lockdown the main resource for those who wish to follow their faith will be to watch live streaming. Notable in Britain and Eire are the large number of newer churches which, in many cases are quite colourful.
I have a link for anyone wishing to watch live services from Catholic churches - if they do not already have one.
Send me a Private Message through the BHF system.

Test your memories for stories from past days at Our Lady of Lourdes! I was there 1959 - 1965/6 (World cup year). Who can you recall, what can you recall? Paul Hutchinson; Paul Shobrook; The hut; The american kid; Teresa Peyton;
I remember both Pauls, the hut, and who could possibly forget Teresa Peyton? I was at olol at the same time and I’m trying to remember a Peter but can’t. Some other names Vince Jepson, Paul Walmsley, Johnny Kingston, Stuart Wilson

I remember both Pauls, the hut, and who could possibly forget Teresa Peyton? I was at olol at the same time and I’m trying to remember a Peter but can’t. Some other names Vince Jepson, Paul Walmsley, Johnny Kingston, Stuart Wilson
Hi Jim, I recall the names Paul W (his dad was also a teacher), John Kingston who used to bite his arm when angry or frightened, and Stuart W. Perhaps I was a very quiet child, lol. I was the child who had a serious accident outside of school and returned a different child. I was put into the class for kids not expected to do well shall we say. My mother got me out of it. I wonder if you remember that class? It was a small room on second floor, top of stairs next to class 8, I think David Dowling was in it and I think John Kingston. Teacher Mrs Vaughn was amazing and kind. I have a photo of all the boys about 8 years. When I see the picture I recall the names of each boy. If you are interested I will try to post.

Hi Jim, I recall the names Paul W (his dad was also a teacher), John Kingston who used to bite his arm when angry or frightened, and Stuart W. Perhaps I was a very quiet child, lol. I was the child who had a serious accident outside of school and returned a different child. I was put into the class for kids not expected to do well shall we say. My mother got me out of it. I wonder if you remember that class? It was a small room on second floor, top of stairs next to class 8, I think David Dowling was in it and I think John Kingston. Teacher Mrs Vaughn was amazing and kind. I have a photo of all the boys about 8 years. When I see the picture I recall the names of each boy. If you are interested I will try to post.
Hi Peter, i remember Mrs Vaughan well, class 4. She called me to her desk one day and asked me if I had a brother, “no Miss” I answered, “well you do now” she replied. That how the birth of my only brother was announced to me. Happy times. I have a picture too from our first Holy Communion. If you have a different one I’d be interested.

Hi Peter, i remember Mrs Vaughan well, class 4. She called me to her desk one day and asked me if I had a brother, “no Miss” I answered, “well you do now” she replied. That how the birth of my only brother was announced to me. Happy times. I have a picture too from our first Holy Communion. If you have a different one I’d be interested.
Hi Jim, that is such a story of the time and made me smile. You have not commented on other parts of my comment so I guess they are not something you recall. I am delighted that you have a FHC photo and prepared to share. I think mine might also be a FHC or perhaps a May Day pic. The reason I ask questions of the past is that I lost several years of memory as a consequence of the accident. But the photo I mentioned brings back the names of the people in it but almost nothing else. I am going to try and upload it now - black and white of course. Would love it if you would be kind enough to do the same. It may be a different pic. All the best.

Jim I have just looked at the photo again. And can see you in between David Dowling and Paul Shobrook? Im thinking your mum was a teacher?

Jim I have just looked at the photo again. And can see you in between David Dowling and Paul Shobrook?

Hi Jim - hope you enjoy the pic. Are you in it?
Great photo.
Pity it is not in colour but judging by the dark sashes (maroon?) it was most likely Corpus Christi so first Holy Communion. May would have been blue for Our Lady so probably lighter in colour.

Jim I have just looked at the photo again. And can see you in between David Dowling and Paul Shobrook?
Peter yes that’s me. I have the same photo, attached. Regarding your accident, I have no recollection, but assume it was kept from us, all things were hushed up in those days. I remember David Dowling too. I was in class 8 at the end but don’t remember the room you mentioned. Yes, my Mom was a teacher there. I came across this post while searching for Paul Hutchinson, I often think of him and wonder how his life has been. We got up to mischief from time to time, getting canned together by sullybags. Attaching my FHC photo, hope it makes it.

Back