• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Our Khazi

Oisin

gone but not forgotten
I know I posted this before but can't remember whether it was here or on Ted Rudge's Winson Green site. If it was on here I s'pose I'll hear about it soon enough from SuBee - our vigilant but friendly :knuppel2: moderator ;) ...

OUR KHAZI

Our khazi; out the back door, sharp right passed the brew house on the right, then sharp right again and second on the left. Unlike other more unfortunates, our khazi was our own – we didn’t have to share it with anyone and there was only one neighbouring toilet attached to it. At the other end of the yard there were three more. All five were brick built (probably better than the houses) with reinforced flat concrete roofs.

The tradition was to have pages of the Sports Argus cut into squares and hung on a nail, to be used for cleaning purposes. As I was the youngest of seven, I’m not sure if this was the practice in my family before I came along, as all I can remember is having train timetables (Father worked on the railways). This, we were assured, was of a far superior softness to newspaper. It also gave the added benefit of improving your geography whilst letting your mind wonder over all the exotically named stations between New Street and Euston.

From that we graduated (a debatable term) to Izal toilet paper (Mother worked as a cleaner for a large local company). For some strange reason, Izal toilet paper (no tissue in those days) was shiny on one side and rough on the other. I never did figure out which side was meant to face the bum – the shiny side slipped and the other made you sore.

Of course the Sports Argus, Blue Mail, Evening Despatch or Daily Mirror made there way into our khazi, but only as reading material. The Argus was my brother’s favourite. He spent so much time in this makeshift library that in winter he would take a handmade brazier with him to prevent hypothermia. It consisted of an old paint tin riddled with nail holes and filled with live embers from the fire.

Winter provided more problems than keeping my brother from freezing to the wooden seat. In icy weather, there was the real danger of slipping up en route. This was overcome by blazing a trail of ashes from the back door to the khazi door. Then there was the fear of the plumbing freezing up. Burning a Kelly oil lamp continuously through the worst of the season prevented this. Left on a low light, it was enough to keep the water liquid and provide just about enough light for reading.

Having no electric illumination that distance from the house, finding your way and seeing what you were doing once you got there could be problematic. In the long cold nights of winter, frightened of the dark, my teenage sisters would never make a solo trip. One would always accompany the other, bearing a candle to light the way.

The highlight of the winter season was Bonfire Night. For my brother, a ‘closet’ arsonist with aspirations of being a pyrotechnician, this was the opportunity to show the world what he was really made of. He would spend a fortune on fireworks and adapt our khazi roof as his stage and launch pad for the best display in Wellington Street. Kids would come from near and as far away as Foundry Road to watch him ignite some of the most exotic Roman candles, skyrockets and Katherine Wheels available in the Western World. All would gasp in awe at the pinnacle of the night, when he would set off several bangers, simultaneously, under a dustbin lid to see how high he could lift it.

Summer saw our khazi adapted for other leisure activities. Many were the hours my two sisters would spend up on its roof, soaking up the sun. Up they’d go in their swimsuits, fully equipped with suntan oil (no lotion in those days), magazines to stave off boredom, lemonade to prevent dehydration, and straw hats and sunglasses to block the worst of the sun’s rays. There they’d lie on the whitewashed flat roof, soaking up the sun, closed eyes, imagining they were with Princess Grace in Monaco. To bring a little more reality to the proceedings, I once had an idea of painting the roof a nice shade of blue. I imagined it would raise our status by convincing aeroplane passenger that we had a swimming pool in our back garden - sadly I never got round to it.

Then the time came for us to finally leave our Wellington Street abode for the decadence of Ladywood, a bathroom, soft toilet tissue and hot and cold running water (our only previous experience of that was when the wind took a few slates off the roof). I can still recall the sadness of us all as we bade our last farewell to that outside khazi, the centre of our family life, which had served us so well for all those years.

To this day I can recall my last vision of our khazi: It was on a subsequent, nostalgic visit to the old end, that I saw it; the very last structure to be demolished in the redevelopment; it was half tumbled with the roof supporting an old car – overflow from the neighbouring scrap yard, which, in former days had been a very productive allotment.

Gone forever are those happy days but they will stay with me until the day I die. And, when I think back on those memories, I can clearly hear my father’s voice ringing out like a timely bell across the eons of time with those immortal words, 'We're out of the bum fodder again, Jess!'

THE END (or is it?)​

Its safe Oisin - not read this one on here afore (thinking about it your duplicates usually have 'Shirl' in the thread title) ^-^

Obviously way before my time ::)................. However it amazes me how many people still have outside loos that they still use

Oisin I will now print it for the next time I go to theKHAZI :2funny: Won't go on the Roof it slopes

Alf, ours sloped as well but that didn't put tip the girls off.
538.gif
538.gif

Oisin - I hope that you do not mind that I read out this piece to my writing class (U3A - University of the Third Age - do you have it there?) All of them except me and one other woman are from UK and they will love this. The other lady and me are the only Tasmania born members of the class, and I'm proud of that. I am sixth generation Tasmanian.
Now - I can reveal some of my own experiences of what we call "The Outhouse" or "The Thunderbox" here in Oz. My grandmother lived on an orchard in southern Tasmania and the loo was quite a walk away from the house. At night there was no light at all and you had to fumble your way up there to do the necessary. By day it was worse - the outhouse was adorned with so many spiderwebs that were hanging with big hairy spiders we call Huntsmen. Alf - you know that I am an arachnophobic! Our paper consisted only of newspaper I'm afraid - cut into disjointed squares so there was no educational value left :) The horrors of these visits played havoc with my insides I can tell you. :buck2:
I recall reading "Cheaper by the Dozen" and how the dad put all their French lessons I think on the back of the toilet door. I had relatives who had a library in their loo - from the youngest to mum and dad had a book to read. I remember the youngest son had "The Diggingness Dog" to read and I read it too!

Happy sitting mate!

Kate,
That's fine with me. :D I believe it important that these treasures of our heritage should be brought to the attention of as wide an audience as possible. Good luck with it. O0

I once had a long chat to an Ozzie from Queensland about her experiences with what she called the "long drop". Amongst other stories was one of her knocking it down with the "ute" when she was learning to drive. Granddad, who reading in there at the time, had a terrible shock but, fortunately, escaped any serious injury.
besetzt.gif

I wonder if all this Newsprint in ourKHAZIgave us our love of words :2funny:

Read Oisins Khazi piece today to my writing class (with his permission). They loved it. One Scottish lady related her memories - similar stuff - but she also worked in Port Morseby (New Guinea) as a nurse in a Leper Colony - and the collection of effluence happened in the late evening. So everyone went out to do "the necessary" before they went to bed. BUT if you happened to be "sitting there" when the collectors came they opened the trapdoor behind where you were sitting and whisked off the bucket - no matter if you were finished or not!!!

I am so glad I came across this and will go mooching again to find something as interesting although I very much doubt it?. Thanks Paul for that.

One further thought. It was always newspaper that was torn into squares and threaded on string, but my wifes parents always saved tissue paper from oranges as a special toilet paper `treat`just for Grandma ! I remember San Izal made wonderful tracing paper for copying !

Ours had a wide wooden seat and when the bathroom was built on in 1956 Dad saved the wood to mend the back gate!
I remember the "kelly lamp" to stop it freezing up in winter. The draught blew under the door, so I didn't like it very much, especially as the light switch was in the kitchen and people would turn it off "by mistake"!

absolutely superb, my wife who lived in the back to backs in Balsall Heath laughed like a drain when I read this out to her, she could relate exactly to the situation you describe, written with a lovely touch of humour.

I have never read so much about a "bog" before, I can only say the thing I miss most about the cold, spidery, damp, dark, wooden seated, carbolic smelling, draughty place was the entertaining conversation you could have with the ajoining fellow sufferer.
paul

Back